Electric water heaters...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby tonyj » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:52 pm

Woodyperk6 has some type of small on-demand electric installed in his trailer. You might send him a PM for details. As I recall it has no tank, but he said it provides all the hot water they need.
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby fornesto » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:20 pm

Some folks have made solar water heaters for pools and hot tubs out of 1/2" black irrigation line (think drip system) that's coiled. It's super cheap but you have to be very careful when coiling it so it won't kink. It's also not too toxic. If you built one into a 3'x3' plywood box with a plexiglass face, it would be very portable.
fornesto
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:35 pm

Tony, thanks for the lead... :thumbsup:
Fornesto ... another Great idea ...Thanks !!! So many alternatives
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:46 am

I got to talk to a plumber about the plastic pipe and the required fittings , he thought it was a good idea for an amateur :oops: but didn't know about the UV resistance ...I did get his card , and he told me he'd check on some tiny EWHs... I have to call back ...
sent an e-mail to Wperk6, but answer came there none .... yet..
More research...
Those Hot Rods are looking easier and easier ...plus some type of Solar...sorta' 3 way water heating ,4 way if you count a redneck water heater/coffeemaker...hahahahaha...alternatives :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Solar heater works a treat

Postby sitnievasnie » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:46 am

Hi Fornesto / GPW (From South Africa) 8)

We in South Africa are blessed with wonderful sunny weather. So at my bushveldt retreat where one of my standies has been perminently sited I built a solar heater to drive my outdoor spa / bubble bath.

Yup, I spa butt naked in da bush.... :D

(Gosh now I come to think abut it... Dat's be one r-e-a-l-l-y scary thought....) :twisted:

Essentially it consists of 200M of 20mm diameter black irrigation pipe coiled and cable-tied to an old round steel roof thatching frame that my neighbour up the way in Johannesburg threw away.

(Picture an antiquated ol' twit rolling a 3m diameter frame round the neighbourhood to get it home.. no wonder they think I'm crackers)

Anyhow,
Once the sun's been up for about 3 - 4hours, I promise you, I get a constant flow of water so hot I can't hold me mitt under it.

Not withstanding that I used a low pressure class of pipe, the structure has been going for about 2&1/2 years now without any sign of degrading.

The gas geyser in the background is for when I want to spa at night....

I'm happy to post more pics of my retreat or the spa in action if you want them but this is the only pic of the whole shebang..

Goin Green's great :thumbsup:
Warren
Be gentle
sitnievasnie
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:38 pm

The first thing that came to mind when I saw the title of this thread, was a large coffee pot. I think there was a thread to that effect a while back.

But of course a large coffee pot won't give you hot showers, unless you fill a solar shower bag with it, or rig up something really fancy.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:19 pm

Now this is a great idea! Might get the kidlet's pool heated us earlier. :applause:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby GPW » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:35 am

Warren, that's really GREAT!!!...and certainly proven...so many Green ideas..no need to burn /consume anything...
Let's see now... The Sun grows and cooks our food, heats our water, makes electricity, disinfects our water, dries our clothes...and it's FREE and doesn't pollute our tiny little planet... no sane reason not to use it...
:thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion