Has anyone built one of these?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Has anyone built one of these?

Postby Doug » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:36 am

We also looked at one of these . . . Would like to know if anyone has attempted something like this

Can be found at www.aliner.com

Any thoughts?
Doug
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:43 pm

Doug,

If you can buy the springs from aliner, the rest should be fairly straight forward. I'd go and look at one in person though...

We checked them out a couple years ago, and found the bed was only 6' long. The bed in a tear is much more comfortable...

If you are thinking about something with the complexity of a chalet, then why not just build a tear that's large enough to stand in, and gain the increased comfort of the larger bed?

Andrew has the widget and the tidget designs available on his website... ;)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Doug » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:56 pm

Thanks, Mike. These are the trailers that began my wife's interest in owning ANY kind of camper. She has been against popups, pull alongs or anything of that nature. We saw these Aliners and thought, okay, that's just a good dry tent for the most part and doesn't have any of the problems of a popup (as far as dampness / weather go) and it's lightweight.

Okay, then we're excited. Then we checked on the price. :shock:

End of dream, lol.

Well long story short, we recently came across the whole teardrop thing and they seem like a realistic dream! Then, it occurred to me last night that maybe we could build an Aliner of sorts so I posted the question.

With that said, you mentioned buying the springs from them. Do you mean the leaf springs? Forgive me if I'm a little dense, there's no fixing that at this point in my life, lol. I figured I could start with a utility trailer still somehow and extend the sides out and lengthen it.

As far as a 6' bed, we're building the Cubby and I expect that bed won't be any longer than 6' since it is only 8' long. Haven't seen the plans yet, though.

Standing up isn't critical for me / us. Heck, I camp a lot in the one person tents that you throw in the air and they set themselves up. I've been putting clothes on laying down for years !

Anyway, it was just a thought and was curious if anyone else had attempted an Aliner. I do like them, probably will start with a teardrop and maybe try the Aliner sometime.

There is a distributor in our area and I may run up there and take a peak at the different mechanisms that allow for the foldup, etc.

Thanks again!
Doug
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:07 pm

hey Doug,

I was definitely talking about the coil springs that raise the roof on the aliner/chalet.

That's an interesting project, but definitely more complex than a simple teardrop.

The Cubby, now that a good place to start. You'll learn a lot building that... Then you'll probably come back here as an advisor and tell us what you learned... (I hope you do that!) Why? Cause the more you learn, the less you know... :cry:

Anyways, I've been busy updating the Hall of Fame, but you haven't sent me a submission for your entry yet... I'll wait patiently!!! :lol:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Doug » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:22 pm

I didn't realize that springs raised it. I just assumed that they were raised manually.

Sounds just like Jeeping!! The more you learn the less you know, that's perfect!!

I'll always hang around here and share what little I know, receiver beware.

As far as the Hall of Fame, I don't think so. I was looking all over the forums for the Hall of Shame application. :lol:
Doug
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mwatters » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:32 pm

Our big "family" trailer is a French-built "Esterel". It's a hard-sided pop-up somewhat similar to the Aliner/Chalet except it's a box instead of an A-frame.

Anyway - the esterel has assists for lifting the top and sides, but the appear to be fairly easy-to-come-by pneumatic-assist cylinders like you find on car trunks (only beefier). I'm sure the same could be done easily for an A-frame trailer.

mkw
Mike
Watters
mwatters
Teardrop Master

Postby beverlyt » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:39 pm

Doug,
I LOVE the Aliners and REALLY wanted a Alite400. I would have took it over my Cubby any day, but alas...the cost put a kabosh to any lasting thoughts on subject.

The idea of it folding down to near nothingness while towing, and having a little extra head room while "pop-upped"... and the idea of being able to cook inside..(I think you can...Alite has a indoor/outdoor galley).... still is more appealing then our teardrop.

But.. like the song goes: You can't always get what you want.
(well, ..........maybe unless you're Mick Jagger)

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Re: Has anyone built one of these?

Postby Geron » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:48 pm

Doug wrote:We also looked at one of these . . . Would like to know if anyone has attempted something like this

Any thoughts?

I own an Aliner -- and love it -- it's a niche market item kinda like the TD. As far as the springs/hinges/bungee cords are concerned it's kinda complicated. I wouldn't try building it myself. With the springs/hinges/bungee cords it does go up quite easily and very quickly. Sets up in about 15-20 seconds. Tow it with a 2.4 L 1995 (165,000 miles on it) Nissan XE. Went to Maine and back from GA in 2003. Tows like a dream. Yep, I'd go with a Chubby first. Below is a link to my pics

JMHO.

Geron -- Now into TDs

PICS http://www.hunt101.com/showgallery.php? ... 17&cat=500
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jbuchfink » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:31 pm

Hi Doug,

There is a guy in Colorado who built an A-liner like camper last summer. It turned out great, so it can be done. I'll see if he has a web-site or maybe is a member of this forum and post an update.

-Jim B.
jbuchfink
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Doug » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:56 pm

Ahhh, the lure of the Aliner, lol.

It is a really cool design. Another thing we liked about it was that the bed is inside instead of hanging out in the cold like a popup.

We will most likely be putting together a cubby to start with but, Jim, I would love to see information about what the guy built in Colorado. Any information on that would be super.

Before we start the cubby, I am going to the Aliner dealer and take a peak at the one they have to see just how complicated it might be.
Doug
Teardrop Advisor

I built one last spring/summer

Postby Spauld » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:06 am

Actually I did build one of these last spring. I was quite taken by the design when I inspected one at an RV show. I bought an old pop-up camper box at a used RV parts place in Denver. Then I ripped it down to just the frame and replaced the axel, wheels, springs etc. After a wire brushing, primer and paint, the new frame was ready for construction. I was amazed at how easy it was to build (the whole roof spring dynamics thing was a real head scratcher though!). My moto was "where they use screws we use bolts". So, it's pretty heavy duty with the framing made of Western Cedar. I've got pics if anyone is interested. I'm real proud of it and it makes quite the conversation piece at barbques! LOL.

-Spauld
Spauld
Teardrop Inspector

Postby andysbunny » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:12 am

Would love to see pics!

Dawn
andysbunny
Teardrop Builder

Postby Doug » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:02 pm

Spauld . . .

PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS
:lol:
. . . . . or just a link to pics would be good, too!
Doug
Teardrop Advisor

Re: I built one last spring/summer

Postby Geron » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:04 pm

Spauld wrote:Actually I did build one of these last spring.
-Spauld

Kudos!! :applause:
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Help sending JPEGS

Postby Spauld » Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:59 pm

Sad isn't it that I can build an entire camper
but can't figure out how to attach JPEGs to my
replies! LOL. Can someone explain the process?
Thanks!

-Spauld
Spauld
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to General Discussion