Done drawin', got an Esterel!

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby LuAnn » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:13 am

Mine is an electrolux from Luxembourg, I wish I had a manual for it, since it isn't too clear how to get it running right. I think I am going to forego the cargo door and revamping the bed, I love what you've done with yours, though. Thanks so much, LuAnn
LuAnn
Teardrop Inspector

Postby LuAnn » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:27 am

Mine is an electrolux from Luxembourg, I wish I had a manual for it, since it isn't too clear how to get it running right. I think I am going to forego the cargo door and revamping the bed, I love what you've done with yours, though. Thanks so much, LuAnn
LuAnn
Teardrop Inspector

Postby LuAnn » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:27 am

LuAnn
Teardrop Inspector

Postby LuAnn » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:37 am

LuAnn
Teardrop Inspector

Postby LuAnn » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:37 am

LuAnn
Teardrop Inspector

Postby navigator » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:11 am

Still here!

Went out last weekend, up a rather rough road. The low tongue and spare tire drug a few times, gotta raise that suspension. Had a great time!

BTW, got a super deal on a used air matress... it's like a sleep number bed, but no electricity required. Goes for about $2k new: http://www.emattress.com/. Sleeps great!

navigator
Teardrop Master

Postby JuneBug » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:23 pm

Such a remarkably ingenious design. Someone in the US is missing out by not making something similar with full headroom. A Liner and Chalet have the same folding concept, but the sloping ceiling restricts how the interior is utilized. I could not find an Esterel company Web site. Are they still being manufactured in Europe?
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Postby halfpastsix » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:26 pm

I had one years ago. I pulled it with a Fiat Panda, which is a teensy weensy Italian car with a 1.0L engine. I'm sure they've not been made for a long time.
halfpastsix
Teardrop Builder

Postby navigator » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:22 pm

Esterel quite making folding trailers in the 90's, they still produce motorhomes: http://www.esterel.fr/en/. In the UK, Gobur makes half-folding trailers like the Esterel: http://www.goburcaravans.co.uk/. Not cheap, they range from US$18,500 to US$30,000, (plus options and getting it here).

I agree, seems there should be an American market for such a practical design. Roomy, yet very easy to put up or down, no cranking, hyraulics, or motors involved. The sandwich construction makes it light and insulated.

Went up a narrow dirt road and found that it was closed for construction two miles up (why no sign below??), no room to turn around with the trailer. I unhitched it and spun it by hand, making great use of the parking brake to keep it from rolling down the road. Try that with a similar-sized A-liner!

A bit of history from http://folding-caravan.co.uk/:

Since the early 70’s, there has been an increasing desire for caravans designed specifically for those with limited home storage space as well as a caravan that tows more safely, and more fuel economical than the conventional, traditional towing caravan. Several manufacturers ,at that time, took up the mantle of manufacturing a true ‘half folding caravan‘, the most significant of these being ‘Esterel’ and ’ Rapido’ from France, and Gobur from the U.K., and were an instant sensation and hit when launched. The mid to late ‘90’s saw a shift in folding caravan design with the addition of ‘Pop Up’ caravans , where just the roof section elevated, providing a more conventional feel yet maintaining the aerodynamic and storage advantages of the ‘half folding’ caravans. ‘Esterel’ and ‘Rapido’ designed and marketed both types of caravan and ‘Fleurette’ joined the list of major manufacturers in the late ‘80’s.

The late ‘90’s and early 2000’s saw another shift with the growth of the motor home throughout Europe leaving all but Gobur in the U.K. continuing to manufacture Folding caravans, with the Pop Up market falling to companies such as ‘Eriba’ ( another variation on the pop up caravan). This signalled the end to most Folding caravan retailers in the U.K. with companies such as Emm Bee Caravans in Manchester, Trailblazers in Bournemouth , and ,probably the best known, The Folding Caravan Centre in Swindon, all moving into different areas of the leisure trade.

The demand for second hand folding and pop up caravans , however, provided a niche market for Campers and Leisure Ltd., who have been dealing with this unique type of caravan since 1989. Campers and Leisure Ltd. provide a variety of good quality ‘folders’ and pop ups, all road safety checked, fault tested, and warranted .

The European market was strengthened in 2003 with France’s largest leisure group ,’Trigano’ ,designing and producing a brand new pop up caravan with the ‘Rubis‘ range, followed in 2007 ,by ‘Silver‘. These small, lightweight caravans along with the many used models available today, have proved increasingly popular as the costs involved with towing and storing a caravan has escalated through taxation , increased fuel , and land storage charges.

Campers and Leisure Ltd. continue to deal and service both Folding and Pop Up caravans and with the explosion of the internet have a national shop window for these products at www.campersandleisure.co.uk. Experience in folding, pop up and small caravans is essential in understanding the benefits ,advantages and mechanics of these products, and staff at Campers and Leisure Ltd. continue to provide a dedicated , knowledgeable and unique service in the U.K. today.
navigator
Teardrop Master

Re: Done drawin', got an Esterel!

Postby navigator » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:59 pm

Been a long time since I have posted here, but do stop by to read occasionally. Still have the Esterel. We don't camp as much as we did there for a while, but I'm holding on to that trailer. Daughter got married last month, ceremony was outdoors, so we used the camper for a changing room. Hope to go camping/prospecting this fall, if these 95 degree days cool off.

connor_audrey_113.jpg
connor_audrey_113.jpg (574.94 KiB) Viewed 984 times
navigator
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to General Discussion