First Trip with the Tin Roof Woody

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

First Trip with the Tin Roof Woody

Postby Joseph » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:35 am

Hi all,

I'm writing from the research center at Greenfield Village where I was very pleased to meet Rhonda & her beautiful Benroy yesterday. I don't have time to read all the messages so if Rhonda beats me to this, here it is again. Mike, you wanted to know what mine finally weighed - fully loaded but without water, 620 lbs. I'll only carry maybe five gallons in the tank when I do finally fill it, so add forty to that.

Anyway, she towed like a dream - I was a bit concerned about the bearings due to discussions on Pam's board and when I checked them after about thirty miles, they were a bit warm but not alarmingly so. A hundred miles later I checked them again and they had actually cooled off a bit - guess it was a sort of break-in period. Anyway, camped on Lake Erie Saturday night at East Harbor State Park in Ohio - first stay in a regular campground in about thirty years! Now she's parked in "Camp Asphalt" (which I'm told is pronounced "ash-phault" up here), a corner of the staff parking lot with a fence on two sides, since the place they had planned for the campers is flooded out. It's really not bad, though two big citronella candles don't make much of a campfire. :lol: OTOH, there are NO bugs - unlike Lake Erie, where the mayflies covered EVERYTHING!

More to follow when I get back next weekend.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby OurStuff4You » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:45 am

You beat me to it Joseph! It was great meeting you too and I wish I was going to be there to hear your presentation. We had a wonderful weekend with our tear in the Village. The nice thing about the village is if you're part of an event like this they let you camp right on the grounds - even leaving open their bathroom facilities for the campers. What a cool opportunity. We blew it tho and should have taken a picture of the two of us to post on the site ... uhhh, then again .. maybe we were smart! :shock: LOL

Have a great conference and have fun with that tear. They tow like a dream don't they?!

Rhonda
OurStuff4You
Donating Member

Postby R Keller » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:00 am

Joseph,

First of all, congratulations!

Second, you've got to let me in on your secret about how you managed to subtract weight from your trailer! I'd love to do that on mine! My final weight estimates kept climbing up for a while there, though I've pretty much nailed it down now.

I think I remember a few weeks back that you estimated the final weight of your trailer at 700 lbs, so great job to get it at 640 fully loaded no less.

Have fun on the road.

Rik
R Keller
Teardrop Master

Postby Joseph » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:47 am

R Keller wrote:First of all, congratulations!
Second, you've got to let me in on your secret about how you managed to subtract weight from your trailer!

Hey Rik,

Thanks! The trick is in being brutally honest with yourself in your estimations and always estimate on the high side rather than the low.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby beverlyt » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:46 pm

Joseph,
Glad to hear your "teardrop" towed like a dream! I can barely wait for our first trip with ours in a few weeks.
We'll be meeting up with a few others, including Mike and Michelle! Can't wait to meet these wonderful folks in person! (Can't wait to see another teardrop other than our own too!)
Looking forward to hearing about your next trip....
Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby Joseph » Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:28 pm

And now, to borrow a page from Paul Harvey, the rest of the story.

The Tinroof Woody has completed her maiden voyage of 1,120 miles with no problems with either the 12" wheels or the Chinese bearings. Despite the fact that it doesn't leak in a torrential downpour while standing still, it's quite another matter when being towed through one at 65-70 mph - apparently I'm getting water blown through the doors. Easy fix as soon as I get to a hardware store - just need to weatherstrip the doors. Thought I could get away without doing so, but apparently not.

"Camp Asphalt" proved once again that a good camp depends more on the people in it than the scenery - had a GREAT time with about a dozen other folks who were camping for the conference rather than stay in the boot camp style open-bay dorms (boys in one, girls in another), or at the Holiday Inn for $99 a night.

Headed out yesterday afternoon about 4:30 and drove through massive thunderstorms. Wound up "camped" between two eighteen-wheelers at one of the service stops on the Ohio Turnpike. When it's dark and you're tired, scenery doesn't amount to much. Fortunately, since it was warm enough to lay on top of the bed without getting into it, I didn't notice that the edges of the sheets by the doors were soaked until this morning - I'd have spent a pretty restless night had I known, not that I could do a thing about it. The mattress is now drying out and we've had another torrential thunderstorm. Went out and checked a little while ago - bone dry - so it's definitely only a problem when the trailer is moving.

I won't go on about Greenfield Village or the Henry Ford Museum save to say that they are both truly incredible and well worth the trip!

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Shrug53 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:39 pm

It is great to hear that the 12" wheels work ok. I have been debating whther or not to use one of those Harbor Frieght trailers for my first build just because of the wheel size.
Congrats on that first, very long run! Must have been a blast!
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby OurStuff4You » Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:50 am

Glad to hear you made it home safely Joseph. We're off in our tear this weekend again ... they're just so much fun!

Rhonda
OurStuff4You
Donating Member

Postby Joseph » Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:46 pm

Posted a couple of pictures from the maiden voyage.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Steve Frederick » Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:53 pm

Nice pictures! Am I gonna have to get some pet flamingos?? :roll: The Tear looks really nice, even at "camp asphalt". Nice work!
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby Joseph » Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:08 am

Steve Frederick wrote:Nice pictures! Am I gonna have to get some pet flamingos?? :roll: The Tear looks really nice, even at "camp asphalt". Nice work!

Thanks! The flamingos are optional, though "Nothing says elegance like a pair of pink flamingos." (Hunter Hampton, owner of the Airstream Yahoo group.) I'll admit they go better with a beach theme tear like Gage's than with an Andirondack theme like mine, though I have seen several yards in the Adirondacks sporting flamingos. Speaking of which, here’s the new quilt and sheet set I just ordered for it. They're on backorder but I still have the polarfleece that I comandeered from the back of the couch to use in the meantime.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby BufordT » Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:23 am

Tear turned out Great Joseph. Glad you enjoyed your campout.

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby angib » Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:50 pm

Or is that "Nothing says elegance and independence like a pair of pink flamingoes set against a background of aluminum"?

Here is a flyer from my (British) bank - so you can see the idea is widespread.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Return to General Discussion