Getting ready to order plans

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Getting ready to order plans

Postby Brad Lustig » Wed May 25, 2005 3:53 pm

I'm getting ready to order KC Cubby plans. Anyone (besides Irarat ;) ) have any suggestions? How did you order yours if you have the same plans? Ebook, CD, or paper? I'll probably just download the ebook. Just want to make sure I'm making the right decision. For the record, yes I know 4' is too small :D
Brad Lustig
Teardrop Master

Postby toypusher » Wed May 25, 2005 4:02 pm

I have the Cubby plans and have started the project (It's on hold right now). If you have some basic woodworking skills, I believe that the Cubby plans are great. There are some problems with them, but just do a search on this board and you should find out what they are and how to correct them. As with any plans (IMHO) they are really just a guide and you can modify them easily. And I believe that the folks on this board will help you anytime that you need it.

Best of Luck

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Re: Getting ready to order plans

Postby davidbyrum » Wed May 25, 2005 6:41 pm

Brad Lustig wrote:How did you order yours if you have the same plans? Ebook, CD, or paper? I'll probably just download the ebook. Just want to make sure I'm making the right decision. :D

Hi Brad, I ordered the Kuffel Creek Cubby plans as an Ebook (it's a pdf file of the printed book). After downloading I just printed it out and put it in a notebook with no problems. If you have access to a printer and don't mind printing about a 130 pages, that's the way to go, it saves a few $. :D
Photos of my build at:

http://davidbyrum.blogspot.com
davidbyrum
Teardrop Inspector

Postby IraRat » Thu May 26, 2005 8:15 am

I did the ebook too.

Just make sure you ignore page 13. (You don't want to make a right angle square rig out of a piece of plywood first. When you cut your sides, that scrap lumber serves this purpose.)

Also, if you're using a Harbor Freight trailer as used in the plans, ignore the order of the steps to modify the trailer. They tell you to do things in the wrong order, and you'll wind up drilling a million extra, unnecessary holes. (I have a "rant" post about this here in the forums.)

Ignore the materials lists they tell you to buy NOW. You can buy things as you need them.

Don't be scared by the equipment list. I'm getting away with a lot less. (So far.)

Enjoy the preaching on page 107. I myself laughed my a** off!!!

GOOD LUCK, AND ENJOY THE PROJECT!

P.S. Oh, most references in the text to page numbers (example: "See materials list on page 86") are wrong. They're off by one page.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Ordering Plans

Postby Toolie » Thu May 26, 2005 2:01 pm

I chose to write a check and order the CD. I'm getting a little nervous about using my credit card on line these days.
Toolie
Slowest Teardrop Builder WANNABE

Postby Geron » Thu May 26, 2005 3:47 pm

I ordered the e-book, printed out the plans and put it in a large comb binder. I simply did not have any of the problems Irarat has ranted about. I sympathize with him and would agree with him to buy a lot of the stuff as you go along. Some items you will substitute due to availability or unavailability and some you wont need if you alter the plans. Some things it's really good to have in advance are the windows, lights, fenders, vent, edge trim, door trim/hinges/hardware. It's just good to have the stuff there to measure and prefit rather than :cry: when they do arrive. I'd order the soft aluminum trim from a TD supplier. It's not worth the difference in cost to struggle with the T5 Home Depot aluminum and annealing. The soft trim is SOOOO. . . easy.

JMTC

Geron
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Fri May 27, 2005 1:04 am

I have the KC plans as well. I think its an excellent starting point. You'll probably spend about 3 or 4 weeks fanatically reading the plans and looking up topics in the forum. Then you'll see a picture of someone's trailer that you think is really neat and incorporate some of their features. As you build the trailer, you'll end up designing your own using the KC plans as a guide rather than a rule. That's the fun part. Here's a picture of my Cubby:
Not even close to the plans, I changed just about everything, but I'm sure glad I got the KC plans. BTW, its not as hard as you think, just just plan on it taking twice as long as you think it will right now. :lol:
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Brad Lustig » Fri May 27, 2005 3:08 pm

That's a Cubby? Wow! You're right, that doesn't look like a Cubby. Looks great though. Yeah, I'm planning on using the plans as a guideline. Thanks for the suggestions and help everyone. :applause:
Brad Lustig
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion