Modernistic, Cub, Modernaire ????

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Modernistic, Cub, Modernaire ????

Postby dguff » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:37 pm

Ok, I know all of the mentioned teardrops have very similar, if not identical, profiles. So what is the difference between them?? I also know they were all sold about the same time period. Does anyone have the answer as to the different names? Curious since I just bought a 1947 Cub and had previously built a Modernistic clone. Thanks for any enlightenment.

Jerome :?
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Gage » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:45 pm

Are you sure it's a Cub or is that what the seller called it? :lol: Jerome, you need to get a hold of Grant. Now that man would know. :yes:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby dguff » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:52 pm

I'm confident Grant will know. I bought my Modernistic profile plan from him. The seller has consistently referred to it as a Cub but I won't know for sure until I see it. It really doesn't make any difference to me which of the three it might be. I really like that profile.

Jerome
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby grant whipp » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:40 pm

O.K., since I'm here anyway ... :lol: ... :lol: ... I'll give you the short version:

The Modernistic, Cub, Modernaire, and Marvel-Dwyer (along with some other obscure & regional names) were all cut from the same dies, somewhere in Southern California, beginning about 1946 and running into the mid-'50s. We don't know the name of the company or the mill that stamped out all the parts, but we do know the name of at least one of the many distributors: National Trailer Stores in Los Angeles.

Cubs were generally the economy models, with only the ice box in the galley counter with an open shelf above, and usually a single shelf in the cabin. The early ones had basic boat-trailer style aluminum fenders, but the later ones got the more stylish fenders associated with the Modernistic, Ken-Skill, and SlumberCoach

Modernistics were the mid-level models, with most getting stoves in the galley and some getting cabinets, with an additional shelf at the front of the cabin.

Both Cubs and Modernistics were available in kit form, where you asembled them like a giant Erector Set. Some Cub kits came with leaf-springs and beam axle, but most (like all Modernistic kits) had the torsion-type.

Modernaires and Marvel-Dwyers seem to be the top-of-the-line models, with both having more elaborate cabinetry, and more than a few Modernaires were built with a door on the street side.

And, just to confuse us even more, all of them had radius-corner windows in the early years, but some kept installing them for a year or two longer, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to who or why got what ... :?

There's a whole lot more to the history of this particular style of teardrop, but that'll give you enough info to get you in trouble ... :lol: ... :lol: ...

I'll be eager to see your new acquisition, Jerome? And, in the meantime ...

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:58 pm

:roll: :R And not a picture one. :thinking:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Gage » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:16 pm

:lol: I just happen to have a couple. :thinking:

Image Image

From the interior pic, looks like it could be a Modernistic. :thinking:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby grant whipp » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:10 am

Miriam C. wrote::roll: :R And not a picture one. :thinking:

Didn't ya notice, Miriam ... I pre-qualified that by saying it was the short version ... ;) ...

If ya want the l-o-n-g version (complete with color glossy photographs), you'll havta wait 'til the book comes out ... :D ...! And, the book won't come out 'til it gets published ... :o ...! But then, the bookhouse won't publish it 'til we finish writing it! ... :roll: ...

It's always somthin' ... ain't it ... :lol: ... :lol: ... :lol: ... :lol: ...?
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby angib » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:32 am

grant whipp wrote:But then, the bookhouse won't publish it 'til we finish writing it!

It's a constant disappointment to me how picky some people can be......... :(

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:30 am

angib wrote:
grant whipp wrote:But then, the bookhouse won't publish it 'til we finish writing it!

It's a constant disappointment to me how picky some people can be......... :(

Andrew

I guess anything I say to this, especially about internet and pictures, will amount to volunteering, which I am not doing so I will hush up. 8)

:lol: Thanks for the picture Gage. :thumbsup: You guys are all the best. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby asianflava » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:03 am

Well Grant, thanks for the short version. I couldn't figure out what the differences were. I just figured that it was a case of people calling one thing different names.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby dguff » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:54 am

Thanks for the info Grant and thanks to Gage for posting the pics. It does have two doors and cabinets both front and rear in the cabin area. We will just have to wait and see.

Jerome :)
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:51 pm

Good synopsis! Thanks Grant!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby BrwBier » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:09 pm

grant whipp wrote:
Miriam C. wrote::roll: :R And not a picture one. :thinking:

Didn't ya notice, Miriam ... I pre-qualified that by saying it was the short version ... ;) ...

If ya want the l-o-n-g version (complete with color glossy photographs), you'll havta wait 'til the book comes out ... :D ...! And, the book won't come out 'til it gets published ... :o ...! But then, the bookhouse won't publish it 'til we finish writing it! ... :roll: ...

It's always somthin' ... ain't it ... :lol: ... :lol: ... :lol: ... :lol: ...?

Would those be 8x10 color glossy photographs with a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what it is. Alices Resturant
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby grant whipp » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:12 pm

BrwBier wrote:... Would those be 8x10 color glossy photographs with a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what it is. Alices Resturant

"... with every item numbered, tagged, and i-dentified ..."?

You must be thinkin' of the coffee table version, there, Herr Brewmeister, eh what ... :lol: ... :lol: ...?

Yaaa ... sheooor ... yeewwwbetcha ...
:D
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Cub or Modernistic

Postby mary and bob » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:28 am

We were told that the Cubs were all sold in kit form. the assembled trailers used aircraft type rivets, which our modernistic has. I know it is a Modernistic because I found the faded remnant of a stencil or decal on the right side ahead of the door that says Modernistic Camper. ours has the rounded window in the door and the styled type fenders. the interior had been redone as was the galley butchered up so who knows what was in it originally. anyone know where I can get a reproduction Modernistic decal? I have a couple original Cub magazine ads. Bob
mary and bob
500 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion