Insurance for teardrops

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby nikwax » Thu May 01, 2008 3:57 pm

I just called Allstate today and spoke with a local agent, who contacted the home office. Their story is that they sell trailer insurance as part of an auto policy, but that they do not insure custom trailers or vehicles of any kind for the "value-added" part. So they would do what my current insurance is doing, insure the chassis that I bought but not the part that I've added to the chassis.

:(

I'll check with Farmers and State Farm.
nikwax
Silver Donating Member

AARP

Postby Pdbeta » Fri May 02, 2008 8:01 am

The AARP coverage we got was for a "Little guy" and it is a stand alone policy covering the trailer for comprehensive and theft.
The "AARP" insurance company is the "Foremost Insurance Company". We went to their "special insurance" division for our coverage on the TD.

It costs nothing to call them and ask about covering homebuilts.

Lately in our personal experience we find we're paying more to get less coverage on our primary residence? Exclusions abound but pricing is increasing? It was somewhat refreshing to deal with the "Foremost" people. They also insure MC and MC trailers should you be needing that kinda coverage?
P
Pdbeta
Teardrop Master

Postby 2bits » Fri May 02, 2008 5:36 pm

Is there any law that says they have to be insured? If mine costs me 2k to build, it would be terrible if something happened, but it is a hit I am prepared to take as a self sufficient guy. I would rather not pay for insurance for something that I can afford to replace if in the slight chance something does happen. Just trying to rethink it from a different perspective. I dunno, I live in TX, I will ask my insurance co and see what they say.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Art & Pat Burns » Fri May 02, 2008 7:52 pm

Hi

On my old tent camper I carried liability Insurance. If the trailer should break loose from the tow vehicle it is on it's own. It is my understanding it would not be covered by the tow vehicle insurance.

Art
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and will preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Dunkin Donuts Coffee in one hand, Duffy roll in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
Art & Pat Burns
Teardrop Builder

Postby 2bits » Sun May 04, 2008 9:15 am

Yeah Liability makes sense in case the tear does the damage.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Re:

Postby Neeraj » Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:07 am

doug hodder wrote:Roddy, did they see your build and is it titled/registered as a home built? Here in Ca. we have a category (special construction), so the words "home built" never appear. State Farm has had no issues with them, but maybe some other Allstate members can respond with similar circumstances. I did find that State Farm at least here in Ca., won't insure a wooden boat though.
GBWhatsApp APK
John, your insurance will cover any damages that YOU cause with your trailer through your auto insurance, but I'd be surprised if it covers any damages caused TO your trailer while towing or theft. I think that is going to take a separate policy. I just figured Roddy was looking at an additional policy to cover those things. Doug

AllState also covers special constructions for personal use, but i'm not sure for commercial use.
Neeraj
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to General Discussion