Liquid Ceramic

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Liquid Ceramic

Postby mikeschn » Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:04 am

If I was still looking for a way to cover or coat my teardrop, I would probably use liquid ceramic. The salesman was over at the house last night, and he said he can coat the teardrop for somewhere between $200 and $500.

The stuff is like a really thick paint, but it doesn't peel like paint. And the best part. It has an R value of 24. WOW. Do you know how many inches of polystyrene I need to get an R value of 24? Probably 4 or 5 inches!!! With a coating like this I wouldn't even need to insulate my tear. I guess they also use this stuff on the bottom of the space shuttle!!!

They have a website if anyone wants to investigate further...
http://www.liquidceramic.com/features-benefits.htm

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby R Keller » Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:20 pm

Mike,

Where did you get the R-value from for the Liquid Ceramic paint? I didn't see anything on their website about that. Before you scrap the polystyrene insulation plans, make sure you check into that further! Sounds like that salesman might be feeding you a line. The paint looks very good in all other respects though.

You can't really get away from the need for material thickness (to entrap air or other gases) to produce R-value. I've read that some spacecraft use a special material that has hundreds of really thin layers of metal with really small air gaps in between to produce a large insulating value without a lot of thickness. But that stuff would be insanely expensive.

A simple coating (paint, etc.) won't produce any appreciable insulating value. It can, however, reduce the rate of heat buildup on the surface from solar gain (do a search on elastomeric roof coatings). And this will make the insulation more efficient in terms of slowing the transmission of heat from the surface through the wall. Generally the whiter and smoother the surface, the better. Although there are some new paints with ceramic particles (including this paint?) that work almost as well with dark colors.

Hope this helps!

Rik
R Keller
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:23 pm

Hey Rik,

Glad you could make it!

The salesman had a bunch of certified reports from testing that was done on the liquid ceramic. I didn't bother copying that. I did copy this brochure though... I thought it would be enough to remind me! :)

R Keller wrote:Mike,

Where did you get the R-value from for the Liquid Ceramic paint? I didn't see anything on their website about that. Before you scrap the polystyrene insulation plans, make sure you check into that further! Sounds like that salesman might be feeding you a line. The paint looks very good in all other respects though.

Rik
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby R Keller » Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:01 pm

Mike,

Beware!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/realestate/homeimprovement/chi-0205100017may10,0,2191427.story?coll=chi-classifiedhomeimprove-hed

"The FTC's report noted, "Dealers of 'Multi-Gard' liquid siding have agreed to settle Federal Trade Commission charges that ads claiming their product provided consumers with an insulation value of R-20 were unsubstantiated and violated federal law." (The R-value of 20 refers to resistance to heat loss.) The report went to say that "the FTC alleged that the companies did not have a reasonable basis for making the claims.""

http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/pubs/energyqa/q2.htm"The Florida Solar Energy Center has tested ceramic paints and found them to have no significant advantage over ordinary paint in terms of their ability to retard heat gains through exterior building surfaces. These products are generally composed of elastomeric coating products to which ceramic beads have been added. When tested side by side with the same elastomeric coating that doesn't have ceramic beads, both products have virtually the same heat-gain retarding performance. The product may have other worthy benefits like durability, but any energy-saving benefits it has can also be achieved without the ceramic beads. In Florida, choosing an efficient exterior coating means picking one with a light color to reflect heat."

see: http://www.ftc.gov/os/2002/04/krytoncmplnt.htm
for FTC ruling

Rik
R Keller
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:55 am

Well that's good to know. I would love to believe that a paint has an r-24 value, but in reality, I know it doesn't. So I've insulated with polystyrene and I have an R-7.5 in the teardrop. That will have to do!!!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Jiminsav » Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:43 pm

man, this thread proves my axium..don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you read!!!!..
R-24 my big ol' insulated butt!!!
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Return to General Discussion