Teardrop Side Awning Solution! (finally-pics)

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

test

Postby okiecamper » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:43 am

test picture
Bad Magic below:
[img][img]www.mikenchell.com/forums/posting.php?pic_id=51377[/img][/img][/url]

Good Magic here: Click on edit to see where you made your errors above, if you wish?
there are many storms in life that come our way
the trick is learning to "dance in the rain."

May the apple of your eye see only good
May God make smooth the path before you.
okiecamper
The 300 Club

Postby Oasis Maker » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:18 pm

green_eyed_diablito wrote:scott,
kudos on a very functional and very good-looking creation. that's just awesome!

but more important, congrats on beating the tumor. it makes me happy to know that someone out there survived such a devastating blow. i lost my brother one year and two weeks ago to a brain tumor. it was in the pons and worked its way down to C5, so there was no way to safely remove it. i was able to be by his side for many of his treatments and also when he died, and for that honor i am grateful. i miss my brother very much, but i am happy to know that no one has to deal with missing you.

keep up the good work and the good health.

-miguel

I am very moved by your sentiments and thank you kindly for such a personal expression. I can tell you that my awareness and appreciation for life and people has been forever changed since having gone through it. Not that I was like Scrooge before, but still I had an awakening to a much deeper place of living life, connecting with people, and trying to make a difference.

The level of love you had for your brother just overflows in your words. The fact that he died not "one year ago"- but, "one year and two weeks ago" is heart wrenching. You so poignantly demonstrate the value of just one day with life.

Again, I thank you for your well wish. God Bless.

Scott G.
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Oasis Maker » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:09 pm

Gaelen wrote:Scott--LiL Guy should look into offering that receiver sleeve mod as an option. The pics you just put up of the receiver sleeve mounts on each corner would be a brilliant extra addition that, if offered as a mfr option, would really enable some cool options for owners.

And when I get the SunSpot into the shop...what perfect addition to my frame. ;)

Well you can bet that Little Guy and other manufactures look in on this forum and take notes, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the side mounts put into production. It just too easy to do it and it makes too much sense. I used to keep in touch with the guys at Little Guy when I first got my tear but it fell off with the challenges I faced in the past year. It was really good when the company made a concerted effort to become a part of this forum though - so they'll get word of it.

Scott G.
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Teardrop Side Awning Solution! (finally-pics)

Postby Russ B » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:33 pm

Oasis Maker wrote:Image

It seems to me that a logical modification would be to put round tubing on the ends of the poles so that you could use the round Automobrella mounts rather than clamping onto the bars. Waddaya think?
Whoomah!
Russ B
Teardrop Builder

Postby razorback » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:35 pm

Cool ideas. I have a shade logic and have been toying with how to mount to my TD.
What if you welded a tube the same size as the autobrella tube to the bottom of the clamp for the shade logic. Drill a hole through each side of the tube for a pin. Then you could use a tube to fit through the autobrella tube and attach that to the tube welded to the clamp.
Does that make sense? That way the shade logic would not have an extension pole and could still be used on a picnic table if necessary.
Thanks to everyone for all the brilliant ideas.
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby fireaunt » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:46 pm

This doesn't look like a camel. HAHA This committee is generating wonderful variations to an awesome re-purpose. I always think of that saying -- a committee designed the camel - (or something like that). :thumbsup:
fireaunt
500 Club

Postby Oasis Maker » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:50 pm

fireaunt wrote:This doesn't look like a camel. HAHA This committee is generating wonderful variations to an awesome re-purpose. I always think of that saying -- a committee designed the camel - (or something like that). :thumbsup:

Absolutely! You can bet you will see an explosion of applications with this canopy in the future and I would not doubt that eventually you will see a knock-off design by one of the teardrop companies too. This set up addresses all of my needs for the unique challenges of shelter faced by us teardroppers. IT'S ONLY THE BEGINNING - SO KEEP IT COMING! But let me explain to you from having experience with both mounting applications why I opted to stay with the square Quick Clamp Canopy mount and not go through the Autombrella cylinder.

First, let's take a look at what we are inheriting with the Quick Clamp Canopy. We already have a sound design with hardware that is square in nature and meant to be mounted on a square flat surface. Pair that with a square surface on the Automobrella bar and it was just screaming to be screwed... on.
:oops: :lol:

But seriously, more than just shapes fitting shapes, the flat surface and beefy double clamp on the Canopy gives an almost motionless stability as compared to the Automobrella cylinder mount. There was always some play in the Automobrella cylinder mount that would actually rock the teardrop a bit as the umbrellas shifted from side to side or swirled in the wind (even with their screws tightened as much as possible). You are already inheriting a much beefier and very solidly designed clamping device with the Quick Clamp Canopy and I just think flat surfaces butt up to and clamp more stable than round, i.e. square hitches. (But again, I fully expect to see some awesome variations as this thing takes off.)

One biggie I encourage is to by all means KEEP YOUR SET UP SUSPENDED! The canopy becomes mobile with this set up, and as I have said, you don't want to loose that. The Autombrella poles, in contrast, run "through" the cylinder and rest on the ground and not always completely straight. The unevenness of the ground between the two ends wouldn't help either. (You know how most market umbrella's lean a little in their cylinder holder). But by having absolute symmetrical poles that off the ground with the Canopy, its design integrity stays intact and it's mobile too.

UPLIFT IS COMPLETELY ELIMINATED WITH THE FLAT CANOPY CLAMPS. Remember, you are making a potential kite as many of you know with shelters that have gone up up and away before. Well unless your teardrop is going up too, having flat clamps firmly mounted beneath a flat surface and anchored to your tear completely prevents that. Something else might break, but it won't go airborne. I lost an Automobrella before at a gathering in Cottonwood one year with super high winds. The winds pulled the umbrella straight up and stripped it through the tension screws in the cylinder. I later put a pipe clamp on to try and prevent that, but still, by comparison with all these things combined, I think the Quick Clamp was the logical and better choice. More importantly is the end result with it working flawlessly!

Okay, just some final tips to look out for however this path continues to evolve and whoever is on it:

1. You don't want to loose your ability to adjust this canopy up and down with your mods - very important. You can run one end a notch higher than the other to direct rainfall in the direction you want. (Very cool). I actually have a 2 notch difference between the two sides which puts the canopy perfectly even. Why? Because my receiver tubes are mounted at two different heights front to back. (Hey, I didn't see this thing coming 3 years ago). But no problem with the adjustable Canopy bars - it's all the same!

2. The Canopy Clamp BUTTS RIGHT UP TO the Automobrella cylinder assuring NO SLIDE. That's perfect. If you make an adjustable telescoping bar yourself, weld a lip on the end to create the same stoppage.

3. Obviously metal aint porous and I am clamping metal unto metal. I have since taken and cut a bike inner tube and rapped it around the portion of the bar under the Clamp screws so they will be that much more secure. It worked beautifully in strong Santa Ana winds without doing that, but it's an even better grip for the clamps now.

4. I agree with Larry. By all means, DO preserve the use of this Canopy's original design so that you can still use it on a picnic table, bleachers etc - and you will. If you opt to extend the Clamp poles (vs. the long poles like I did) the Canopy can still be lowered to it's original lowest setting on a picnic table. If I were to attach my canopy to a picnic table now, it would be 14 inches higher because I extended the long poles instead. Not earth shattering, but something to look out for.

5. Lastly, you can remove the top caps on the Clamp screws with a simple allen wrench. I am going to see if I can locate some with a little bigger diameter, increasing the surface area that much more.

Keep the creativity coming so that this thread can be blueprint to help others down the line and post your pics too! But I can tell you right now already - I got it made in the shade and glad to help!! 8)

Scott G.
Last edited by Oasis Maker on Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby fireaunt » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:29 pm

You have a really nice rig. I have been admiring the rack over your Jeep spare - hmmm...I'm wondering how it's mounted and could it be adapted to your receivers on the tear? :thinking:
fireaunt
500 Club

Postby Oasis Maker » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:36 pm

hiker chick wrote:That is brilliant and an excellent presentation, thanks very much.

I'd recently begun thinking about that canopy for the space between my Element and the teardrop, which is where I tend to live at camp.

Hmmm.... happen to have my Visa by my side....

:thumbsup: :applause: [/img]

Hey hiker chick. With our Little Guy 6-wide racks, you could easily clamp this canopy right onto it with a piece of 2x4 wood in the corners of the rack underneath the clamps. You would obviously have the canopy going in a perpendicular setup though. The width of the extension poles when spread out and locked are exactly 90 inches tip to tip. So you would have 45 inches of canopy width in each direction - going over the tear and towards the back of the Element (but unsure if it would cover the distance over the Element to not have a gap). Only other thing would be how high your rear door is when opened. To allow clearing for that, just extend the poles up accordingly with a weld if needed. You wouldn't have a "side awning", but you can bet your entire platform will be covered and then some.

Scott G.
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Oasis Maker » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:41 pm

Actually hiker chick, I think it's a shoe-in. The way your box is tapered and mounted in the center of the rack, you have the ends free for the Canopy's Quick Clamps to mount to. The piece of 2x4 wood would fill in the lip of the rack for the top of the clamp to tighten on. And it's only a 35 inch distance from the "front" of our racks to the hitch, coupled with how the Elements doors open - you're sitting pretty for complete coverage and a lot more. Slide the crossmembers all the way left or right for maximum hang over on one side, and you can have a grill, table, etc. -you're on your way. The only thing would be clearing the height of the Elements rear door which looks a little higher than the tear (but you could always tether the door a bit so it's not opened so high too). Then you're only a weld away from rockin. What do ya think? Keep me (us) informed of your progress.

Scott G.

Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Russ B » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:44 pm

Oasis Maker wrote:But let me explain to you from having experience with both mounting applications why I opted to stay with the square Quick Clamp Canopy mount and not go through the Autombrella cylinder.

[...]

But seriously, more than just shapes fitting shapes, the flat surface and beefy double clamp on the Canopy gives an almost motionless stability as compared to the Automobrella cylinder mount.

One biggie I encourage is to by all means KEEP YOUR SET UP SUSPENDED! The canopy becomes mobile with this set up, and as I have said, you don't want to loose that.

[...]

Excellent points! Thanks for the elaboration on your thought process. :)
Whoomah!
Russ B
Teardrop Builder

Postby hiker chick » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:56 am

Hi, Scott --

Yes, I plan on using treated wood such as I put under the tongue box. Do you think I need to bolt those pieces to the platform? Or just sit them there when putting up the canopy?

I may use both this canopy and the Kirkham's auto canopy off the back of the Element. The gap and the teardrop doors and vent would then be covered. Not sure if it would be smart to leave it all up in a storm, though.

The canopy arrived arrived earlier this week. Will be camping in the next couple weeks so photos will be forthcoming.

Thanks for the brainstorm!

:)
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Oasis Maker » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:05 pm

hiker chick wrote:Hi, Scott --

Yes, I plan on using treated wood such as I put under the tongue box. Do you think I need to bolt those pieces to the platform? Or just sit them there when putting up the canopy?

I may use both this canopy and the Kirkham's auto canopy off the back of the Element. The gap and the teardrop doors and vent would then be covered. Not sure if it would be smart to leave it all up in a storm, though.

The canopy arrived arrived earlier this week. Will be camping in the next couple weeks so photos will be forthcoming.

Thanks for the brainstorm!

:)

Hi Hiker Chick, glad to help. It'll be fun watching your beautiful photography once again capture the ever evolving world of your 6-wide adventures with Gidget!

Ney, I wouldn't permanently mount those wood blocks to your rack - no need. Plus you'll have the rack space if you need it. Use two pieces of wood a side - 2 inches high x 6 1/2 inches long. Take the two pieces and straddle the metal tie down ring on our racks. It's important to have at least an 1/8-1/4 inch clearance above the lip of the rack. That way the (flat) top of the Canopy Clamp will have something to compress down on when you tighten. And with the metal ring beneath the level of the wood and out of the way, you can freely slide the clamps wherever you want to position them on the rack.

You got lucky with our rack from underneath too. The metal screws that tighten from the bottom touch perfectly onto the solid metal band bordering the mesh on our racks. I wouldn't trust those clamps at all tightening down on the mesh part of our racks. So you're good to go!

Scott G.
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Oasis Maker » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:15 pm

Oh, and don't forget to cut a little piece of old bike inner tube and place under the clamps screws to buffer the metal on metal. Not necessary, but it makes for an even better grip with the clamps.

Scott G.
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

canopy sale

Postby louis Lachance » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:19 pm

shelter logic canopy from Nortern Tool $69.00 + shipping!!! :thumbsup:
louis Lachance
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion