Any tips on doing a headliner?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Any tips on doing a headliner?

Postby fornesto » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:21 pm

Since my tear is 54", I have an ugly seam in my ceiling and I screwed the luan to the undersides of the spars, to they're ugly too. I want to cover the ceiling with a headliner. I was thinkink of using heavier felt spray-glued to the ceiling. Does anyone have any tips for this?
fornesto
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:19 pm

I was impressed with the almost carpet like fabric they used on the Tab ceiling.

If I was trying to hide a nasty ceiling, I would definitely try to use something similar.

I don't know exactly what they used in the tab. Are you able to visit someone, or a dealer that sells tabs?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby fornesto » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:32 pm

Hmmm, I like the idea of a thin (cheap) burber like carpet, 1/8" - 1/4". That would be easy to cut and I could apply with construction adhesive. I'll check for remnants at the local carpet store.
fornesto
Donating Member

Postby LashleyT » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:43 pm

How about using boat carpet, thin and can be glued. Lowes sells it. - Tom
LashleyT
Teardrop Advisor

Postby fornesto » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:06 pm

I'm thinking about doing the whole cabin in carpet...I tried staining the plywood and it looks bad...too orange and I don't want to go dark. I think I'll do the boat carpet thing for sure. That will make it much cozier.
fornesto
Donating Member

Postby steve wolverton » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:46 pm

fornesto - Our teardrop is 52" wide. We used a heavy material purchased at Walmart in their fabric department. It's almost like a burbor(sp?). It was only $1 per yard and came in 60" width. :)

Make sure to get good glue. We first tried cheap spray adhesive, and that was a royal PITA. Get the good stuff, get the 3M spray, we also found that at walmart.

Here's a picture of my ceiling and cupboard. (The cupboard hasn't been trimmed on the sides or bottom yet.)

We still have to trim out all the spars, but that can wait. It's nice and bright, helps soundproof, and doesn't get damp when camping in it.

Steve
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby kartvines » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:09 pm

When I bought my 65 Scad-A-Bout the entire inside was covered with a ugly orange shag carpet. It was unbelievable, and the first thing I did was tear it out. It was dirty and smelled like something dragged in. It seem like it would be hard to clean.
Image..Image..Image..
Image.
kartvines
500 Club

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:38 pm

In my Freebie Challenge tear I carpeted the entire thing with commercial loop carpet using the correct adhesive. Floor and wall worked fine but the cieling started to sag doue to the weight. A bunch of carpet staples fixed that. I really like the finished effect and this stuff should be easy to clean. Keep in mind that carpet can be quite weighty.
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby DestinDave » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:35 pm

If you get the chance check out some of the boat shows which are coming up. Smaller cruisers and cuddy cabins use various light carpets, padded vinyls, and fabrics for bulkheads and overheads. Might get some good ideas there.
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby len19070 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:07 pm

I use a Vinyl, cloth backed material made for Boat cushions. The back is very similar to a tight knit carpet. The glue that I used was Vinyl floor adheasive. Henrys was the brand. trowled it on, very easy to apply. It can be moved around some if your off a little bit. Stuff has lasted for at least 5 years.

Happy Trails

Len

AKA Dr. RV
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Return to General Discussion