Got some work done

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Got some work done

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:42 am

Hello all,
Yes I am still here I have been very busy lately I have been working everyday for a month and a half. We are setting up a new division that I will be heading. :o so I have not had much time to visit. At last we got some good weather this weekend. The weather was perfect for tear building And I made some real progress. I got the walls up, the front attached, the back galley wall with countertop installed, and the interior cabinets done. I will snap a few pictures this week and get them posted. This weekend I will install the front tongue box and finish the galley and varnish the whole thing.
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Postby SteveH » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:15 pm

Way to go Steve! I definately want to see some pictures. :thumbsup:
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:31 am

Steve,
nice avitar. The tear looks great.
Steve J.

GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Postby SteveH » Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:44 am

Steve,

Thanks. Have you decided what covering you are going to use, if any?

If you are going aluminum, give me a call as I've totally researched it locally. Also, I've got a utility trailer to haul it if you need to borrow it.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby asianflava » Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:55 pm

Where did you get your trim? did you get it locally?
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:49 pm

SteveH wrote:Steve,

Thanks. Have you decided what covering you are going to use, if any?

If you are going aluminum, give me a call as I've totally researched it locally. Also, I've got a utility trailer to haul it if you need to borrow it.

I am going wood on the side and aluminum on the top I have some small curves I will have to deal with so I will need something very bendable. Thanks for the offer for the utility trailer but I have a couple of 16 footers I can use if need be.

As asianflava asked where did you get the trim?
I just (1 minute ago) ordered handles and inside latches from Austin Hardware. Next will be windows. :applause: Thanks.
Steve J.

GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Postby SteveH » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:00 pm

Asian, and Steve

Sorry, didn't realize that Asian's question was for me. I assume you guys are talking about the aluminum trim moulding? I got it from a local RV parts place, Texas RV Supply, on Austin Highway in San Antonio. I'm not real prowd of it as it is standard "J" drip moulding and I had to straighten out the curved portion of the "J" to make it work for corner moulding and the vise marks are visable.

With all the new RVs going to fiberglass rounded ends and panels, the old timey type mouldings are getting hard to find, and what I used was all I could in SA. It is fairly soft, so bending it was no problem except for my real tight bends at the lower front.
SteveH
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Almost a shame to cover the great grain in this Birch.

Postby KZ76017 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:13 pm

Guys,

I can't decide whether to go with the clean look of white enamel coated aluminum or plain aluminum at $2.50 a square foot or go with the wood sides.
What do you think about this:
Almost a shame to cover the great grain in this Birch plywood I got.

Check it out: Image

Last edited by KZ76017 on Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KZ76017
Teardrop Master

Postby SteveH » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:17 pm

KZ,

Mine is birch also, and to be honest, I kind of wish I had left the sides wood. Oh well, what's done is done.
SteveH
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby KZ76017 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:20 pm

SteveH wrote:KZ,

Mine is birch also, and to be honest, I kind of wish I had left the sides wood. Oh well, what's done is done.

Yours looks pretty clean! I like the way yours looks.

I'm thinking maybe I'll try to epoxy it. I've never done that and if I screw it up I can cover it with aluminum.

I'm just glad to be making some progress!
KZ76017
Teardrop Master

Re: Almost a shame to cover the great grain in this Birch.

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:40 am

KZ76017 wrote:Guys,

I can't decide whether to go with the clean look of white enamel coated aluminum or plain aluminum at $2.50 a square foot or go with the wood sides.
What do you think about this:
Almost a shame to cover the great grain in this Birch plywood I got.

Check it out: http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=1081

http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=1082

KZ76017,
Both of those reasons are why I am leaving the sides wood. That birch just looks too good to cover.

I made a little more progress yesterday. I put in the sink and finished the framing of the inside cabinet and started the front box. I took some pictures now I just need to down load them from the camera and post them.
Steve J.

GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Wood sides

Postby KZ76017 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:44 am

when I was putting up the right side. I discovered id kinda screwed the pooch because I didn't flip the good grain to the outside on that piece so I've got good grain on the outside of the left side and the inside of the curb side.

I may have to use the aluminum just to cover my mistakes and lack of foresight. Look at my build photos......

:x 8) :?
KZ76017
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:15 am

Stuff happens.

When I built my first Benroy I wanted to try water based stain instead of oil based stain. What a mess. The whole inside of the tear looked blotchy.

I almost dragged it to the curb that day for the trash!

I later recovered, and spray painted the entire inside white. It turned out good, in spite of the mistake! ;)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion