Mattress questions

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby 2bits » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:14 am

Get the king size mattress and build it around that I built mine around a queen size mattress. Don't be thinking about putting it in and out though. Put it in there and leave it there. you can get it in as long and the door is big enough and nothing beats a home style inner spring mattress. I just put my full size inner sprint mattress in my teardrop. I know I modeled it around a queen but I just replaced my home mattress and I still had the decent full size around. Just shove it in there...

I think there would be NO claustrophobic issues with a teardrop that big, mine feels huge. ALOT of people say that who have never actually been in one. like what was said you guys need to go to a teardrop gathering and actually sit in one. Totally different world. :thumbsup:
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:14 am

There are mattresses that fold, Sleep Comfort/air, foam. I would not want to have to leave a wet mattress or one that has failed or try and build with it in there, or you need to work on the floor or...
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby alffink » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:06 pm

One TearDrop that most of the old timers may remember is the
Outback teardrop, built by Larry Sorrenson, several years back now.
this was built to be a tank, for true off-road use, Larry and Diane sp? sorry
are ture off-roaders exploring the back corners of the Mojave desert....anyway Lary is a big guy and didn't want to crawl around the inside of the tear doing details so he didn't even put the floor in until right at the end of his build, so he could stand on the ground while working inside the tear, so when the floor slid in through the galley the mattress followed, then he installed the lower bulhead and the faceframe and lower cabinets.

Very interesting build, took a lot of planning, but it all went together and can come apart againg as needed.

Excellent buid site at http://www.outbackteardrop.com/

Oh, it was Larry that first got me into this madness.
Don't know if I love him or hate him , guess it depends if I'm camping or spending more $$$$$

8)
alffink
Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:12 pm

Yeah, I remember either that one or another where the under-counter of the galley was removable for pulling out the bed awesome idea!

I think if my mattress has failed, I will be coming out one way or another, and I definitely wouldn't build the teardrop physically around it, I hope I didn't give that impression, I just put mine in last week. I only put mine in after I knew the sawdust was done. I built around the dimensions of a queen size bed.

;)

A wet mattress? Yeah that could be a problem but what are we talking about wet feet? A kid's oopsy? Condensation underneath? Stilts could work, I dunno, I think it is worth it to me to have a "real" mattress. I've heard great things about memory foam, although I didn't care for the feel of it personally.

I can get my mattress in and out no problem, I just know it's not a task I wish to embark upon on each camping trip is what I meant. It took me a few min of wrangling, but I didn't bend anything permanently doing it and it took about 10 min by myself, about 2 min if I had a friend.

I hope this helps.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby 1912 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:30 am

I have a CampInn that has a queen size mattress. I didn't like the one that came in it, but after considerable research, found a part foam, part memory foam one that is very comfortable and only 4" thick. I use regular queen size sheets. We find the queen size very nice, as that is also the size we use at home. I vote for memory foam.
Mark

CampInn #214
Subaru Forester
Eddyline kayaks
Specialized bicycles

\^/
/_\
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 07rascal » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:02 pm

How about two twins side by side? 39" x 2 = 78" wide. Thats going to be a wide tear, however. If there was an access door/panel full width in the lower part of the galley, that would give you access to remove the mattress whether it be full width or the two twins. Just a random thought.... :thinking:
Terry & Lisa
--------------------------------
From our LG Rascal to the Cabin-A.....The LG found a good home!

"When employed, live like your unemployed....so that when your unemployed you can live like your employed!!"

07rascal
Teardrop Master

Postby BillandMarijo » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:41 pm

I am a little claustrophobic. My husband built our Teardrop so we could have a queen size Memory foam matress and did the interior in white glassboard so it does seem larger and very bright. Also the doors w/ windows on both sides makes it very bright.
Good luck on your build.
Marijo and Bill :peace:
Hope to see you on the road.
Bill and Marijo

Also We Are On Facebook
Friend Us.
Bill Peterman
Marijo Haselbarth Peterman
BillandMarijo
500 Club

Postby Deb » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:27 pm

My husband and I are both "plus sized" people. We sleep in a king at home. In our teardrop we have a queen sized mattress, which is a queen sized futon mattress from IKEA. That allows us to fold it in 1/2 and get it in and out easily. We also got a 1 inch memory foam topper at Overstock.com VERY comfy and plenty of room. :thumbsup:
Deb
Teardrop Builder

Postby nevadatear » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:50 pm

me being of the wife/alien persusaian, have no problem with a queen, as does my husband. On the otherhand, when we sleep in a king at hotels and such, I don't really like it, too big, where is my husband? Can imagine a king in a tear.

as for matteress, we have a 6" with memory foam from walmart, less than $200, love it, better than my $2000 house one. considering replacing the house one with one like it. Folds up, rolls up, easy to get in and out of the door.

Debbie
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion