Your Portable potti choices

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby wlooper89 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:11 pm

John Boeckstiegel wrote:This what works for us. There are 2 straps of metal under the lid. Just put a small counter garbage bag on and do your business. Tie wraps in the pouch .... tie it, put in trash.

I drilled out the rivets that hold it together and put in bolts with wing nuts. All fits in a 3" thick bag about 20" x 20" Bought it at garage sale for 5.00 bucks.

Something like John has in the above quoted reply could be ideal. Probably I would not find one at a yard sale, but even new it might not be too expensive. My knees are getting a little creaky and the handholds look nice. Also John's idea of making it collapsible using wing nuts. I imagine a 5 gal. bucket could go underneath to contain a plastic bag with kitty litter. This might be easier for disposal then with a flushable type potti. :thinking:

Bill
Last edited by wlooper89 on Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:10 pm, edited 7 times in total.
wlooper89
Gold Donating Member

Postby Arne » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:18 pm

probably depends on how often you think you will need it... I have never set my pett up at a campground... it has only been used one time... when at a c/g, swambo says to get one near the loo..... so I doo....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby wlooper89 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:41 pm

We need it every night for sure, unless we continue to use the Travel John disposable urinal product. We tend to drink wine in the evening. :)

Bill
Last edited by wlooper89 on Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
wlooper89
Gold Donating Member

Postby Trackstriper » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:59 pm

Bill,

This will be long but maybe it will help. I have a small "cubby hole" section in my work van that I can use as a camper when I'm out of town working solo. Something about Motelophobia. I have a sit-down, hot water shower with a small portable toilet to sit on...it serves dual use. I've been using this set up for about eight years now.

My first toilet was a Thetford Porta-Potti with the bellows water pump. This potty lasted through seven years of regular use. Finally the cover lid for the seat cracked and split. Tried repairing it but after a few poor attempts just got rid of the unit; the seals were probably about due for replacement anyway.

I bought a Dometic 740 series potty about six months ago. This one seems to be well built but I find that the seat is considerably smaller than the Thetford and doesn't fit me all that well...a little too small, and I'm not a big fellow. The (air) pump system on the Dometic pressurizes water in the upper flush water tank and a push button effects the flush. It does not flush as well or as controllably as the Thetford. The Thetford bellows system would allow for a very controlled quantity of water to be used for flushing. I may not toss out the Dometic, but I will buy a new Thetford for my trailer. Some of the Thetfords have a battery operated pump, I'd like to check that out, but the bellows was very good, and quiet.

My first reaction to a porta-potti was ....yech, double yech! How're ya gonna clean that thing? Oh, that's gotta be bad. Once you get used to the idea it's no big deal. I am often around high schools while doing my work and can often use the outdoor restroom facilities at the athletic fields as a place to dump. On the road, some of the truck stop style gas stations will have dumping facilities. At home I dump into the bathroom toilet. Turn on the fan...no problem. About the only place that I've received a "no" from, upon asking, was an actual campground...I wasn't a paying guest.

The chemicals that you use do make a difference. The formaldehyde based products are hard on my breathing, just being around them. I've tried a number of products and right now I'm happy with Oxy-Kem packets available at WallyWorld. A bit pricey, but no smell. In the cooler months the toilet can go for quite a while without maintenance (unless it fills up). In the hotter summer months I will have to take care of maintenance about once a week weather I've used the potty much or not. You can pretty well tell by the odors when you open the slide valve during use.

I basically have my potty in constant "use" so that it's there for me when the time is opportune. I would imagine that if you are camping for just a week or so at a clip, you could finally empty the unit when you got home, flush it out, add new chemicals and you'd be ready to go next time.

If you only have occasion to use it once a year maybe one of those dry bag systems would work better. I just have occasion to use mine a lot, it's a great invention, and not half as messy as it sounds.

Bruce
Trackstriper
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:30 pm

:thumbsup: Good one Bruce. We have used ours when the plumber was needed. The only thing I will add again---if you can avoid it don't flush chemicals. They end up in someone's water..............
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Trackstriper » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:44 pm

Aunti M,

I'm sure the chemical issue has been discussed before somewhere, just don't know if I've seen it. And I'm ready to learn.

So to be light about it, my wife Suzan is definitely a "no chemical" kind of lady. Then I explain that I'm putting NaCl on my french fries and I'll wash it down with a little dihydrogen monoxide... so she gives me a dirty look for being as wise guy. Actually we're both chemically sensitive so we do try to pay attention to chemical details in life, this does complicate the trailer thing with regard to building materials...but that's a story for another day.

Hopefully the Oxy-Kem will be a good solution to the porta-potti problem. If you have information contrary let me know, I don't want to goober up the works for other people either.

To help me understand, do the RV waste disposal areas at campsites and parks have a different system going? Do they have to dispose of waste as hazardous materials or is this some kind of creeping problem that is (just?) starting to surface? Maybe been around a long time and I'm unaware? Help me out here. Thanks.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Eliminating-RV-Odors&id=556653

(check 9th paragraph down)

Bruce
Trackstriper
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:24 am

:applause: :thumbsup: Hey Bruce, great information. I read the back of the stuff we bought from Sears---a while ago admittedly---and it says not to pour into the toilet or sewage system. Now this stuff sounds great! Not a chemist but I do care very much what lands in my water I drink.

Now to get some citrusy stuff. 8) Must be what came with our porta we haven't been able to find again. :twisted:

Thanks for the info. ;)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby wlooper89 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:53 am

Bruce,

I just want to echo Miriam's thanks for a very knowledgeble discussion based on your long experience with two different porta potti brands. The Oxy-Chem product sounds like a very good choice also. From the way you describe your setup I imagine being self-contained is a big plus, whereas we are usually at a campground that always has trash bins or dumpsters near the camp sites. Also our potti will be outside in a small privacy tent rather than inside the trailer. We use a 10' X 10' screen room tent and I think the privacy tent can tuck in behind that pretty much out of sight. There will be a good bit of assembly time with two tents but on the positive side any odors will mostly stay outdoors.
Thanks again, :thumbsup:

Bill
Last edited by wlooper89 on Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
wlooper89
Gold Donating Member

Postby packerz4 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:08 am

i have the Thetford porta-potty, and LOVE it. the controlled flusher thing i don't like, (seemed to leak) and though the water used to flush is clean potable water, the fact that there was wetness around the porta potty wierded me out. soooooo, we stopped using the contained reservoir for flushing.

we carry a laundry detergent bottle, (little bigger than 1 gal) filled with water. after using the potty we pour a LITTLE water around the bowl, and open the gate to release the dirty water into the holding tank. no more water around the flushing plunger on the toilet, and no worries about a freeze that may cause a crack in the unit.

another rule for our porta-potti is that it is used only for #1, if you gotta do #2 then it's off to an outhouse, gas station, tree, or something. works great! and i'm a germ-a-phobe, and cleaning it doesn't bother me a bit.

for odor control we use some lemon smelly stuff. have used a squirt of scented dish soap in a pinch too. works great for us.

tk
~ Go Packers! ~
www.2bagalot.com
packerz4
Donating Member

Postby wlooper89 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:53 am

Paige our cat always goes camping with us. She has the run of the trailer and our attached screen room tent. Of course that requires a litter box that travels with her in the back of the SUV or sits in a corner of the screen room tent while camping. It seems a bit ironic that Paige has a litter box and we do not. But I plan to change that. :thumbsup:

My new plan is to have a small cabana tent that will sit just outside the screen room tent adjacent to Paige's litter box. The small tent will contain one type or another porta potti and the smells of that and the litter box will blend together. ;) The cat potti and human potti will both be mostly outdoors so hopefully any odor will disperse quickly. Kitty litter helps with odor control for the litter box and maybe it will for our potti too. Paige covers her waste with litter and we can do the same by adding a scoop. I am getting excited about this idea. 8)

Bill
wlooper89
Gold Donating Member

Postby wlooper89 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:09 am

This is one possible product. Designed as a bedside toilet it folds for transportation. Adjustable height too. Seems it might work OK inside privacy tent with a plastic bag and kitty litter or a max absorbency Depend diaper or two, to dispose in campground trash. Using for #1 only I think. :thinking:
http://www.spinlife.com/critpath/spec.c ... ifications

Bill
Last edited by wlooper89 on Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:16 pm, edited 7 times in total.
wlooper89
Gold Donating Member

Postby Arne » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:52 am

given that it folds up, this could be the best thing yet. would be very stable, and could probably use pett products with it (bag with absorbent material)...... and the price is right. I've never had a real portapotti, because I was never in favor of having to dump it..

Also, in a note above, it was mentioned that the chemicals should not be put into a sewage system.... so, what do you do with it, dump it out in the woods? Any place, even a dump station, eventually goes into a sewage system.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby TinKicker » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:29 am

Bill said: My new plan is to have a small cabana tent that will sit just outside the screen room tent adjacent to Paige's litter box. The small tent will contain one type or another porta potti and the smells of that and the litter box will blend together.

Pottipouri? Aisle seven at WalMart. :rofl:
Sorry. Had to say it.
Kelsey
TinKicker
Teardrop Master

Postby wlooper89 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:37 pm

This is another folding porta potti that is less expensive than the one in the link I posted earlier:
http://www.healthproductsforyou.com/cat ... g-Commode/
This potti has a higher weight rating than the Drive Medical product and also appears to have a deeper bucket, so the bucket bottom would be further from vital parts. ;) I wish the seats on both brands were a little bigger but either should be OK. Online I saw bedside commodes with larger seats, but not on ones that fold. This last link is an instruction sheet that shows how the Invacare potti folds and unfolds. It looks easy enough.
http://www.invacare.com/doc_files/1145763.pdf

Bill
Last edited by wlooper89 on Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wlooper89
Gold Donating Member

Postby dmb90260 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:10 pm

If it is late at night and too much hassle to set up the PETT, I always have a good back up.

Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion