How to ship a teardrop, PA to NM

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby mikeschn » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:33 pm

I could probably take it most of the way across Ohio... Say from Youngstown to Toledo...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Doug » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:36 pm

Half way across MO, no problem. I could pick it up, if necessary in either near Springfield, IL, or Mt. Vernon, IL depending whether it's coming across I-64 or I-70 / I-55.

I'd love to do this!

TEARS ACROSS AMERICA 2005 !!
Doug
Teardrop Advisor

Shipping Quotes

Postby DaveandDebbie » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:38 pm

samstoybox wrote:The filon can be rolled up and put inside the trailer. No responses yet from any of the auto shipping companies I've contacted--don't these folks want business. I appreciate all the kindness being offered and may try to coordinate a relay to get it part-way home. Apart from securing the hatch the trailer is ready to tow. I have a NM license plate to put on it. Will keep you informed. Thanks again.
:thinking: Hello everyone Ijust found this site and it seems samstoybox and I have the same problem I purchased a LittLeGuy on ebay brand new 2005 with all the bells and whistles http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWN:IT now how do I get it from Georgetown SC to Dallas FortWorth I am having the same problem with Car shippers They just don't seem to want the business. one wants $3 per mile and at 1200 miles thats out / afreight hauler will do it for $1200 thats a rate of 100 dollars per foot of trailer space that the teardrop will take up this is the best quoate yet but money is tight and that is still $1000 less than it would have cost me to buy a new one from a local dealer with the same options. I am considering renting a car in Fl. or SC. Installing a tow hitch that would also fit my tow vehicle and bringing it home the price would be about the same well a few hundred less but it would also take 2 days out of my busy scedule .It also seems the car rental prices jumped $100 for spring break so it looks like I will still have to wait a fue more weeks if I take that opetion. Well if anyone has any more sugestions I would love to hear them Thanks David
DaveandDebbie
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Shipping Quotes

Postby exminnesotaboy » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:48 pm

DaveandDebbie wrote:I am having the same problem with Car shippers They just don't seem to want the business.

I am guessing it is because it is difficult to pull the trailer off and on the truck quickly. My father recently had a 66 Willys Jeep shipped from Arizona to Minnesota and the price was ridiculous because it wasn't running due to a bad ignition. Once he had the ignition rigged up (to start with a screwdriver, no less), they cut the price in half to 800$. Who know how many times it switched trucks - the driver who dropped it off said it went through Washington State.

Sorry, can't help with moving your Lil' Guy - Missouri doesn't fall between your points :)
exminnesotaboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby rjhager » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:04 pm

Don't know how this is going but I'd be happy to help get across the Texas panhandle -- say Shamrock to Tucumcari. :chicken:
Working on a KuffelCreek Comet.
rjhager
Teardrop Builder

Postby samstoybox » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:38 am

Latest update on my quest to secure my tear. The few bids I got to transport the tear were both over $2000. Like Dave/Debbie I looked into renting a car/SUV one way to tow it but was informed by every car rental company that they would not allow anything to be towed by one of their vehicles under any circumstances. So be very careful about installing a temporary hitch on a rental car, you may end up paying some big dollars if they find out. I could rent a U-Haul with a hitch on the back. The smallest truck they would rent one way would still cost $1200.00.

I do appreciate the kind offers from members of this forum to attempt to relay the tear home but think the coordination of such an attempt would be very difficult.

So... My oldest son and I are flying to the east coast on Monday with plans to buy a vehicle to tow the teardrop home. I'll then sell the new vehicle or one of my existing vehicles when I get back (at a HUGE profit!!! LOL). Buying a vehicle long distance isn't as easy as it should be. I've located a couple I like on eBay and attempts to work with the seller haven't been all that successful. With my schedule already planned (flights bought and paid for) I need to pick up any vehicle I buy at a specific time/date. So far the sellers I've contacted all have different stories about why I can't get their vehicle at that time.

I'm taking this Friday off to contact various car dealers in PA in hopes that they will have some vehicles ready for me to look at when I get there. I found a pretty good resource on the net to locate car dealer's contact information and websites:

http://www.domesticsale.com/autodealers/

Most of the dealerships have their used car inventory online.

I'll try to document the continuing saga of my teardrop crusade when I return from PA. Until then...
Sam Cancilla
http://www.samstoybox.com/teardrop/ - My teardrop (re)build site
samstoybox
Teardrop Builder

Postby Nitetimes » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:20 pm

Don't know what kind of vehicle you are looking to buy but a friend of mine is selling this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... AMESE%3AIT
and he doesn't live too far from Pittsburgh airport. It's gonna go way below what it's worth.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby samstoybox » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:37 am

Post teardrop retrieval update. My son and I flew to Baltimore, MD on Monday, picked up the GMC K1500 Pickup I bought (on eBay), added the trailer wiring and draw bar/tow ball and were off to pick up the tear on Tuesday morning. Close-up look at the teardrop showed that it was a bit rougher than I had hoped, will start a new thread with details. The tear towed like a dream behind the overkill tow vehicle and 37 hours, 2200 miles, 10 states, about 15 DVDs, and countless restroom breaks later the truck and tear were home.

The one and only mishap? We ran into 50+ mph headwinds for the last 150 miles. The fellow who built the trailer trimmed the filon siding very badly and on the front curve it wasn't tucked under the aluminum trim nor, apparently, was it glued down. I saw the gap and knew I would fix it when I got home but wasn't smart enough to cover with duct tape (which I brought with me) before we set out. You folks who are smarter than I am can see what's coming...

:cry: - Oh Sh*t

I discovered this while we were stopped for the hour only 50 miles from home waiting for the authorities to clear up an RV that the wind had flipped on the freeway. Glad that wasn't me.

You'll get to see my demolition/reconstruction of the trailer as I post it.
Sam Cancilla
http://www.samstoybox.com/teardrop/ - My teardrop (re)build site
samstoybox
Teardrop Builder

Postby BufordT » Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:04 am

Sam,

Got any real close up pic's of the filon that's left on the tear. With it looking like that it sure looks the same as FRP when it gets riped up.

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion