Teardrop's maiden voyage

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Teardrop's maiden voyage

Postby Georgeandpat » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:28 am

My Cubby made it's debut this weekend. My sister and her husband took it to Oceanside even though the inside still has much work to do. They had a near disasterous start as the ball hitch did not get pinned properly and slipped out (thank God for safety chains). I still can't believe we overlooked that "minor' detail. :oops:
The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful. They had a little rain but no leaks! The trailer handled good and took bumps pretty well after being loaded down (the empty weight is about 700#). I built the Cubby walls staying pretty faithful to the plans and my sister reported the temperature inside the Cubby was quite comfortable at night.
The teardrop received compliments from everywhere they went although one woman said that she couldn't sleep in such a small space. All in all a pretty successful first trip! George.
Georgeandpat
Teardrop Master

Postby exminnesotaboy » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:33 am

glad everything was OK with the hitch issue.

Congratulations on the maiden voyage!
exminnesotaboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Georgeandpat » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:05 pm

Thanks Tony, BTW, it looks like your trailer is coming along well. I can see that you are a very neat builder. What kind of counter top are you using back there? George.
Georgeandpat
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:20 pm

We had our first campout in the Lil Diner this weekend too... It rained cats and dogs...

But even without any appliances, this is one comfortable teardrop!!! :D

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby exminnesotaboy » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:03 pm

Georgeandpat wrote:Thanks Tony, BTW, it looks like your trailer is coming along well. I can see that you are a very neat builder. What kind of counter top are you using back there? George.

thanks! neat = too anal retentive as all my friends say :)

the counter top is a builders surplus store scrap piece = i think I paid 10$ for it. Just regular, nothing special - but should work out fine

btw, thanks for the detailed pics and the descriptions on how trimmed out your doors - I will be using that info soon
exminnesotaboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Arne » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:17 pm

Mike, that is sure one attention getter...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Paul » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:13 pm

George, I'm glad your Cubby didn't suffer a disaster there. I like the Cubby but am hoping to build something slightly larger. (I figure my wife is only going to let me build one!)

Mike, the Lil Diner turned out nice 8) I also really like Steve's strip teardrop. I don't know anything about fiberglassing and don't think I would have the patience to fit all those strips together. I like the way that hatch design looks. How wide is the section you cut from the side to become part of the hatch? I'm thinking that when I build mine I'll paint it white and cover the lower front section with aluminum to help protect it from rocks. Does that seem reasonable? I'm going to have to get off here now so I can clean the drool off my keyboard after looking at everyone else's works of art.

Paul Cook
Paul
Teardrop Builder

Postby Arne » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:09 am

Paul, best not to throw rocks at it in the first place.....

Second, if you are pulling with a car, or truck with decent mud guards, rocks are not a problem.

A personal gripe of mine is that trucks and SUVs do not have to have mud guards to begin with.... They tend to sit high and those big tires kick up a lot of road debris so cars following can drive right into it. I try to change lanes when one of those 'things' pulls in front of me to avoid all the little dings in my windshield. Judging from the way my windshield looks when I drive into a setting sun, I've only been mildly successful.....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Return to General Discussion