Your Portable potti choices

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby Siobhra » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:55 am

I love DEE BEE's idea. I build camp furniture for our medieval club. I make all the furniture to take apart for travel. I already make throne's so why not make a Throne. :thinking:
Same style but with a secret in the seat.
As a child I was my own imaginary friend.
Siobhra
Teardrop Advisor

Postby firemaniac » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:28 pm

I saw this the other day in a catalog and thought "holy crap that would be perfect"

www.theoffroadcommode.com
Image[/img]
Chris

When in doubt, run in circles, scream, and shout!
firemaniac
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:43 pm

firemaniac wrote:I saw this the other day in a catalog and thought "holy crap that would be perfect"

www.theoffroadcommode.com
Image[/img]

Nothing like needing a step stool to go.......Notice it says "not for moving vehicle" wonder who caused that warning. 8) :lol:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby firemaniac » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:21 pm

I saw that warning and I started thinking (dangerous enough in itself), thinking of a certain show that was on MTV for a few years, that somehow they made not 1 butt 2 movies out of, and what those boys would do with it
:DOH2:

Sorry for that mental image
Chris

firemaniac
Teardrop Master

Postby firemaniac » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:34 pm

When the tear isn't hitched up, put that commode on a hinge with a pin holding it upright, on a cover or pull tag "FOR EMERGENCY USE ONLY"
Chris

firemaniac
Teardrop Master

Postby Donutboy » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:01 am

I have a Thetford and love it. If you get the marine models they come with a mounting kit. You can choose the capacity you think you will need. One of the larger Thetfords even has a battery operated flusher.

And yep, on a camping trip it was almost full and my three-year-old produced a "log" that would put mine to shame. I took toilet paper and shoved it down there. Lets just say that was a bad (and messy) idea.

But they really are odorless. If I were to pick an "essential" for camping that would be on the list.
Jerry
Retro-Kamper
(Puffin for Four)
Donutboy
Teardrop Master

Postby kirkman » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:33 am

I think I am going to build a humanure toilet for my shop! :thinking: I don't think I can get the wife to use one when camping! She would just look at me and say you want me to use WHAT :shock: !!! I will stick to the Thetford for her! :lol:
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby SmokeyBob » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:33 pm

Our Thetford battery operated flusher. Wouldn't leave home with out it. I made this raised platform to sit it on. Makes getting up a lot eaiser when you have weak legs and protects the bottom from rocks. The top reservoir holds three gallons of water. I only put in one gallon. Last us about two days before it needs emptying. Not as heavy to carry.

That strange device leaning on the potty is a fold up dolly. Makes carrying that 5 gal water jug real easy. 8)
Pics for Building the Alegria I
To view video click Here

Bob & Judith
SmokeyBob
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby John Boeckstiegel » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:55 pm

This what works for us. There are 2 straps of metal under the lid. Just put a small counter garbage bag on and do your business. Tie wraps in the pouch .... tie it, put in trash.

I drilled out the rivets that hold it together and put in bolts with wing nuts. All fits in a 3" thick bag about 20" x 20" Bought it at garage sale for 5.00 bucks. Can use it for a seat when showering too. Wont have the shower in the camper though :cry:
John Boeckstiegel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby wlooper89 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:07 am

Great discussion about a very practical issue. So far we have been trying to camp not too far from the campground restrooms/showers. But for nighttime it is less inviting to get dressed and walk to the facility. So we have been using a product called Travel John to pee during the night. It actually works very well for men and women and disposal is easy. A chemical solidifies the waste so there is no spill and very little odor. The 20 oz capacity of one sometimes does not get me through the night if I drink a lot of wine in the evening, but two of them will for sure. :thumbsup: Works for the two of us but might be more expensive for a family than another option.

http://www.botachtactical.com/travjhonperu.html

Patricia would rather use these, but I am still thinking about something like the previous post or maybe a Thetford potty. :thinking:

Bill
Last edited by wlooper89 on Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:54 am, edited 5 times in total.
wlooper89
Gold Donating Member

Postby wlooper89 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:37 am

SmokeyBob wrote:Our Thetford battery operated flusher. Wouldn't leave home with out it. I made this raised platform to sit it on. Makes getting up a lot eaiser when you have weak legs and protects the bottom from rocks. The top reservoir holds three gallons of water. I only put in one gallon. Last us about two days before it needs emptying. Not as heavy to carry.

Your platform under the Thetford is a great idea. I was wondering about the toilet being tall enough. We do not have room for it in the trailer but maybe in a Cabela privacy tent that would fit inside or outside our screen room tent.

Bill
wlooper89
Gold Donating Member

Postby beverlyt » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:48 am

Flushable.... and a bag toilet:

Reliance Products Flushable Portable Loo

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... d=10098753

http://www.rei.com/product/771482
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby Tripmaker » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:10 am

I found a seat that snaps on a standard 5 gallon plastic bucket for $10 at Dick's.
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby jackdaw » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:39 pm

We carry a Fiamma BI-POT 30 like this. Its like the Thetford, but may be a little cheeper.
It has it's own cupboard in the back of the trailer, and sits in the side tent when we set up.
We use the camp site facilities , and just have the Bi-Pot for the odd night time emergency call. It hardly see's any use, but its there just in case. I like the fact its odorless. :thumbsup:
jackdaw
500 Club

Postby dmb90260 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:22 pm

wlooper89 wrote:Your platform under the Thetford is a great idea. I was wondering about the toilet being tall enough. We do not have room for it in the trailer but maybe in a Cabela privacy tent that would fit inside or outside our screen room tent.

Bill

For someone with worn out knees, the booster is a big help. It also makes a storage case for my PETT. It is almost surprising how much difference a couple inches make.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion