GrassHopper Info ?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

GrassHopper Info ?

Postby kenaum » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:57 am

Just came across Mike's GrassHopper photo's......Please tell me more!

Are there plans available ? or is it a production unit........

By the way....we are re-thinking our idea of putting a 5 x 9 unit on a 4 x 8 HF trailer......am currently doing some drawings for our local custom trailer company.....will see what the estimate comes in at.
Ken Aumiller
St. Louis MO
kenaum
Teardrop Inspector

Re: GrassHopper Info ?

Postby mikeschn » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:42 am

kenaum wrote:Just came across Mike's GrassHopper photo's......Please tell me more!

Are there plans available ? or is it a production unit........

By the way....we are re-thinking our idea of putting a 5 x 9 unit on a 4 x 8 HF trailer......am currently doing some drawings for our local custom trailer company.....will see what the estimate comes in at.

The Grasshopper is a unit that was manufactured in the '70's.

The only thing that even comes close to a plan is a few different sized sketches I made, and placed in my photo album.

Buford build one based on those sketches, and he loves it. If you have any questions, I'll bet Buford could help you.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby BufordT » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:17 am

There are a lot of things I'd change on the grass-hopper(mini-hopper).

One is I won't build it out of plywood next time. I'd use 1x4's for frame and then use panels on the outside and inside. Would make it not as heavy.

I'd also not build it on a 4x8 trailer. I'd build it on a 5x8. Not for the extra width but for the looks.

I'd also make the hatch in the back lift up all the way and do away with the doors.

What I have done is print out the original grasshopper pic's and make a templet out of it. When I'm ready in a few year's I'll build one.

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby kenaum » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:25 pm

"The Grasshopper is a unit that was manufactured in the '70's.

The only thing that even comes close to a plan is a few different sized sketches I made, and placed in my photo album.

Buford build one based on those sketches, and he loves it. If you have any questions, I'll bet Buford could help."

Anybody want to take a guess on the chassis & cabin dimensions ?

Chassis - 5 x 9........Cabin 5 x 10 maybe ?
Ken Aumiller
St. Louis MO
kenaum
Teardrop Inspector

Postby BufordT » Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:47 am

kenaum wrote:"The Grasshopper is a unit that was manufactured in the '70's.

Buford build one based on those sketches, and he loves it. If you have any questions, I'll bet Buford could help."

Anybody want to take a guess on the chassis & cabin dimensions ?

Chassis - 5 x 9........Cabin 5 x 10 maybe ?

Chassis appears to be 5ft wide and 7 ft 10 1/2" long. I'm not sure what it's made of. I'd use angle iron but thats me.

Axle appears to be 3ft from back.

Over all is't 9ft long

Bottom that fits on Chassis is 8ft long. and the width when complete is
5ft 2and 1/2 inchs wide.

Download a pic of the grasshopper. Use windows to print it out. I printed it out on several sheets and it was 5x5 when done. Then I cut the pic's to shape and use the 8ft measurement to lay out the pic's till I had it right then pasted it all on a sheet of butcher paper. I now how the original profile of the grasshopper.

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Return to General Discussion