Came Across Something More Annoying Than a Huge Generator...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Came Across Something More Annoying Than a Huge Generator...

Postby Sarge » Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:16 pm

I'm starting to like the sound of generators more...more than the sound of a 2 stroke, 50cc pocket motorcycle zooming around the campgroud.

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH was that ever annoying! :x

I was at Del Valle campgound in Livermore, CA, enjoying the sounds of the wild turkeys gobbling when some (CENSORED) 'idjit' decides he's going to ride his pocket motorcycle around the campsites. If you haven't heard one of these things, it's like a chainsaw with a megaphone attached. That's bad enough, but then the darn thing is mobile so this extremely loud chainsaw can zoom right by the trailer, which of course it did!

I guess this is part of the trials and tribulations of camping near a large urban area :cry:

Just thought I share my frustration....I feel better now.

-Sarge
-Sarge

Don't "should" on yourself, there are plenty of others who will "should" on you for no reason. Accept what you did and move on. Life is too short.

2011 Three Feathers, Pinecone
2005 Hunter HU-4, Fat Shadow - SOLD
1961 Body
Sarge
Teardrop Master

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:24 pm

Sounds like a good time to uncork your headers and show him something that sounds real good... :lol:

Postby Sarge » Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:29 pm

-Sarge

Don't "should" on yourself, there are plenty of others who will "should" on you for no reason. Accept what you did and move on. Life is too short.

2011 Three Feathers, Pinecone
2005 Hunter HU-4, Fat Shadow - SOLD
1961 Body
Sarge
Teardrop Master

Re: Came Across Something More Annoying Than a Huge Generato

Postby angib » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:41 am

Sarge wrote:Just thought I share my frustration....I feel better now.

You didn't stretch an almost-invisible line between two nearby trees, did you?
Of course putting it at neck height is criminal, whereas at chest height is just amusing......

Andrew

PS You need to use http://tinyurl.com/ (no www) to make that link
a reasonable length.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Rob » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:13 am

I have friends that used to live in Livermore. I wonder if they went home to roost for the weekend. I agree with angib. A nice rope about two feet high would be amusing if your fingerprints were not on it. :twisted: A neighbor of mine has an electric pocket bike that he rides though the local park at night without a light. I've thought of getting a laser pointer to see what he thinks of that on his chest , or in the middle of his forehead. :thinking: How 'bout a tack strip? Then again, you might try talking to them, but then again, that would not be nearly amusing. :roll:
rob
Rob
:wine:

:peace:
Rob
500 Club

Postby Larwyn » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:41 am

Those little bikes can be anoying alright, as can generators. But, the one thing that anoys me more than anything in a campground is loud music from a nearby campsite.

I have been driven to participate in such noise polution more than once. If the music is not turned down after I request it, I ease over to my truck, and crank up a cd of my own. It is an amazing fact that bag pipes will drown out all other noise and bring the original offender around to "make a deal"..... :lol:
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby San Diegan » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:35 pm

Sarge,

The East Bay Regional Parks Police have a web site for non-emergency incident reporting at http://www.ebparks.org/Police/pwr.htm. Among ordinances adopted, there is
908.8 General Noise Regulations.

a). General. Notwithstanding any other provision of this Chapter, and in addition thereto, it shall be unlawful for any person to willfully make or continue, or cause to be made or continued, any loud, unnecessary or unusual noise which disturbs the peace or quiet within any area within the District or which causes discomfort or annoyance to any reasonable person of normal sensitiveness utilizing any facility of the District.
b). Standards. The standards which shall be considered in determining whether a violation of the provisions of this Section exists shall include but not be limited to, the following
1). The level of the noise
2). The intensity of the noise
3). Whether the nature of the noise is usual or unusual
4). The level and intensity of the background noise, if any
5). The type of area within which the noise emanates
6). The intensity of human use of the area during the time at which the noise emanates
7). The time of the day or night the noise occurs
8 ). The duration of the noise
9). Whether the noise is recurrent, intermittent, or constant.

While there might be little satisfaction in reporting anything after the fact, doing so can at least emphasize to authorities that a problem exists.

