with say 12 inch wheels how heigh would trailer be off grou?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

with say 12 inch wheels how heigh would trailer be off grou?

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:17 pm

They say "comes with 12 inch wheels" does that include the tire or just the wheel? and if so how high is the tire? where is the center how many inches off the ground is the axel?

I know this sounds like those old dective shows
Dom dom dom ...... dom ... DOMB
Bet there are those of us who really do not dear with such things. :shock:

Ron D.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby angib » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:34 am

12" is the wheel diameter (actually it's the diameter of the tire seat in the rim, so the edge of the rim will be more like 13").

The tire diameter will depend on its section width as well as the wheel diameter - a 5.30x12 is bigger than a 4.80x12, though not by much (22.7" and 21.6" diam respectively).

Here are my crib sheets:

Dexter's wheel and tire chart - good for wheels as well as tires, but only in sizes appropriate to Dexter axles.

Goodyear RV tire chart - should be accurate but does 'ST'-type trailer tires only.

Carlisle trailer tire chart - goes down to 8" wheels, but is obviously tire only.

As well as diameter, you need to see the SLR = Static Loaded Radius. This is the distance from the ground to the axle centerline for a loaded tire - it's less than than the tire's radius due to the tire's 'bulge'. I use a figure somewhere between the SLR and the tire radius, since few teardrop tires are loaded near their maximum.

Hope that helps.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Return to General Discussion