Teardrop Side Awning Solution! (finally-pics)

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby razorback » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:59 am

Nathan
I really like your application of the shelter logic unit. May try to add your type of tubes to the existing tubes I have so I can eliminate the clamps that come with the shelter logic. Are you going to be at Table rock the end of April?
larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Nathan N » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:32 am

Larry - no, we have another commitment that weekend. I would love to attend (and heckle Jeanne).

I would be happy to try and answer any questions you have.

Cowboy - I have searched around and "slotted tube" is the correct term. Imco in Ft. Wayne, IN sells some under the National Manufacturing brand. They sell through distributors which are usually local hardware stores. In Lowes they are "steelworks" brand.

When I started to open the box I was surprised at the weight, which turned out to be mainly the clamp assemblies. By replacing their function I don't have to pack the clamps around.

I would like to know about 12 VDC rope lights amp draw as well. I haven't worried about that yet, have to finish the cargo first.
Nathan N
Lifetime member

Postby Oasis Maker » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:44 am

Wow - I've been out of town for a bit and have not seen this, so first things first...

:applause: :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:

Can't wait to read more about your application!
Scott G.

Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Oasis Maker » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:23 am

Nathan, that's a fantastic application and your Lowe's find is like gold! I used what I already had inherited with the mounting brackets that came with my AutoUmbrella's, and although it's rock solid, no doubt it is also heavy.

Your idea opens up a new and simple modification that I will certainly explore. As Slowcowboy said, it will be nice to do away with the canopy clamps, and for me, my AutoUmbrella poles. My current set up is rock solid in very high winds, and with the wood block under the clamps, the unit tightens securely as it would on the underside of a picnic table... but I think it is a bit overkill.

I've pulled up the Lowe's page for the brackets you are using. Did you do the angle welds yourself? Because I can barely see your weld lines if you did... well done. I'll check back later.

Scott G.
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Nathan N » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:39 am

Oasis Maker wrote:Nathan, that's a fantastic application and your Lowe's find is like gold! I used what I already had inherited with the mounting brackets that came with my AutoUmbrella's, and although it's rock solid, no doubt it is also heavy.

Your idea opens up a new and simple modification that I will certainly explore. As Slowcowboy said, it will be nice to do away with the canopy clamps, and for me, my AutoUmbrella poles. My current set up is rock solid in very high winds, and with the wood block under the clamps, the unit tightens securely as it would on the underside of a picnic table... but I think it is a bit overkill.

I've pulled up the Lowe's page for the brackets you are using. Did you do the angle welds yourself? Because I can barely see your weld lines if you did... well done. I'll check back later.

Scott G.

Thanks Scott.
Yes, I did the welding (the "receivers" under the frame aren't quite as purty but they are strong").

After one outing (and packing them) I would probably make some changes.

1 - 36" piece of 1 1/4" slotted tube was chopped into 4 pieces. 2 - 12" pieces for the vertical upright to receive the original awning pole. 2 - 6" pieces for the frame receivers.

3 - 36" pieces on 1" slotted tube. 2 full 36" pieces I cut a 45 degree angle on both ends. 1 - 36" piece I cut into 2 18" piece to make the horizontal that slides into the frame receivers ( 6" long 1 1/2" pieces mentioned above.

I kept the bottom of the 12" vertical pieces clear so one could slide the original support all the way through if desired. So I welded one 45 degree cut end to the side of the 12" vertical piece. I did pretty much the same on the other end for the horizontal mounting bracket.

Observations:
I don't need the full 18" horizontal pieces to mount to frame receivers. I will be chopping them down at least 6" and perhaps more. I don't see a need to have the awning pushed out away from side of trailer. Removing some length would make it a bit lighter but more importantly easier to pack.

Edited to make things more concise.

I would modify my current setup so each end's bracket would have three different pieces that would pin together to assemble. This would require purchasing another section of 1 1/4" slotted tube.

This would break down into much smaller package that would fit into the factory bag and make packing so much easier. With the cargo conversion we can nest the current setup up under the galley and back bench. If we were in the teardrop the only place would be to throw them on the bed.

Here's a quick sketch:
The 1" piece labeled optional would not have to be slotted tube - it could be solid tube with appropriate holes drilled in either end. It would be cheaper option than the slotted tube.

Edited 20100425 to correct size of larger tube. It is 1 1/4" NOT 1 1/2"
Last edited by Nathan N on Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan N
Lifetime member

Postby Nathan N » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:57 am

Folks I feel like a dummy. Our local Menards just opened and I was wandering around checking things out. I found they also handle the SteelWorks (out of Denver, CO). Menards had all three sizes of the slotted tube, but I had used the two smaller sizes. I took photos and when cropping them realized I had been wrong on the large size tube I used. It is 1 1/4" instead of 1 1/2". :?

I'm sorry if I fouled somebody up with that mistake. I went back and corrected my earlier posts.
Nathan N
Lifetime member

Postby Oasis Maker » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:39 pm

Hey Nathan, just curious as to why not one 90 degree weld vs. two 45's? Was strength a concern or aesthetics?

Scott G.
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Nathan N » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:06 pm

Oasis Maker wrote:Hey Nathan, just curious as to why not one 90 degree weld vs. two 45's? Was strength a concern or aesthetics?

Scott G.

I figured it would be less material with 45's.

You could do one 90 degree (and make it pinnable and foldable :roll: ) if you wanted. If the upright was the 1 1/4" you could have a 1" piece slip up inside that could be let down to support against the ground if desired.

These perforated/slotted tubes really open up the possibilities.
Nathan N
Lifetime member

Postby WarPony » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:00 pm

Nathan N wrote:Image

After seeing Nathan's setup last weekend, we are going to jump on this and modify a Shelter Logic to go on our Widget. The First Up shelter we have now is great but with two dogs the tie out cords we have to leash them on are CONSTANTLY getting wrapped around the legs..... :x

This will take care of that problem............

Jeff
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:26 pm

Slowcowboy, I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Wind is a very powerful force. Nothing can stand up to a strong enough blast, certainly nothing made of fabric. I have seen more than one EZ-Up type structure sail clear across a campground, and end up a tangled mess when it landed.

I don't put mine up when there is a wind. It's just not worth the risk.
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Oasis Maker » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:03 am

(Repeat response from your other thread.)

Been away and just now seeing this. Sorry for your misfortune Slowcowboy. All I can tell you is that has not been my experience with the ShelterLogic. I am still very pleased with it and it's been used heavily for over a couple of years now in very windy situations. There were also a lot of favorable reviews online as well. So people write what they experience - as you have now done.

I do camp regularly where there are strong Santa Ana winds as well as right off the ocean where again there are heavy winds, and have had no problems (while other shelters in the campground did). I have no way of knowing "exactly" what happened in your situation.

One thing that I have to look out for in setting this up is to double check that the tension (tent-like) support poles are actually inside each other. In setting up, I almost always pull them partially apart so they are not fully inserted inside each other and it can go unnoticed. That would certainly cause a catastrophic failure.

Whatever the cause, you had a bad experience and good luck with your next canopy.

Scott
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Nathan N » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:25 am

I'm bringing discussion of my rain issue back into this thread from Slowcowboy's shelter taco thread.

Nathan N wrote:Slowcowboy,

You sure do have the worst luck. I've not camped in Colorado enduring a freak wind gusts, experienced any strong Santa Ana winds, or never have had the pleasure of ocean front winds with our setup.

In my experience I figured it was rather secure against winds. I mean as compared to an first-up type shelter. If the mounts are solid the nylon would flap but I would never have bet on the total destruction you are describing.

We did experience an issue with heavy rains at Spring Mill in Indiana last May. Here is a photo from Saturday morning - I almost didn't get the door open. I apologize for the poor photo as it was rather early and it is from my phone.

This just shows one side but both sides held about an equal amount of water. I would guess about five gallons on each side of the main support pole. That is a lot of weight. You can see the rods are bowed downward due to the weight. They never disintegrated nor did the plastic bits fly all apart.

I haven't come up with a solution to this problem yet - perhaps some fiberglass poles to get an arch upwards so the rain would drain over the horizontal rails.

One difference may be that on our trailer the supports are right at the ends of the shelter - 10 foot trailer with the supports about 4 inches from the ends.

Just the darnedest luck I tell you!

Nathan

Oasis Maker wrote:Image

Wow Nathan, that sucks... (no pun intended). We have a different set up, but I control the rain by just dropping the one side lower into the wind. I've only been in a few downpours, but with the canopy tilted down into the wind, it's impossible to collect water.

It looks like your canopy runs flush, almost resting on the top and full length of your trailer. I can see how water would collect like that. Do you have any more play in your brackets to raise one side higher?

Scott

I have some adjustment vertically where the white factory vertical supports enter the vertical slotted tubes. I would guess about 8 inches. I tried that but it wasn't enough to shed the water. I can raise the shelter up higher off the trailer roof.

During the day I tried stretching some bungee cords from the top center pole out to the outside edge poles under the nylon to hopefully better support it. What it ended up doing was slightly bowing in the support rails and that just allowed more rain to collect.

So I thought one possibility would be some 1/2 pvc pipes with tees at the ends that would provide extra support and help tension the nylon as they would be placed between my vertical supports. This wouldn't provide any arch though.

I then thought of trying to come up with something with the fiberglass poles like Doug Hodder does with his awnings.

I just haven't experimented with it at this point.

Thanks,
Nathan
Nathan N
Lifetime member

Postby Nosty » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:32 pm

That's just cool, Scott. Great idea. Very happy to hear you mention "successful" surgery. Glad you're on the mend.

Thanks for sharing. I have a feeling you'll be seeing a lot of your idea in use very soon.

:twisted:

Brian
"I'm not talking to myself; I'm conversing with one of the myriad of voices in my head!"

View my build blog: http://www.briangreenleaf.wordpress.com
Visit my website:
http://www.bgreenleaf.com
Nosty
Gold Donating Member

awning

Postby 1happy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:53 am

:thumbsup: I like it. Looks like it works great :thumbsup:
Neil
1happy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Nathan N » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:46 am

slowcowboy wrote:It flops around a lot on the brakets nathon recomened. and I DID have it all straped down with bungee cords to my roof rack.

Slowcowboy.

After I modified my brackets I made a different set of top vertical brackets to hold umbrellas. The top rail of a chain link fence was the perfect size for the vertical pieces. Only when I put them up did I notice the play in the brackets. I solved that by laying a bead of weld on each of the sides along the top of the horizontal brackets that slide into the "receivers".

I never noticed the play with the shelterlogic as I would have it setup with some tension between the vertical poles.

Nathan
Nathan N
Lifetime member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion