newbie question on insulation

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

newbie question on insulation

Postby mike c » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:01 pm

Hi all, any thoughts on fiberglass insulation in walls and ceiling?
I thought of taking 3 1/2" and peeling it apart for 1 1/2" walls and ceiling.

Thanks for any and all opinions

mike c
mike c
Teardrop Inspector

Re: newbie question on insulation

Postby Mary K » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:22 pm

mike c wrote:Hi all, any thoughts on fiberglass insulation in walls and ceiling?
I thought of taking 3 1/2" and peeling it apart for 1 1/2" walls and ceiling.

Thanks for any and all opinions

mike c

I am sure there have been lots of thought on this, but why deal with the itchy stuff when you can use the R-Tech board insulation? http://tinyurl.com/3yjz3d

It is real easy to work with. :thumbsup:
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:36 pm

I used rigid foam because it was rigid. I am not sure you would get much benefit from a thin fiberglass sheet. You might check on water heater blankets to see the rating of the thin.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby mikeschn » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:46 pm

Mary,

I notice you didn't go the full thickness on the r-tech. It makes it real nice for securing the insulation, but do you have any regrets not going to the full thickness?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mike c » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:33 pm

Aunti m i was thinking this because that i have quite a pile of fiberglass :twisted: i'm not sure what the R-value is when you peel it in half? I was more concernd with it getting wet from condensation and such :thinking:

mike c
mike c
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Juneaudave » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:20 pm

Well..you will lose some R value...but I'm not so sure that is necessarily an issue in one of these trailers. It may be more of an issue in soundproofing, constructability, or something else. My guess is...if you keep the moisture out...no problems with a fiberglass bat.

R-Value Table - Material R/ Value Per Inch Thickness

Fiberglass Batt 3.14-4.30
Fiberglass Blown (attic) 2.20-4.30
Fiberglass Blown (wall) 3.70-4.30
Rock Wool Batt 3.14-4.00
Rock Wool Blown (attic) 3.10-4.00
Rock Wool Blown (wall) 3.10-4.00
Cellulose Blown (attic) 3.13
Cellulose Blown (wall) 3.70
Vermiculite 2.13
Autoclaved Aerated Concrete 1.05
Urea Terpolymer Foam 4.48
Rigid Fiberglass (> 4lb/ft3) 4.00
Expanded Polystyrene (beadboard) 4.00
Extruded Polystyrene 5.00
Polyurethane (foamed-in-place) 6.25
Polyisocyanurate (foil-faced) 7.20
:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby mikeschn » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:06 am

Now there's an interesting point...

Does pink fiberglass, which gets moldy when damp, get damp and moldy when inside the walls and roof of a teardrop???

Which fiberglass insulation would be less susceptible to mold?

Mike...

Juneaudave wrote:if you keep the moisture out...no problems with a fiberglass bat.

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby starleen2 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:17 am

If you are using Styrofoam insulation, then vapors should not be able to pass through. It is the water vapor that passes through the fiberglass medium and condense on the other side that gives so many problems. Since Styrofoam is not easily penetrated by water vapor, then you should have no problem. I would use aluminum tape to seal around the joints and seams to keep the air transfer between sides to a minimum. Tried the pink stuff first – a sure headache for us. By the time I got the first panel insulated, the stuff was so compressed, that it bowed the paneling – Stopped there and ripped out the wall and went with the closed cell stuff.
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Mary K » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:25 am

mikeschn wrote:Mary,

I notice you didn't go the full thickness on the r-tech. It makes it real nice for securing the insulation, but do you have any regrets not going to the full thickness?

Mike...

:oops: I didn't know any better Mike. I thought that was the way to do it. They only had one thickness at lowes to get and I surly did not want to fight putting another layer on top of that one.

The TD stays cool if it is in the shade and does stay somewhat warm on a cool night. Also, it is pretty soundproof. So I am happy, but maybe ignorance is bliss huh? :lol:

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Re: newbie question on insulation

Postby Andrew Herrick » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:39 am

RV insulation happens to be a pet subject of mine (nerd alert, I know!)

So here's the thing to keep in mind: R-value is NOT a CONSTANT! It fluctuates depending on the temperature, installation, age of material, etc. And just because your insulation material has an R-value of, say, 3.0, doesn't mean your whole wall will! With fiberglass batts, for instance, it's not the glass itself that has an R-value: it's the glass + all the air its supposed to contain.

Rigid foam (XPS, EPS, Polyiso) has MANY advantages over fiberglass batts. They repeal water, add structural rigidity, maintain their shape, avoid mildew, and have superior R-value/inch. Honestly, in this day and age, only the cheapest RV manufacturers still use fiberglass - and I've seen lots of pictures of RV owners opening up their walls to discover that the "fluffy" fiberglass had flattened out and sunk to the bottom because of the road vibrations. Not to mention that once fiberglass gets wet, it starts to mold and loses much of its R-value.

Will fiberglass get wet inside a teardrop??? Depends. If you have a moisture barrier on the exterior, I doubt it. But if you designed your wall to dry towards the inside (aka, if you have an aluminum skin), then I suspect it might get damp eventually ... :thinking: ... probably not a deal-breaker, but there are other reasons, I think, to avoid it ...

That's the long way of saying that, appealing as it sounds to stuff fiberglass willy-nilly into every crevice and not have to worry about cutting rigid foam to size, it's probably not a good solution. You'll be much better off using rigid foam or expanding spray foam. Just my $0.02!
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Return to General Discussion