My Project

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

My Project

Postby An Ol Timer » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:33 pm

Here is a couple of pics of the design that I'm building. I froze the profile a couple of months back before I joined the forum and I'm wondering what it would be considered. It appears to me to be very close to a cubby design. I'm building on the #1175 HF trailer and it is 4' high and 4' wide by 8' long. Sleep area is 6'3". I'm 5' 11". The only thing that I haven't touched on yet in the design is the fenders. Any ideas?

I don't have any pics of the project yet as I gave my digital camera to a granddaughter for school and I have to buy myself another soon. Bear with me.

An Ol Timer
Teardrop Master

Postby BrianB » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:11 pm

A benroy is what I believe that style would be called.
BrianB
Teardrop Master

Postby McTeardrops » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:17 pm

The 15" radius on the front end seems a little tight, Benroy used 20". I've pre-bent my 3/16" hardboard and 1/8" birch ply to 20" for mine, and don't believe they would go much tighter. Your hinge location seems a bit low. I used the same rear radius, but measured five feet up around the curve to locate mine. This allows a one-piece hatch cover from a 5' x 5' single sheet of 1/4" birch ply. I imagine you'll get a couple dozen responses urging you to go a full five feet wide, mine is 4' 6' to accomidate my "metric full-size mattress"
Lenny

[email protected]
I've reached the stage, in life, where my foam has more memory than I do!
McTeardrops
The 300 Club

Postby Norm » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:27 pm

Your design looks very close the the tear I built. Front radius on mine is 24" and rear radius is 5'.

Norm
Norm
Teardrop Master

Right some wrongs

Postby An Ol Timer » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:09 pm

You are right about the hinge placement. It is shown low in the quartering view and is really about half way up between there and the flat of the roof. Only thing in that photo to scale is the profile. Also the 15" radius bend on the top front will be no problem with 1/4" plywood. I'll explain that someday soon. Working around these problems is what it's all about. Also I went 4' wide and with insulated panels the interior width will only be 45" but I'm a widower and at 70+ I'll probably be alone. Even at that our Volkswagen Westfalia only measured 44" across the bed area and we had lots of room for the wife and myself. After years of tenting, popups and the VW we were used to close quarters.

The top photo shows a measurement of 11" x 2'8.5" which also is not the hinge placement, but rather the third point for the hatch radius. These are only earlier developemental drawings. Some day I hope to put all the plans out on my site for the taking, but only after they make a successful build.
An Ol Timer
Teardrop Master

Postby Erik-the-red » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:07 pm

Holy smokes! I saw your drawing and thought "that's my trailer design." Send me your email address and I'll send you a couples of pics. I think you'll like the shape.
Erik-the-red
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bdosborn » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:06 am

Not quite a Benroy, they have an elipse for the rear as opposed to a radius. I put my hatch at 9'-6" from the front of the tear so I wouldn't have to worry about getting aluminum sheets that are longer than 10' to cover the top.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion