Overhanging the 4 x 8 HF trailer to make 5 x 9

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby smarttech » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:16 pm

mikeschn wrote:Many muffler shops are glad to do some welding for you... If you have bolted something together and just need reinforcement... so much the better...

My local muffler shop was ready to do my whole trailer, lock, stock and barrel!!!

Put it to the test... you might be surprised!

Mike...

Ya, a muffler shop is a good idea. We need a new muffler in my wifes car anyway. I might as well ask them about the TD. And, as you mentioned, I guess I could just bolt some things together as well. Thanks.
Steve Martin
Smart Technology
smarttech
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Bobgorilla » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:22 pm

Thanks Mike for the welcome, unfortunately I'm currently space limited inside and am working from a laptop ( my scanner is in storage) so drawings, sketches and photos are difficult. However I will attempt so drawings or sketches in the future.
if you're not bleeding you're not really working
Bobgorilla
Teardrop Dreamer

Postby The R/C Man » Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:43 am

I have set my TD up to be removable. Check out the link. http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=3041
The pictue shows how to attach the frame to the trailer for removal if need be..... I hope that helps....
Greg

Over time science has shown that the simplest answers are usually the correct ones.......
The R/C Man
Teardrop Master

Removable is fine

Postby Guy » Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:02 am

Dear Smart and bob,

There is nothing wrong with a dual purpose utility/tear, even one overhanging the frame.

Other than the bolt down factor, for which there are many easy solutions (see r/c's link above), there are some issues of frame placement, axle placement, and tongue length you are going to have to spend some time noodlin' over.

Typically a tear has more rear weight than front weight so the axle has to be placed further to the rear. A typical utility trailer has the weight centered so the axle has to be further front. Your plan to extend over the rear 18" would put about 2/3 of the total loaded weight on the rear member of the HF frame which may not be sufficient support.

A Teardrop axle placement will give you the tongue weight needed for towing a tear but then make your utility trailer tongue weight very heavy.

Overhanging the front of a HF trailer may not give you sufficient tongue length for either travelling stability or turning radius.

Remember tongue length and axle placement are the two most important SAFETY considerations in the building of any teardrop or utility trailer and they should not be compromised. So, that said, be careful, think hard and long.

Remember you have never wasted time reading this board. The only waste of time is thinking you know "exactly" what you are going to build before you start reading this board. :D
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

I'm overhangin to 68" width

Postby KZ76017 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:10 pm

I'm overhangin to 68" width. I began with a 46" width.
Take a look at the Teardrop Build Photo Journal link below.
Image #13 shows the width extensions I will be bolting the base to all six of these width extensions that I had welded to the frame.
KZ76017
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to General Discussion