In practice, I have found that urban proximity tends to attract dirtbags. Locations between 30 - 45 minutes of any concentrated urban area seem to attract some pretty rude people. Especially when there is mixed day-use and camping. Somewhere around 1.5 to 2 hours away things tend to thin out and appreciation for the environment and consideration increases (there are exceptions, though). Talking up experiences and plans with co-workers, neighbors, friends and acquaintances can sometimes give a heads-up on what to expect.

I realize that with Little Sarge along and Mom biding her time at home, you might want to stay closer. Sorry about your experience.

Tom
San Diegan
Teardrop Master

Postby angib » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:51 pm

Larwyn wrote:It is an amazing fact that bag pipes will drown out all other noise and bring the original offender around to "make a deal"..... :lol:

Damn, I worried that the rope at neck height might be an excessive response to the problem, but bagpipe 'music' - man, that's going too far.....

One of my particular weaknesses is organ music - I always found that when played at full tilt from the speakers of my Gold Wing motorcycle, traffic jams would part rather like the Red Sea.

I never did work out whether the cars thought it was an old two-tone emergency vehicle horn, or whether I was a minister of religion or whether it just induced such a sense of guilt that they behaved nicely.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby San Diegan » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:05 pm

A little bit more tongue in cheek, an accordion, amplifier, Lawence Welk sheet music, and the willingness to put them to use can raise a defense against noise pollution that handily surpasses the bagpipes.

If you drop an accordion, a set of bagpipes and a viola off a 20-story
building, which one lands first?
Who cares?

Tom
San Diegan
Teardrop Master

Postby angib » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:21 pm

I don't want to start a flame war, but I think the accordion is not in the
same league as the bagpipes - even the French army have never tried
to march into war behind an accordion, whilst many Scottish regiments
expect the enemy to simply run away when faced with bagpipes played
loudly.

Of course, it is the combination of bagpipes and kilts that really scares
the living daylights out of people - which of the two scares them more,
I don't know..... ;)

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Gage » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:01 pm

Boy am I going to have a lot of fun and space at Minden. Get there, insert a Dick Dale CD, set up camp and then jump on my gas scooter and see what every one else is doing. Oh and before I jump on the scooter, turn on the generator so my battery won't die.

Have a good day,
Gage
:lol:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby San Diegan » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:10 pm

In the interest of deferring to the Sarge's more immediate concern and disappointment, I will yield on the bagpipes versus accordion issue.

However, do know that I deploy special agents on my camping forlays

whose sole purpose is to deter the threat of disturbance of my peace through the potential for massive retaliation.

Tom

PS: I love Dick Dale and the Deltones. How about some Ventures thrown in?
San Diegan
Teardrop Master

Postby OurStuff4You » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:25 pm

I have a brand new, only played twice CD full of Scottish Bagpipe music I would be happy to "share". My son had to do a heritage report and chose to talk about our Scottish Clan roots. The bagpipe music was "background" noise. Turned up REALLY loud it'd be quite "interesting".
OurStuff4You
Donating Member

Postby Woody » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:31 pm

A counter attack with Slim Whitman's yodeling cowboy song would do it for me, plus it killed all the aliens from the movie "Mars Attacks". Played at full volume, for 30 seconds, I think it would over power any creature, offending or not, on the planet within 10 to 15 mile radius and bring the offending party to their knees in rather short order. Heck they might pay you to not do it again.
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Larwyn » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:51 pm

angib wrote:I don't want to start a flame war, but I think the accordion is not in the
same league as the bagpipes - even the French army have never tried
to march into war behind an accordion, whilst many Scottish regiments
expect the enemy to simply run away when faced with bagpipes played
loudly.

Of course, it is the combination of bagpipes and kilts that really scares
the living daylights out of people - which of the two scares them more,
I don't know..... ;)

Andrew

Andrew,

I did forget to mention that on one such occasion I actually was wearing a kilt. We were camping at a corps of engineers site near a renfaire, there were many of us in garb and armed with stage "weapons". Even with all that, it was necessary to break out the bagpipe cd to stop the loud music from 3 sites down. The guys excuse was that the party was at the site next to him and they could not hear the music if they turned it down. The suggestion that he move the boom box it was coming from closer to the party seemd to go right over his head..... :lol:
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Next

Return to General Discussion