Screen Doors

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Screen Doors

Postby fornesto » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:18 pm

I'm fixated on screen doors since someone mentioned them here. I want to be able to have screens on my doors, but not a separate screen door (impossible due to mattress covering door, inside swing, etc.) I'm thinking of doing a simple velcro setup with hardware store screen cut and glued (hemmed) and velcro attached. The corresponding velcro goes on the inside door jamb. That would allow for sleeping at night with no bugs and a cool breeze.

What has anyone else done for a screen door?
fornesto
Donating Member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:08 pm

We did something simular to that with the beatup camper shell we have on our truck. We used white cloth netting that we got at Walmart and used vecro on it and the shell. Worked great. That was the preteardrop days but have thought about doing it on the tears doors also next summer.
Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby DANL » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:14 pm

I did the same thing on the door of my old camper shell. It worked quite well. A nice simple cheap solution.

If I were to do this again, I would probably sew screen into a piece of canvas with zippers on the edge attached to pieces of canvas that would be permanently attached to the interior of the door frame. This would be a sort of tent door that could be easily zipped open or closed and rolled up against the top of the door frame when not needed.

Hmmm... I might just try this on my tiny trailer.

Wait a minute--just got another idea. How about a two piece frame. Each piece would be one half the height of the door. The top half would be hinged to swing up and in and the other half would be hinged to the top half. The whole thing would fold up against the ceiling or pull down to screen the door. Magnetic tape could help keep it sealed to the door frame.
The tiny trailer in the avatar is designed to carry our recumbents and sometimes sleep in. We LOVE having a kitchen in the woods and a place for most of our gear.
Dan Jones http://sunsetlanding.com/teardrop/teardrop_intro.html
DANL
Donating Member

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:42 pm

I can do a lot of things but figuring out how to get a picture on this forum is beyond me so I will try to describe how I built detachable screen doors. Simple aluminum frame same as window screens. Pop rivet two small hinges to side of screen. Cut a slot to fit hinge halves into the doorframe and drill a hole for a removeable retaining pins through door frame and passing through hinge half inserted in slot. I know some people took pictures of this at Pisgah and Myrtle Beach gatherings so maybe someone else can post photo. I store them under my mattress when not needed. Rivet a couple of little pull tabs of some sort for openeing and closing.
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby kurtibm » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:48 pm

It is not the years in your life that matter, it's the life in your years.
kurtibm
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion