Fat Shadow on Order!

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Fat Shadow on Order!

Postby Rob » Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:52 pm

We just ordered a Hunter Fat Shadow! :P I'm nervous and excited all at once. They will start the process in April and it will be done late-May to early-June. I have already arranged for the time off from work to pick it up. We have been looking at all the makes and models from here to Wisconsin. The Hunter HU-4 Fat Shadow fit our needs and wants the best overall. The Mrs has already been to REI.com for accessories. I'm thinking about an oven for morning cinnamon rolls - thanks Dean. I appreciate all the help I have received here and the personal TD tours I have received. Now we need to think of a theme. Winedrop? :wine: Abby's mobile dog house? (woof, woof)
Thx, Rob
Rob
:wine:

:peace:
Rob
500 Club

Postby San Diegan » Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:57 pm

Wuhu, Rob. My HU-1 is being produced in the same time frame. I am still up in the air about delivery versus picking it up. Perhaps we will cross paths up in Idaho or back down here in Southern California. :thumbsup:

Tom
San Diegan
Teardrop Master

Postby Gage » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:13 pm

Awww, now you guys need to plan on going to the ITG in June to break them in. :applause:

Have a good day,
Gage
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Rob » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:18 pm

I took a week off in February, I'll be taking another week off in early June. I don't think I can take another week off in June. :( That is just before the end of our fiscal year. The boss would not be a happy camper. :fb I may have to plan something for next year.
Rob
Rob

Rob
500 Club

Postby Sarge » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:22 pm

Rob,

Official congratulations! :applause: Maybe we'll meet out camping and can raise a glass together.

As far as a theme/name: Since I've been using mine almost exclusively with my 3 year old son to give his mom a break, I'm thinking of "The Tiny Terror." Coming to a campsite near you! :twisted:

Again, very happy for you!

-Sarge
-Sarge

Don't "should" on yourself, there are plenty of others who will "should" on you for no reason. Accept what you did and move on. Life is too short.

2011 Three Feathers, Pinecone
2005 Hunter HU-4, Fat Shadow - SOLD
1961 Body
Sarge
Teardrop Master

Postby pgwilli » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:08 pm

I guess its time to officially de-lurk.

We're scheduled to pick up our new HU-4 on April 8th.

I have been meaning to reply to the "any Hunter owners out there" thread but all the little blinky guys over there on the left kind of freaked me out.
I'll make an effort to learn this bb interface and join in now that I've broken silence.

This forum has been a wealth of info since we have been comtemplating trading in our tent on a teardrop.
Thanks,
Paul
Paul, Norma & the Girls
2014 Escape 21
2006 Chevy Trailblazer
pgwilli
Lifetime member

Postby Rob » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:30 pm

Paul-
It sounds like you'll be picking up yours just as they start mine. Congratulations. Please tell them to be gentle with my new baby. It's a big step for me to go from a tent to a tear drop. And say hi to Phil & SuZanne for me.
Thx, Rob
Rob

Rob
500 Club

Postby Sarge » Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:21 pm

Pgwilli,

Welcome to the world of Hunter tear drops!

What options did you order with yours? That is, if I'm not too nosey :NC
-Sarge

Don't "should" on yourself, there are plenty of others who will "should" on you for no reason. Accept what you did and move on. Life is too short.

1961 Body
Sarge
Teardrop Master

Postby pgwilli » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:23 pm

Hi Sarge,
Let see silverware drawer, battery box, 110v (not sure why, but seemed easier than wishing we had it later), heater and fan, sleeping pads, and brakes. We're going to tow it with a Subaru Outback, so I thought the brakes would be a good option - lots of mountains to cross here in WA.
We are planning to live with the stock galley for a while and see what develops, I've watched with interest the mods shared by the members of this board.
We are somewhat aging backpackers and sea kayakers who have been doing more and more car camping with friends. We kicked around the idea of some type of RV but couldn't quite make the jump financially or philosophically to a motorhome and don't have (or want) the truck for a big trailer.
When we saw a teardrop it seemd the ideal solution.
We settled on the Hunter after seeing Dave and Kate's ADK web site then driving over to Coeur d'Alene and meeting Phil and SuZanne and check out there production. Very nice, helpful folks.
Take care,
Paul
Paul, Norma & the Girls
2014 Escape 21
2006 Chevy Trailblazer
pgwilli
Lifetime member

Postby Sarge » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:24 pm

Pgwilli,

I don't know who uses it as a signature block, but someone has written, "Those who can't do use plastic." That's me in a nutshell. I have the stock galley and have purchased some plastic drawers and trays that work great. When I get my lazy rear to take photos, I'll share them with you so you can see what another Fat Shadow owner has done. I tried really hard to keep the counter space to the right of the stove open so I could use it as a meal preparation area. It's worked very well.

BTW, my trailer does not have brakes and SuZanne drove mine to my house over the Sierras in January with her Subaru Baja. She deserved Hazard Pay! :lol:

CampADK Dave has been great in showing us how he's modified his Hunter. We should continue his tradition to enlighten one another on how we can increase our teardrop enjoyment.

-Sarge
-Sarge

1961 Body
Sarge
Teardrop Master

Postby Rob » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:25 pm

Options I'm ordering:
Foam cushion - ground/wood is too hard for this old bod,
Ventilation - the dog sometimes has gas (never me),
Battery box,
110 wiring,
Utensil drawer,
Two extra drawers under the utensil drawer.
The ice chest will be carried in the Honda Passport and placed on a portable table when camping.
Rob
Rob

Rob
500 Club

Postby San Diegan » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:03 pm

Ventilation system
2nd "Stove" Pull-Out Drawer (RH side)
Silverware Drawer
Battery Containment Box
Spare Tire with Mount
Annodized Alum. Exterior
2nd pair of Galley Cabinets (RH side)

Tom
San Diegan
Teardrop Master

Postby Sarge » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:26 pm

Don't know if I ever mentioned what I ordered, so here goes:

Spare tire and mount
mattress pads
silverware drawer
annodized sides
Shore Power (110v)
Heater
Vent
Battery Containment box (and the battery itself)
Coleman propane stove mounted

Since then I've added:

curtains and rods
door latches
piano hinge for under-bed storage
s/s paper towel holder in galley
3 coat hooks (2 inside sleeping area, one in the galley)

about it, I think :thinking:

-Sarge
-Sarge

1961 Body
Sarge
Teardrop Master

Postby San Diegan » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:33 pm

Well, Sarge, you have the real deal and I am still dreaming until delivery. Here is my wish list for after delivery goodies:

12 V Mattress Pad Warmer
4" Foam Pad 73" X 47"
4" Pad Cover
2 Pillow 25" x 20"
2 Coat Hooks
2 Burner Electronic Ignition Propane Stove
Bulk Propane Cylinder - 11lbs.
12' Stay Flow Adapter Hose
Water Tank
Water Pump
WATER FILL FLUSH MT AL
2 Door Holds
2 sets side table brackets
Clamshell Vents

Would you believe I have the (growing) list in a spreadsheet with supplier, stock number, price, and links to the supplier's web site? Compulsive, I guess.

Tom
San Diegan
Teardrop Master

Postby pgwilli » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:12 pm

Wow Tom,
I have been teased about the Excel spreadsheet with all my backpacking gear I use to plan trips, but you have me totally outclassed on this one.

I my defence, we just moved into a new house, so I haven't had much spare time too even think about the Shadow - Yet!

I think we choose the Hunter design over some others because it seems like it will lend itself to individual "tailoring" better that some of the other manufacturer's offerings. Studing the work done by Dave and Kate on Camp ADK and now, chatting with you guys, I think we made the right choice.

I had been planning on hinging the bottom storage, but I didn't notice that the doors need latches on the inside. Coat hooks seem like a must have too.
Care to share that spreadsheet Tom?
Later,
Paul
Paul, Norma & the Girls
2014 Escape 21
2006 Chevy Trailblazer
pgwilli
Lifetime member

Next

Return to General Discussion