What to look for when buying a new TD

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

What to look for when buying a new TD

Postby Rob » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:17 pm

Newbie teardrop dreamer here. I have been lurking on this discussion group for quite a few months, and the Whipp’s before that. My wife and I have been tent campers for many years. I am getting tired of sleeping on the ground (too old to sleep on rocks and sticks) and have been looking at small motorhomes and trailers for a few years. About a year ago we were at an Eddie Bauer store and saw a Hunter HU-1. We looked at each other and knew a teardrop was exactly what we wanted. It only needs to sleep two adults and a golden retriever – that may require we have a 5-foot wide unit. My time, space and especially skills do not allow me to build one, so purchasing is the only option. We are planning to attend this year’s Dam Gathering and Bob’s I.A.D.Y. to look at more units and ask more questions. One minor problem: I don’t know what questions to ask.
:?
A few basic general questions I am thinking about are:
What are the good things about your unit?
What are the bad things about your unit?
If you were to purchase a unit (another unit) what would you do different?

What other questions should I be asking? By the way, any suggestions y’all have for us will be greatly appreciated. Suggestions can either be posted here on the discussion board or directly to [email protected].
Rob
:wine:

:peace:
Rob
500 Club

Postby San Diegan » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:43 pm

Rob,

What are the good things about your unit?
What are the bad things about your unit?
If you were to purchase a unit (another unit) what would you do different?

I would have a look over in the Vendor thread,

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=280

There is some discussion about improvements to an HU-3, the Camp-Inn models, and so forth. An HU-3 owner provides a critique and improvements would apply to the HU-1. There is another fellow who has had both an HU-1 and a Camp_Inn and he presents his considerations in trading from one to another.

Good luck,

Tom
San Diegan
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:53 pm

Hi Rob,

Welcome to T&TTT.

So you have to buy one, eh? Well if you've been lurking for months, then you already know the major players.

So the real question to ask yourself is... Do you want a woodie, a filon, or do you want an aluminum? If you want a woodie, there's no question, Steve Frederick builds an awsome woodie!

If you want a 5' wide aluminum, then CampInn is the way to go.

And if you want filon, get a Little Guy Double Wide.

If you have Steve Frederick build you one, it'll be exactly what you want. And I'm sure he can cover it in almost anything. He almost did the roof in Stainless Steel on the Lil Diner.

Anyways, it's just something to think about!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby SteveH » Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:05 pm

Rob,

I understand where you are. I looked at most of the commercially available units out there and dicided all were 1. too expensive, and 2. did not have the features I wanted. Fortunately I have some capabilities (although disputable) so I'm building my own.

I would suggest you sit down and make a list of all the things you want, like apperance, lay out of galley, amenities, and then go shopping.

You will probably end up getting one custom built and there is none better than Steve Frederick.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Rob » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:01 am

I have seen some GORGEOUS woodies here, but am concerned about the rain and sun exposure - it won't be garaged. The summer temps here routinely go above 100. I like the retro look of the aluminum so will be going that direction. I have enjoyed the discussion of Camp-Inn, Hunter... I was hoping to see more response in the Poll regarding the various units. What is the opinion of the Camp-Inn galley? It seems like the front bins may be difficult to access having to reach DOWN into. Cary? Does the bumper make it inconvenient to reach out to the stove? That's one of the reasons I am looking forward to seeing one up close and personal.

Thx, Rob
Rob

Rob
500 Club

Postby dmb90260 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:34 pm

Rob:

I see you are in Woodland. It just so happens that I will be in Woodland the last weekend of February. I plan on bringing my tear to an Earthdog Test held in Nelson Grove off Coil Lane. I expect to arrive on Friday afternoon and be there through Sunday noon. You are more than welcome to come by and check it out.
I do have a few pictures posted at http://duffyscavern.org

You can find more pictures at http://www.freedomteardrop.com/prod01.htm

You will have no problem finding me, it should be the only tear there. :yes:
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Cary Winch » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:20 pm

Rob,

The bumper is below knee height and doesn't seem to affect use of the kitchen at all. I have see no complaints of this sort.

If you are interested in seeing a Camp-Inn let me know by email. I looked at a map and there are units near you that you can see. I can email you the customer info.

Cary
Cary Winch
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby beverlyt » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:29 pm

Rob,
One basic question that I would ask is if it's insulated, all round.

I wouldn't buy one without it.

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby Rob » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:36 am

Cary--
I am planning to contact the Masudas to look at Musubi. Right now we are leaning toward a 550 Classic. It's just that we want to be sure when spending that sort of money. I also want to be sure what options we want and don't want.
Thx
Rob

Rob
500 Club

Postby sftiggee » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:55 pm

San Diegan wrote: There is another fellow who has had both an HU-1 and a Camp_Inn and he presents his considerations in trading from one to another.

Good luck,

Tom

That fellow is me, and the last time I looked, I'm not a fellow!! :thinking:

:lol:
Jolene, Luke, Jackson, Lilianne, and Bandit
2006 Camp-Inn Raindrop Ultra
2007 Dodge Magnum RT
sftiggee
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Rob » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:41 pm

Jolene--
I've noticed your avatar and location. I was hoping to talk to you at either the Dam Gathering or Bob's IADY. Will you be at either?
Rob
Rob

Rob
500 Club

Postby San Diegan » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:43 pm

Oh dear, Jolene, I am so :oops: (embarrassed) and do apologize.

Your comments were valuable and definitely worthy of consideration by those (including myself) considering the Hunter and Camp-Inn products.

Sorry again for the slip.

Tom
San Diegan
Teardrop Master

Postby Cary Winch » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:03 pm

Rob,

Looks like you are way ahead of me. My first suggestion would be the Masudas because they are the closest to you by a little bit. They have the 550 Classic too.

Cary
Cary Winch
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby yhgail » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:44 pm

I recently purchased a Camp-Inn. My first trips were marked by my amazement at how well the trailer is planned, there are many well thought-out details.

So far there are two things that I would have done differently. One is that I can only attach the table on the left side of the trailer. It would be nice if I could attach it on either side. The other is that it would be nice if there was a 12 v recepticle on both sides of the cabin. It's a little thing, but it would be nice.

There's no problem with the bumper. I'm just glad I got one. Also, the leveling jacks are wonderful. They make setting up so easy.
Good luck deciding.
Gail
Rochester
yhgail
Teardrop Advisor

Postby San Diegan » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:21 pm

Gail,

SailorSams sells removable table brackets. See http://www.sailorsams.com/mall/table-mounts-removable.asp.

They also have pull out hinges that would be a nice way to attach a side mounted table or other aparatus:

http://www.sailorsams.com/mall/hinge_pull-out.asp

Tom
San Diegan
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to General Discussion