Cubby Builders

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby TonyCooper » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:39 pm

kuffelcreek wrote:
snip...
Sorry I haven't written before, but I don't get out much. I'm knee-deep in house building still- an 800 sq. ft. granny flat out back that Marty's mom will live into match our 1925 bungalow. I'm building it by myself evenings and weekends (o.k., I do get help from my long-suffering wife who seems to end up with all the rotten jobs). This is our third straight year of construction and we're tired of it. I'm getting ready to drywall next week, so it'll be another 4-6 months before I'm a free man again and can get back to camping and trailer-building.

Hey Kevin,
When you finish up I've got a detached hobby shop / garage that needs building! It's a long commute to North Carolina but it looks like you should finish up in time for our wonderful fall weather.
Tony

My Tear Build Site

"No comment"
TonyCooper
Official Pot Stirrer

Postby steve wolverton » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:56 pm

TomS wrote:I also assume that I'll have to wear respritory protection when sanding the fiberglass to keep from inhaling harmful fibers. I can deal with that.

It probably wouldn't hurt, but I don't. You won't sand the fiberglass, just the epoxy. Well, you shouldn't sand the fiberglass, just the epoxy - you can tell because it will begin to look silvery. You'll have to sand quite a bit before you hit the glass too, epoxy doesn't sound real easy. Basically, it's plastic - a very hard plastic.

Angib makes some good points about sanding, and if you work neat you'll save yourself a lot of work. Use plenty of easy sandable fillers (glass bubbles, phenolic microballoons, etc.) in your epoxy and it will sand nicely. Don't let it scare you - it's not hard to do at all. I think fiberglass work is much easier than the wood work on the teardrops. I really think anyone that can construct a teardrop can do fiberglass work - we just like to make people think we're magic. :)

What I'm after is a durable weatherprooof finish for my tear that will accept paint.

That's what you'll get too. Yell when you get closer to doing it, and I'll be happy to give you some help. I'm not a pro, but I could give ya a few pointers.

If glassing the the doors proves too problematic, I can always switch to plan B and use aluminum for that canned ham look.

:lol:

Steve
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby BobR » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:23 am

Kevin just posted a link about 5 foot wide bolt together trailers...so those of you thinking wider is better might want to take a look here. It shouldn't be to difficult to modify a Cubby to fit on a 5' wide chassis.

http://www.redtrailers.com/Trailers.asp
Bob Richert
Parrish, FL
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars"
BobR
Donating Member

Postby angib » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:28 am

steve wrote:It probably wouldn't hurt, but I don't. You won't sand the fiberglass, just the epoxy.
<snip>
Don't let it scare you - it's not hard to do at all. I think fiberglass work is much easier than the wood work on the teardrops. I really think anyone that can construct a teardrop can do fiberglass work - we just like to make people think we're magic.

Here is the next installment of SAMAS (the Steve'n'Andrew Mutual Appreciation Society)....

Sanding fiberglass does seem to scare some people, but it shouldn't - all fiberglass dusts are inert and only rank as a 'nuisance' in industrial safety legislation here. In contrast many hardwoods (including in plywoods) are bad, bad news - the dust from them is carcinogenic and respiratory protection must be worn. In this case the common assumption that 'man-made' is dangerous and 'natural' is safe is the exact opposite of the truth.

Contact with 'wet' epoxy resin is not good - it can trigger a skin reaction and can lead to epoxy sensitivity, though this is only likely if you use it daily. However gloves should be worn at all times - medical-type vinyl or latex gloves are ideal.

Don't let any of this put you off - these risks are minimal compared to the likely hearing damage from using regular domestic power tools and don't get me started on the risks of using a table saw......

Getting a smooth surface by sanding is a tricky one, and maybe I did overplay the difficulties. However it is my experience that there is a huge range in what different people think is sanding - for some it's harder than scrubbing the deck on a medieval warship (though, generally, without the whipping...) and for others it's less work than dusting furniture.

Here's my twopennyworth:

- Always do whatever you can at any stage to make like easier later - don't slap on epoxy and cloth and then walk away - look for any defects before the epoxy cures and smooth out any runs or drips.

- Apply filler carefully. Get a wide spreader (just a piece of plastic) and work the filler to get it as smooth as possible before it sets - again don't walk away from the job before you're done.

- Use a filler of appropriate hardness. If you chuck some silica into epoxy resin, you'll get a filler that's not as easy to sand as cast iron..... Follow Steve's recommendations on fillers!

- Pick the right time to sand. If you sand too soon (before the resin has cured enough), you'll find your sandpaper clogs really quickly - if so, stop sanding and try again tomorrow. This is a more likely problem in a cool climate.

- Get good sandpaper - aluminium (sorry, aluminum) oxide is the minimum.

- Choose your sanding 'block' to suit what you're trying to do - if you want to make something flat, you need a hard 'block' so that you only sand the high spots. If you're trying to get a gloss finish, then you need a soft 'block' to make contact over all the surface of the block. And, yes, needing to use a variety of backing blocks does mean that trying to combine the terms 'power sander' and 'good finish' in one sentence is a non-starter....

Or

- Decide that you are flexible in your attitude to surface finish, so that what you've done so far is just right. Moving the target is often much easier than any other method......

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby TomS » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:25 pm

Steve and Andrew,

Thanks for the the great advice on working with fiberglass.
:thumbsup:

I will definately be in touch as I approach that stage of my project. Right now, it just seems a long, long way off.

I'm planning on using that Redtrailers.com 5x8 trailer for my project. I won't be buying it until spring. I will post pleny of photos when I assemble it.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

My Cubby

Postby jlrelp » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:18 pm

All I can say is read the plains

I did but still had problems

Have the complete constrution on my web site up to the doors and hatch

at www.richarjl.itgo.com
John
jlrelp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby toypusher » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:01 pm

John,

Your build looking good. Are you leaving the sides wood? If so, how are you protecting them?

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby dguff » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:47 pm

Having built a Cubby and restored an early Kit there are a few things I would do differently on a Cubby. First I would not insulate the walls. It takes up just enough interior space to be noticeable and I don't think it is necessary. My wife and I slept in the Cubby several nights in below freezing weather and were often too warm. I insulated the roof and the floor of the Kit but not the walls and it seems just right. The interior and the galley can be simplified. Shelves rather than cabinets work very well.
Be sure to leave enough room on the inside so you don't bang your knees on the shelves. A couple of plastic water jugs works as well as a water tank, maybe better, and you can put a cooler in the car rather than build an icebox in the teardrop. That leaves "all" of the galley space for food and utinsel storage. We use a mix of old wicker baskets to pack the galley with food, cooking supplies, coleman stove, pots etc. and it looks great.
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

sidesc protecting

Postby jlrelp » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:14 am

I used one coat of epoxy and five coats for sar varinish this is the way i do the boats i have built. so far no problems
John
jlrelp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby SteveH » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:15 pm

John,

Do you put the varnish over the epoxy, or vice versa?

Thanks,
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Varnish

Postby jlrelp » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:42 pm

First apply the expoy and then apply the varnish

Hope this helps.. John
John
jlrelp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby SteveH » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:45 pm

Thanks John
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion