Studded tires

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby NW_Subie » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:26 pm

You should see people running around right now with chains on bare pavement. Talk about chewing up the roads. Studs are nice for those of us who spend time in the mountains and east side of the state. I'm not sure about most of the folks in the Willamette Valley. They'll put them on for the whole winter and often never get any use out of them.

I've wondered about towing my TD in the winter. I see a lot of trailers with snowmobiles in the mountains. I don't think I've ever seen studs or chains on the trailers. ODOT does require chains on vehicles with trailers when chains are required. I guess my only concern would be how light the TD is and the possibility of jackkniffing.
NW_Subie
Teardrop Master

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:49 pm

Juneaudave wrote:The 'studless" tires are the preference of taxi guys in Juneau. Blizzaks, Michelin Ice-x, or other soft compound tire. They don't last as long, but they work really well and you don't have to changeover from studs in the spring. We put a set of the Ice-X on Marcia's Element this winter and she feels safer....I'm kinda an "all season" radial guy myself...

Dave I thought taxis were reindeer over there in You know Alaska? :lol: :lol: Theyve got the best traction ever. :D
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Juneaudave » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:58 pm

Classic Finn wrote:
Juneaudave wrote:The 'studless" tires are the preference of taxi guys in Juneau. Blizzaks, Michelin Ice-x, or other soft compound tire. They don't last as long, but they work really well and you don't have to changeover from studs in the spring. We put a set of the Ice-X on Marcia's Element this winter and she feels safer....I'm kinda an "all season" radial guy myself...

Dave I thought taxis were reindeer over there in You know Alaska? :lol: :lol: Theyve got the best traction ever. :D

You kidding...reindeer can't compete with the Joulupukki!!! Get some solstice pics would ya!!!!
:lol:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby brian_bp » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:26 pm

For anyone who hasn't already realized this, Nokia is the cell phone company (see Nokia in Wikipedia) and Nokian is the tire company (see Nokian Tyres in Wikipedia). The naming is not just a coincidence: they were parts of the same company - apparently named after the city of Nokia - until 1988.

Nokia is a world leader in wireless telecommunciations, while Nokian is well known for high-performance winter tires; I currently have Nokians on three vehicles, but no Nokia phone. The tires are the WR "all weather" design, which is a winter tire which wears well enough to use in summer; it might be a decent choice for a trailer which sees winter use, especially since it tends to come in the XL (extra load) version, and trailers often load their tires heavily.

Sorry if this is a sidetrack... I still don't have any experience with studs on a trailer.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion