Hot lessons learned, Coleman all the way

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Hot lessons learned, Coleman all the way

Postby dmb90260 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:52 am

After two failed attempts to burn things down I am going to use only Coleman products for anything to do with propane. I use a big propane tank with a distribution tree. The tank rides inside the Tear when not in use.
Fortunately I cook on a table near the Tear, not in the galley or I could be shopping for another Tear. I had previously tossed out a lantern and distribution tree that were not Coleman products since both worked only part time :oops: I thought I had my cooking needs well addressed. Wrong!!

In Jan during our rainy season I had my canopy up with side curtains on to keep the weather out and I was merrily cooking dinner when extra fire appeared in the pan of my stove. Seems one connection was not quite tight enough and had pooled under the burner. I turned off the gas, tossed water on it and more on the space where a new window hole had appeared in the side panel wall. I thought I had just not connected things correctly and swore to be more careful.

This past weekend I was out again, the stove and lantern were working properly. I decided I needed to use my small propane BBQ also. I connected it with my sole remaining non-Coleman product, a propane hose. I was very careful to connect it tightly and even pulled out the fire extinguisher to have it close at hand. Luckily the BBQ was not near the side wall, on purpose, as soon as the steak started to sizzle flame burst out to bottom of the BBQ. Being practicedat it by now things went-kill the gas, toss the water and attack with the fire extinquisher. The fire was out but the BBQ was fried (pun intended). I tossed it and the offendiing hose as soon as they were cool enought to touch

Some time this week I will go to SportMart for a Coleman hose and one of the combo grill/stove Colemans and happy I have $50 gift card to use.

My brother said there must be a lesson in this and I agree, only Coleman for propane products. :thumbsup:
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Woody » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:02 am

Better to be safe than sorry when it come s to gas and leaks. It is worth the extra money to buy namebrand parts
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby San Diegan » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:18 am

Would a CO2 fire extinguisher be effective in dealing with this kind of thing? Halon? Is that what you used? Shutting off the fuel source at the bottle also seems to be a key step (kill the gas). Thus keeping the bottle and valve at some distance from the site of the problem seems essential.

Thank you for the heads up on this problem. I have shied away from some of those high BTU burners on the market for this reason.

Tom
San Diegan
Teardrop Master

Postby dmb90260 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:33 am

Would a CO2 fire extinguisher be effective in dealing with this kind of thing? Halon? Is that what you used? Shutting off the fuel source at the bottle also seems to be a key step (kill the gas). Thus keeping the bottle and valve at some distance from the site of the problem seems essential.

Using the hose does keep any flames away from the cannister but that means the hose is still full of gas after it is turned off. This was an off-the shelf extinguisher and likey CO2. It worked fine once the gas supply dropped off.
Each trip has been a learning experience, including the times I thought the galley was secured only to find the "tear admirers" waving from the other car on the freeway were pointing to a problem.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Return to General Discussion