Good things to those who wait..

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Good things to those who wait..

Postby DestinDave » Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:22 am

My brother-in-law and I were heading over to Harbor Freight early yesterday morning to pick up the 1175lb kit and had stopped for breakfast. While talking about the frame he mentioned his son-in-law's father was going to do some welding for him so I asked if he might do some for me also. That led him to remember that a friend at work had an old pop-up he wanted to get rid of. A couple of phone calls and it turns I have an old pop-up FO-FREE and a "family" member who will do all the cutting, modifying, and welding for almost ZILCH. Nice thing about the pop-up is I can scavenge parts like sink, water tank, stove, propane tank, switches, wiring harness, who knows what all... And I get to start with my favorite part of construction - demolition... :lol:
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby David Grason » Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:25 am

I've noticed a funny thing about my 220v MIG welder. Once I got the shop wired for the 220v and the MIG working well out there, it must've given off some kind of aroma that only other people notice. It's the only way I can explain the multitude of people that I've never met before in my life that show up ringing my bell with welding projects that they want done for free.

"Excuse me, but could you weld this little bitty thing here? It won't take anytime at all......."

If you got a guy gonna do your welding for free, take it but do something nice for him in return and just be apreciative when he does it. That way, when he wises up, you'll still be one of the people that he'll help out because you never took him for granted.

Most guys that are set up to weld, find themselves in the postion that I described above. And yet, they LOVE to help folks. I know I do. But then here directly, people are just coming out of the woodwork, tying up guy's time, complaining that it's not right and they will just wear the poor guy out and never even say "thank you." Just don't be one of the "THOSE" people.

Most weldor guys keep a selection of "drops" somewhere around the shop. These are all the peices that came off the ends of the steel that were left over from previous projects. Drops are real important to any welding shop because they give you a wide variety of "problem solving" sizes and shapes without you having to spend big bucks buying new steel. However, to the uninitiated, they just look like trash. I've finally had to move all my drops inside under lock and key because my jerk neighbors were raiding my "bone yard." So here they would come, picking through my drops and then wanting me to weld up their project using my drop and then not even thanking me when I was finished.

:x

A lawncare "buddy" of mine needed some expanded steel for the tailgate on his lawncare trailer. I had a peice on my bone pile that was just about perfect. He asked what I would charge to weld and I said a 12 pack of Michelob would be nice. "Naw, that's ok" he said and he got in his truck and drove off. I guess my price was way too high. But I've never seen that peice of expanded steel since. I have no clue to what really happened to it. I have a theory though.

:roll:
I am NOT a complete idiot! Some of the pieces are missing.
David Grason
Teardrop Master

Postby DestinDave » Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:09 am

Doesn't sound like that piece is missing (ref your signature) !!! 8)

I've already given thought to taking them out for dinner or something nice for just that same reason. It seems like I'm always doing for others and asking nothing in return and quite often that's all I got. You really find out how many friends you have when you buy a boat and live on the water.
I finally put a little brass sign on my boat that read "This boat runs on gasoline, not thank-yous". I still used the boat every weekend and entertained friends, regardless.
Thank you for reminding me one of life's most important lessons - treat each other with respect and love.
Happy Easter everyone.......Dave
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby Arne » Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:10 am

""A lawncare "buddy" of mine needed some expanded steel for the tailgate on his lawncare trailer. I had a peice on my bone pile that was just about perfect. He asked what I would charge to weld and I said a 12 pack of Michelob would be nice. "Naw, that's ok" he said and he got in his truck and drove off. I guess my price was way too high. But I've never seen that peice of expanded steel since. I have no clue to what really happened to it. I have a theory though. ""

Now, that is cheap...... got the steel, can't spare the beer?

Reminds me of something that happened to me. I bought about $700.00 worth of r/c airplane stuff from a local shop.... next time I went in, same week, I bought something that was $7.02.... and he wanted, and got, the $.02 cents.

Another time, another place, I something similar happened, and the person at the register dropped the pennies off the total and gave me my change..... those couple of pennies bought him a customer for life....

The r/c guy? I only go back when I have to..... being cheap only bites you in the butt in the end....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Return to General Discussion