Harbor freight trailer replacement parts

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Harbor freight trailer replacement parts

Postby beverlyt » Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:31 am

I have a spare tire.

I would like to order a set of replacement parts should something go wrong on the road with my trailer. I'm not sure what could go wrong, since I don't know much about such things, but I'm talking the wheel bearing area.

It is the "newer" HF trailer, with the screw-down hitch. Made by US General, made in the Ukraine. Model number #40597-OVGA, 1800 lb trailer.

I would check on this myself, but I'm not sure what type of replacement parts I'd be talking about....Duh.

Way back when, someone had some trouble and had ordered the parts and had the parts numbers. I can't find them now. I remember it was under 20 bucks I think..whatever the heck was ordered?

Anybody still have the parts numbers? (Anybody have a clue what I'm talking about??)

Tnx,
Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby Geron » Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:27 am

I have three of the HF trailers. 2 light weight and 1 "heavy" weight (1800 lb - 40597.)

First, go to HF web sight and download the manual for the 40597 which gives you a schematic with part #'s so that if you ever had to make repairs the schematic would be helpful (you said you didn't know much about this kind of thing).

The light weight trailers have 1" bearings and races. These come in sets (bearing/races), are quite common and can be purchased in any auto parts store. The sales person usually doesn't even look up a part no. - Just goes back and picks them up. Always replace both bearing and race.
I carry a couple sets in the tool box always.

HF part # are Bearing #76 and there is no part # for the race- probably comes as a set. The races are pressed into the hub and have to be drifted out with a punch or screwdriver (an old screwdriver). This repair is "do-able" on the side of the road if necessary(but you'll need wheel bearing grease). You can also purchase the complete hub assembly from Northern tools or from Tractor Supply as well as other dealers and most auto parts stores. This makes it much easier in an emergency situation.

Re-pack your bearings ever year and you should not have any trouble. An inspection when packing will let you know when the bearings need replacing. (They're inexpensive enought till I just replace them when repacking)

NOW here's what I don't know - Someone help be out. -- the Heavy weight trailer may have a 1 1/4 inch bearing and race (my A-liner does). I've not had this one apart so I don't know. NOPE, just checked. Mine's got 1" bearings.

I hope this is what you were asking for.

HTH's

Geron :oops:
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Arne » Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:12 am

I have the 1800# h/f trailer. when I assembled it, one of the hubs did not rotate as freely as I wished. Hard to explain, but it just didn't feel as smooth as I thought it should.

I disassembled the bearings from the hubs and got the number and bought a set of timken bearings. I was leaving on a long trip and didn't want to take the chance of being stuck on some highway.... yes, they are a common bearing, but I didn't want to wind up in an 'uncommon' place with bearing trouble.

If I remember correctly the inner and outer bearings are them same.

The Timken part number is TIM30205M and the cost was $10 per set (I bought 2).

Interestingly, the bearings had the part number and "Russia" imprinted on them..... Bearing sizes are international. The trailer is built in Ukraine, as I remember...

Oh, I never needed to replace the bearings on my 5k mile trip, but knew I could if I had a problem...

Aside from the bearings, I carry spare-tire-in-a-can and a 12v air compressor with me... the 12v compressor has come in handy a couple of times.... most recently to reinflate my van tire to get to a garage so I didn't have to change a tire on the road. The spare-in-a-can would only be used as a last ditch thing.... it goops up the inside of the tire and makes it harder to patch (or so I've been told).
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Joseph » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:27 am

Hey Arne,
arnereil wrote:Aside from the bearings, I carry spare-tire-in-a-can and a 12v air compressor with me... the 12v compressor has come in handy a couple of times.... most recently to reinflate my van tire to get to a garage so I didn't have to change a tire on the road. The spare-in-a-can would only be used as a last ditch thing.... it goops up the inside of the tire and makes it harder to patch (or so I've been told).

I wouldn't know - I used to carry TWO cans of it but when I needed it (flat on the DC beltway in winter) it simply wouldn't inflate. I believe the cold has a serious impact on this stuff. :thumbdown:

Anyway, now I carry a 12v compressor and a tire repair kit in each vehicle, both available from K-Mart or Wally World. I've used the repair kit and I know it works in any weather. Oh, and I also went out and bought a full-size spare for the car (the truck came with one) and ditched the dounut. :thumbsup:

Anyway, thanks to you and Geron for the tips on bearing replacement. It's the only thing that I've been concerned about with my HF trailer.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Return to General Discussion