Pet cool

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby SmokeyBob » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:33 pm

Last summer on our first camping trip with the A/C I noticed that damp air that others have talked about. I raised the vent and opened the side windows and the damp air went away. I guess having the vent and the windows open didn't allow the damp air to accumulate. After playing with the thermostat the temperature stayed at 75 degrees. With the outside temp in the 90s we were comfortable on our 4 day campout. Dont know if raising the vent and windows would work for everyone but it worked for us.
Pics for Building the Alegria I
To view video click Here

Bob & Judith
SmokeyBob
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby asianflava » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:57 pm

hemi43 wrote:FYI, I'm busy designing an A/C system for my teardrop, and an area 8ft long 4ft wide and 4ft high ( or about the size of a large teardrop) requires only about 750 BTU to cool it. Some of the units I see PPL using in the 5000 BTU range is much too high ,and will cycle too often and not dehumidify the air. Just my 2 cents. Dan

That may be true, but considering that a teardrop has every wall, roof, AND floor facing the outside, 750 may be on the low side.

Also, $78 vs. $299 (special price) made an it easy choice. I'll take cold clamy humid air over no air conditioning.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby madjack » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:13 pm

hemi43 wrote:FYI, I'm busy designing an A/C system for my teardrop, and an area 8ft long 4ft wide and 4ft high ( or about the size of a large teardrop) requires only about 750 BTU to cool it. Some of the units I see PPL using in the 5000 BTU range is much too high ,and will cycle too often and not dehumidify the air. Just my 2 cents. Dan

...we had one member setup an 800 btu AC unit and he found, it had not even near enough ummmph...practical experience on this board. has shown that the 2500btu PetCools, will keep a tear at a comfortable temp(around 75 onna hot day)...all I say, is be careful where ya spend your money or that cheap price may not be all it's cracked up to be!!!!!
madjack 8)

p.s. leaving a door/window/vent open(which should be done anyway) will help with the short cycle/humidity problems.......MJ

p.s.s. by the way...where are ya getting this little unit from.......MJ
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:17 pm

Aaron Coffee wrote:What is the weight of a petcool compared to that of a window air conditioner?

...I believe, that they both fall in the 40-45 pound range........................... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby mexican tear » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:42 pm

Each body that is in the tear makes about 900btu of heat per hour, thus a 2500 btu A/C only leaves about 700 btu to cool the area.

So that is why I have a hard time with an old 2000 btu PetCool.

kai
"Essie" and the Mexican Tear
mexican tear
Donating Member

Postby hemi43 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:53 am

I agree that a 750 BTU unit is too small, that is the number I came up with using a BTU calculator. It does not factor in people giving off heat. I figure something in the area of 1800 BTU should work. Dan
The one who dies with the most tools, wins!!

www.dantechfabricating.com
www.flickr.com/dantechfab
hemi43
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:31 pm

For those of you waiting for a Petcool... plan on waiting a little longer.

Greetings all,
We have experienced an unfortunate turn of events on the delivery of our climate control units. The container that our units ship in was damaged in the port of Los Angeles. They are telling me that the container of units was a total loss and was dropped from over 20 feet in the air due to a latch failure of the crane that unloads the containers from the ship. The insurance company is evaluating the damage and we are awaiting the report. We have immediately placed an emergency replacement order and will attempt to fill as many orders with any undamaged units as possible. We are offering a 2 year extended warranty as compensation for the delay in receiving your unit. These certificates will be sent with your unit once the new shipment arrives. We thank you in advance for your patience during this unfortunate turn of events and will do everything in our power to expedite your order to you. We have operators available to answer any questions you may have.

Ron Jupiter
President/CEO
Hi-Tech Building Systems, LLC
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Gage » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:41 pm

Yep, I got one of those emails the other day. I questioned the fact that if they were packed correctly (at mfg) and also packed into the container correctly it shouldn't have been a 100% lose. They said that thier insurance is checking into just that.
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby cuyeda » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:14 pm

Damaged shipping... replacement order... waiting for product to arrive... Hmmm.

That means when the replacement shipment comes in, and orders filled, we would all get the units about the same time. Depending on availability. Perhaps this would be a good time to negotiate a group order! A keyword could be used to indicate that we are from this group, and a discount could be applied. This will translate into guaranteed business, more orders than usual, rather than loss of business because orders get cancelled. A little patience waiting for the order when it gets here, hopefully means a better price. Perhaps a new thread, for a show of hands who has one on order now, or would be willing to commit to a purchase. I for one would be interested in a purchase. I always wanted to build a new dog house for my pets! :-).
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby FireLion » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:38 pm

I have one on order, I got the same message the other day. Luckily, I don't need it yet, but it would be nice to get it before I need it so's I can have the ductwork installed. Hmmmmmm..... maybe I could go ahead and have the ductwork already there, waiting......for the Petcool to arrive.....hmmmmm, 2" PVC I believe. :thinking:
'How can ya get away from it all if ya take it all with ya?'
2004 Ford Escape Ltd.
2012 Coleman tent-no wheels, no A/C, no hitch
FireLion
500 Club

Postby Gage » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:08 pm

I was suppose to be receiving mine about now. :thinking: They did offer an additional 2 year extended warranty.

"We are offering a 2 year extended warranty as compensation for the delay in receiving your unit."
I don't really need it. Just figured it would be good to have should I need it. But Cliff has a good idea about the discount. :thinking:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:30 pm

I'll give em a call and see what they say...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby cuyeda » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:40 pm

mikeschn wrote:I'll give em a call and see what they say...

Mike...

It may be long, it may be hard, but never give up! Ask for 20%... ha ha ha. That is the spirit! Good luck! If they won't negotiate, I am not buying one. Er, uh let's see what they say first. :lol:
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bmg5 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:10 pm

I got the same note so I thought I would look at the site today. Looks like the prices has gone up to $379 from $299. Hope we see them before the end of March... Anyone get any more concrete estimates on the replacement units? Thanks bg
bg in West Michigan - LG 6-wide
bmg5
Teardrop Builder

Postby cuyeda » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:30 pm

Looks like they increased the regular price to $479.95 from $379.95. I guess I have a choice not to do business with that company who fluctuates prices like that.
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion