Newbie/Wannabie On Board

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Newbie/Wannabie On Board

Postby Grandadeo » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:34 pm

Just registered - been lurking for a few weeks trying to take in the tons of info on this forum. My name is Lee Bearror in Jensen Beach, FL, Paradise - but don't tell anyone. Recently retired and playing catch up on house and hot rod projects. I drive a '32 Ford roadster and am working on a '48 Ford panel truck. Plan to use both as tow vehicles for my future tear. Been collecting info and old magazine articles for a few years knowing that a teardrop was the way to go. Since retirement my progression towards a teardrop started with a 1993 30' class A motor home. That lasted about 3 months and I sold it. Too big and expensive and just not me. Looked at several different types of travel trailers, even a nice '50s 13' foot canned ham, but they we all just too big, especially for my '32 Ford. So here I am back at square one where I started. After looking at all the styles and ways to go I think building a Ken-Skill clone is what I want to do. Guess the first step is to contact Grant Whipp for a pattern and fenders. I know I'll have tons of questions so bear with this newbie. Since Lee and LeeB were already taken I picked Road Trip for a name - it's my favorite outdoor sport.
Happy Motoring!
Grandadeo
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:31 pm

Hey Lee,

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a Kenskill is an excellent choice to go behind your tow vehicles. Take lots of photos when you build, okay? We'll want to see them!!! ;)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Newbie/Wannabie On Board

Postby Gage » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:06 pm

Road Trip wrote:After looking at all the styles and ways to go I think building a Ken-Skill clone is what I want to do. Guess the first step is to contact Grant Whipp for a pattern and fenders. I know I'll have tons of questions so bear with this newbie. Since Lee and LeeB were already taken I picked Road Trip for a name - it's my favorite outdoor sport.

A good choice and a good direction to start. I patterned my Scotsman after a Kenskill. George at the Teardrop Fix-it Shop can also help out as for Ken-Skill parts.

Have a good day,
Gage
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby David Grason » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:28 pm

Even though you've settled on a KenSkil clone, you might want to seriously consider getting the plans from www.kuffelcreek.com. With those plans, you can build a tear of any profile but these plans solve a myriad of problems that otherwise, you may have to learn the hard way. Granted, virtually all the answers are on this board as well, but the Kuffel Creek plans have it all laid out in a very easy to follow format. I especially have been thrilled with the materials lists in the index. Each step along the way, there will come a point in the construction where the Kuffel plans will say something such as: "At this point purchase all the items on list #4" for example. Building a teardrop, ANY teardrop, is a huge scavenger hunt and it's really time consuming your first time around. The Kuffel plans have streamlined that like you just wouldn't believe. They really ARE worth the modest priced asked.
I am NOT a complete idiot! Some of the pieces are missing.
David Grason
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion