Height issue's

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Height issue's

Postby mikey_0199 » Sun May 22, 2005 1:01 am

Hello ,
I am considering this a great option love camping but sleeping on ground is not always fun. Also a teardrop would be great for road trips. My BIG concern is my height at 6'3 my feet hang off a king size bed. Anyone in the same boat ?

Mikey in AZ ;)
mikey_0199
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Height issue's

Postby Joseph » Sun May 22, 2005 2:28 am

Hey Mikey,
mikey_0199 wrote:My BIG concern is my height at 6'3 my feet hang off a king size bed. Anyone in the same boat?

No, but that's one of the many joys of teardrops: you make them to your specifications. You could even build yourself a four by eight, you'd just have to make the bottom portion of your galley about a foot shallower than average.

Regards,

Joseph Ruckman
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Re: Height issue's

Postby Salivanto » Sun May 22, 2005 6:32 am

mikey_0199 wrote:My BIG concern is my height at 6'3 my feet hang off a king size bed. Anyone in the same boat ?

Hey Shorty,

It was my height which got me thinking about teardrops in the first place. At 6'6" there's hardly a comercial trailer avalable which I can stand up in, and I found myself thinking "wouldn't it be nice if the kitchen were accessable through a hatch in the side of one of these?"

My teardrop still looks much like it does there in my avatar -- in the "wishful thinking phase" but just the other day I got to check out the handywork of another list member - Courtney - who had built a teardrop starting with the Cubby plans. Her "camping partner" is somewhat taller than she is (but everybody looks short to me) so she came up with an extended length for him. (If you look in the hall of fame for the picture of her camping partner holding up the galley hatch, you can see that part of the back wall of the galley extends forward toward the rear bumper more than the other -- that's the extended part.) I laid down in there with little problem. If I were building it for myself, I might extend it a little bit more, since my heels and crown were touching at both ends, but there was still room, even within the 4x8 confines of the Cubby to do that.

Keep in mind also that most beds -- even a king sized bed -- are the same lenght -- 80". I was going to make mine 85" for good luck, although in a pinch, I'd be happy sleeping in an 80" cabin compared to a 72" cot (with my feet hanging over and the bar pressing in on my shins.)
Amike salutas,
Thomas ALEXANDER
www.NightinGael.Net
Salivanto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Sun May 22, 2005 7:19 am

Like Joseph said. Build it to suit. My 10 ft in the avatar could have had a seven to 10 ft interior length instead of the 6 ft 5 in..
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby IraRat » Sun May 22, 2005 8:53 am

Don't kill me, but…

At 5' 2'' and 5' (me and wife respectively), we can follow the Cubby plans for cabin length without alteration.

Come to think of it, I can make that galley LONGER!
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby Guest » Sun May 22, 2005 9:09 am

Mikey,
Talk with Nick Taylor, he's a tall guy.

Postby dmb90260 » Sun May 22, 2005 9:27 am

I am 6'4' (or used to be) and have no problem fitting comfortably in/on the queen sized bed in my tear. My mattress is split and I use only half of it with a sleeping bag. Th dogs use the rest of the space but when it is very cold they migrate to my section and a two-dog night.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Nick Taylor » Sun May 22, 2005 1:36 pm

Yup, I'm 6'5" and I used to have a 4x8 1955 Benroy that was just too small for me to be comfortable sleeping. The bed was only 6 feet long.

I now have a 1947 Ken-Skill which is 4 feet wide and 9 1/2 feet long. The bed is 6'4" long and It is great.

Nick.
Nick Taylor
The 300 Club

Return to General Discussion