Coffee Pots

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby Gaelen » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:57 am

brettweir wrote:BILLYL you said that you have a stove top expresso maker, Do you know the make?

Google Bialetti or Moka Express and you'll see this one:
http://www.espressoplanet.com/bialetti_ ... _maker.htm

If you're anywhere near a Marshall's or TJ Maxx, they have the aluminum version of this pot all the time for around $8-$12 depending on size.

My camp boiler is in fact a GSI 2 quart percolater, but I just never use the perc parts. So I dug them out and put in a filter and made some awesome coffee this morning on the electric stove:

5 cups of water
6 coffee scoops of coarse ground coffee (the supermarket where I get my beans has a grinder with a 'percolater--coarse' setting)

My grandfather used to say one scoop for each cup and one for the pot, so that's where I started.
Bring the coffee to a boil (a steady perking) and then turn the heat down to med-low and let it continue to slow but steady perk for 10 minutes.

Pour and enjoy.

Amy H asked:
what type of filter did you use for it?

I keep some basket style filters in the camping box in case I need them on the road; this morning I just punched a hole in the middle of one of those. However, Brew-Rite does make a circular filter for percolator baskets and so does Melitta; I've seen both in the local grocery store.
Gaelen
2006-2011: '79 SunLine Sun Spot
now: '05 Finntec homebuilt teardrop
My blogs: Life Out Loud, Kitchen Jam and Dog Trainer's Log.
Syracuse Dog Training and @gaelen2 on Twitter
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby dreadcptflint » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:07 pm

have the same exact percolator as MaryK as well, but I guess I have been doing it wrong. I think I am doing two things wrong: wrong grind for the coffee, and I am just not good at seeing when it is done. I just can't seem to tell when the color is just right.

dreadcptflint, what type of filter did you use for it? I didn't know there were paper filters that you could use in it. I'll have to try your suggestions and see if I can get a better brew with it.

Geron, I ended up purchasing the Aeropress. I'm anxious to try it out. Should get it in about a week.

Amy, I found it at a local safeway a few years back. They have a hole in the center and each of the corners has a hole. Here is a link to a product on amazon that I found: http://tinyurl.com/2ps88q
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Lynn Coleman » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:25 pm

Well I picked up a Faberware percolator at a yard sale today for $1.50. We'll need to change the plug, it has a crack in the hard plastic housing, apart from that the pot is in excellent condition. Now, this will work while we're camping with electric hookup but I'll still need something for Paul when we're camping without electric and I'm giving serious consideration to that aeropress.

Lynn
Lynn Coleman
Donating Member

Postby FireLion » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:31 pm

Cabela's carries a 12 volt coffeemaker with a decent price, around $35 I think. They also carry a lot of stuff I plan on getting such as a porta-potti enclosure, solar shower, Various tarps, awnings, heaters, etc.
'How can ya get away from it all if ya take it all with ya?'
2004 Ford Escape Ltd.
2012 Coleman tent-no wheels, no A/C, no hitch
FireLion
500 Club

Postby Lonnie Gillette » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:01 am

Check out my avatar. There's nothin' like a pot of cowboy coffee in the morning!
Lonnie Gillette
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MrBuzz » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:45 am

Morning campground coffee RULES!!! There Is Nothing better!!
Even though I know perking coffee is not the best way to make coffee...I use a large aluminum perk/pot that I found at a second hand store. I think it is a 24-cup unit. I don't make that much coffee, but the large pot can double as my water heater when it comes time for washing dishes.
To make coffee I add water to the twelve cup line, put 7 heaping spoons of really good coffee into the basket and put it on my Coleman stove. When it starts to perk I let it go for only 4-5 minutes...water doesn't have to go through grounds too many times to get all the flavor out. Any longer and the coffee starts to get bitter.
The secret to good coffee, no matter what method you use, is to start with the best beans or ground coffee you can afford. Most supermarket brands aren't going to taste good no matter what method you use. A good friend of mine said "Good coffee is a quality of life issue"...and I heartily agree.
Generic Benroy - built 2007, 4X8, 1175 HF trailer, Structoglass roof and headliner, 12v and 110v electrics with Schumacher charger.
MrBuzz
Teardrop Master

Postby AmyH » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:15 am

dreadcptflint, thanks for the link to the filters. I will definitely have to give that a shot and see if I can get the percolator to work out better for me.
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby BILLYL » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:17 am

brettweir wrote:BILLYL you said that you have a stove top expresso maker, Do you know the make? I would love to bring mine but don't ussually have 120vac when camping. I have a serious coffee addiction. I use the coleman drip coffee maker with the tear. I added a reusable filter. the fine mesh type. adds to taste imoa. Any info on the expresso maker would be great

I got it sometime ago. Picked it up at REI store. Does a great job. It is different then the one Joseph linked to. Check it out

http://tinyurl.com/73e2a

Thanks

Bill
"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll
gonna murder you in your sleep...." Frank Zappa
BILLYL
Donating Member

Postby brettweir » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:32 am

Thanks Bill, I didn't know so many of these were avalible. Now I just need to pick one out. Thanks again.
brettweir
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MSG Hall » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:02 am

Had a big attack the other night and I got no sleep… I then drank so much coffee I got the sweats and shakes… :? not use to that much caffeine. And our coffee here is terrible!
{its Bruce to my friends}

camping and hunting knives custom made by a good friend of mine... www.sharpeknives.com/
MSG Hall
The 300 Club

Postby Geron » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:37 am

brettweir wrote:Thanks Bill, I didn't know so many of these were avalible. Now I just need to pick one out. Thanks again.

If you want to use the Moka pot to brew, this thread will give you far more input and technique than you would EVER want.

http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/220503

Geron

p.s. To me the coffee is "ok" from a moka pot but the cleanup is more than I like to get involved in.

Geron
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby madjack » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:33 am

...after reading for 4 pages, I thought I's thrrow my grounds in...when camping, I use a 12 cup blueware percolator...I also use a coarse ground 'frech roast' coffee and chicory...a very strong dark roast...putting the pot on the campstove without the guts init, I wait for it to hit boil, lower the fire to absolute minimum, drop the guts back in and let it perk for 5minutes...GOOD COFFEE...the trick to stovetop perks, is not to let it perk too long or you burn/scald the coffee...at home, I use what is known as a french drip or sock pot, this makes a coffee concentrate...add hot water to a cup(3/4) and fil the rest with concentrate...this the true Cajun way of making coffee...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby mrchuc » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:50 am

madjack wrote:putting the pot on the campstove without the guts init, I wait for it to hit boil, lower the fire to absolute minimum, drop the guts back in and let it perk for 5minutes...GOOD COFFEE
madjack 8)

:thinking: Hmmm....I am not sure I am understanding this method. Do I have it right that the coffee and the water are in the pot when it comes to a boil? Then you put the tube and perk basket back in and perk the pot?

What happens to the grounds? Do they perk up into the basket? I would have expected that things would get clogged up, but they must not, since your method obviously works (or you wouldn't do it.) :)

Just curious. ;)
Rolling lightly upon the Earth,

Chuc
mrchuc
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:58 am

...nope. no ground in the water, they are in the strainer basket...with just the water in the pot...once it gets to a boil, I drop in the perk tube/strainer basket(and slam the lid on quickly)...I have found this allows me to time the perk better for a better tasting brew.........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Laredo » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:11 pm

Melitta makes a "wrap filter" for a perc that come in a package of about 30 for $1.

This stops all grounds in perked coffee.

I use one of these:

to hold a #2 paper filter in the Melitta 1-cup maker over a 1-quart mason jar.

You could probably use a Vietnamese press while camping, particularly if you only want to make coffee for 1 drinker. I had a similar system for backpacking/business travel several years ago, using the insides of a camp perc out of which the bottom had rusted.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion