Teardrop Side Awning Solution! (finally-pics)

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby Larwyn » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:14 am

slowcowboy wrote:Don't worry about my shelter logic. Next time after this I will just pack some baling wire with me. A true cowboy should never leave home with out baling wire even when camping. Heeeee! just kidding. Slowcowboy.

Bailing wire (hay wire to me), is the original duct tape. I actually do carry a coil of tie wire in the tool box on my truck all the time, and I am not afraid to use it. The farm that I grew up on was mostly held together with hay wire and raw hide.............. :lol: :lol:
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:36 am

Heck, I've never lived on a farm (but I did buck oat hay a couple summers as a teenager), and I carry a coil of baling wire in my bag too! :thumbsup:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Dan & Julie CO » Mon May 30, 2011 5:27 pm

Dan & Julie CO
The 300 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon May 30, 2011 9:21 pm

This morning I attached the awning rail on three sides of Compass Rose and this afternoon I started modifying the Kelty car tarp that will be one of the side tarps. These need to have rope sewn into the end to go into the Kedar rail.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Re: Teardrop Side Awning Solution! (finally-pics)

Postby travelbuddy » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:25 am

What an incredibly creative and useful idea! :thumbsup: We just ordered our SS teardrop and it hasn't been delivered yet, but we've been researching ways to get some shelter without the hassle of guy lines and spending a lot of time in setup. We don't need a screen room, we don't want the hassle of an EZ up tent, but we do have these criteria:

1) We'd like rain shelter over the galley, over the doors, and maybe over the vent fan at night if it rains.
2) Set up time should be 15 minutes or less.....that's why we bought the teardrop in the first place.
3) We want to keep our view - that's why we are out in the woods.
4) We want to use the galley without having to take down the shelter.

I'm worried that our galley door when raised is too high for the shelterlogic solution??? The platform model galley door doesn't seem to go as high as the SS when raised. That's a question we'll ask golittleguy. But what do you think of this slight adjustment?

Instead of welding receiving tubes on the far corners, we would weld one receiving tube next to each door (near the hinged side). Instead of using the shelterlogic we'd buy two automobrellas. We could put them on both sides to cover the doors and the vent fan or we could move one to the back to cover the galley.

All we'd have to do is weld the receiving tubes to the frame and buy two umbrellas and we'd be good to go. Do you see any potential problems with this setup? I like the shelterlogic solution better from an esthetic standpoint, but that doesn't give us galley rain protection, two-door rain protection, and it might not be high enough for the galley door to be open.
travelbuddy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby travelbuddy » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:53 am

Slowcowboy, do you think the umbrella idea (instead of shelter logic) would work better? Would it work with the galley door raised? I know golittleguy sells the umbrella on their website. Hopefully it is more stable - both because of its shape and because the support pole goes all the way to the ground.
travelbuddy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pawp » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:33 pm

Here's mine no posts or ropes. 4'X8'
Attachments
SDC11885.JPG
SDC11885.JPG (142.09 KiB) Viewed 853 times
pawp
Teardrop Builder

Postby indycamper » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:07 pm

pawp wrote:Here's mine no posts or ropes. 4'X8'

How in the world does it attach? I'm looking for something that will not trip me up, and that looks great! Would LOVE to have something like it!
Sharon

I really need to re-retire one of these days.
indycamper
Teardrop Master

Postby pawp » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:37 am

Attatchment: There are two steel brackets that bolt into threaded inserts into the frame. The brackets are interchangeable from left to right sides. Each bracket is secured by 4 phillips machine screws. So far, moderate wind doesn't seem to bother it. The bent sections of the spars are 1/2" conduit, the rest are light weight bamboo. It installs in about 5 minutes,
pawp
Teardrop Builder

Postby Photoman33770 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:35 am

Just a thought. I would put a large grommet at each corner so if winds picked up to be scary, you could run a line through each corner and anchor it so wind could not lift it. Good days and no lines. How about close ups of the anchors in the roof. and the connections.
Photoman33770
Teardrop Builder

Postby pawp » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:08 pm

Here are the brackets. BTW I am set up with poles and guy wires for high wind , just haven't needed them yet. The only problem I have now is that it sags between spars. I am working on a snap system that may solve the problem.
Attachments
SDC11889.JPG
SDC11889.JPG (141.29 KiB) Viewed 770 times
SDC11890.JPG
SDC11890.JPG (150.82 KiB) Viewed 770 times
pawp
Teardrop Builder

Postby Junkboy999 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:36 am

I like it.

But what if you had it set up and take a little walk, and the wings came up before you can get it
down. If it blew backwards would it mess up the side and top covering.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion