Done drawin', got an Esterel!

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Done drawin', got an Esterel!

Postby navigator » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:31 pm

All the drawing, calculating and dreaming on how to build the trailer I want is over. Been looking for two years, finally found the production trailer I have based so many of my designs on: an Esterel!

It's an '87, and in excellent condition. Well, judging by photos and the seller's description, anyway. Haven't seen it yet. Will have to drive 800 miles (one way) next week to pick it up...

At 16.5' (overall) it's 4' longer than I would like. But for the price, and not having to build anything, I'm quite happy!

navigator
Teardrop Master

Postby Micro469 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:15 pm

John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby hiker chick » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:19 pm

Congrats!

Terrific to find your dream.

:thumbsup:
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby regis101 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:04 pm

I watched a coupla hits on you tube. I'd go for one. Me likes 'em better than a tent trailer.
Peace, Regis
Livermore, Ca
Working on Build #2
regis101
Teardrop Master

Postby starleen2 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:58 am

Cool video :thumbsup:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby PKCSPT » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:24 am

Sets up like the Aliner type trailers with more room. Seems like a nice easy setup.
Hope you enjoy
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby kirkman » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:14 pm

Now that's nice! Congrats!
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ageless » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:54 pm

Nice find? How about some interior pix?
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby regis101 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:30 pm

I like that when in the folded position it's low enough to have a bike and/or boat rack at a decent height for easy loading and unloading.
Peace, Regis
Livermore, Ca
Working on Build #2
regis101
Teardrop Master

Cool

Postby eamarquardt » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:51 pm

That is cool. Easy to set up, per the video! Is it insulated at all? That would be a real plus. Searched the net and found one for sale in Quebec and another in Penn (if I remember right).

Good find.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Congratulations

Postby bgordon » Mon May 03, 2010 4:10 am

Navigator,

That's great! You'll be pressed to find a better folding trailer than an Esterel. I would have owned one if they were available around here!

Hope you make wonderful memories with your new camper.
Barrie

Keep moving forward.
Psalm 1:1-3.

Build Journal: bgordon's 5 week cardboard & fiberglass build
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=38781
bgordon
Teardrop Master

Re: Done drawin', got an Esterel!

Postby teardrop_focus » Mon May 03, 2010 10:15 am

navigator

Been looking for two years, finally found the production trailer I have based so many of my designs on: an Esterel!

Nice! Congratulations! She looks sweet! :P

Arne's looking for Esterel surge brakes system parts! Maybe you could lend a hand...

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=37012

:thumbsup:

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon May 03, 2010 2:28 pm

Congratulations on your new trailer! She looks good in the picture. I don't envy the 1600 mile round trip to pick 'er up, though! Don't forget to post more pictures when you get it home! We'll be watching for them!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby navigator » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:46 pm

Sorry for delay on more pics, will get some better ones soon. The trip to get the trailer went well: three days of driving. On the way home the wind was HORRIBLE (closed I-40 due to dust storms), but the trailer made little difference to my Tahoe's handling. Lost the roof vent somewhere in NM, and of course it's an odd European size, can get one but will cost $95. Will probably just enlarge to standard 14" square.

Took it out for the Memorial Day weekend, Thurs-Mon. Pulled it up a mountain and camped at 9,200', with a snow bank in front of our spot. Temps from 40s-60s, but slept very warm without using heater. Yes, the trailer is insulated; the upper walls are a composite of aluminum/foam/plywood, the lower body walls using fiberglass instead of aluminum. The floor is ply/foam/ply. The roof is fiberglass/foam/fiberglass. The wndows are double-layer plastic (lexan?), like a thermal window (as was the roof vent).

The ladder is used to place the chain that the air chairs hang from. The awning poles were later adjusted to be level. There were three of us in the trailer: me, the wife, and our 13 year old daughter. A bit crowded, but not bad. Better for two...

I would reconfigure the interior, remove the mini kitchen and other items, and try to maximize the storage space. Wife not so sure about that. Maybe later...

It tows very well, and it's great to be able to see over it. The design is not the best for dirt/off road, as the tongue is mounted under the frame, hanging 6" under it. The spare is mounted under the frame, too, reducing rear clearance.

The brake system is cable operated, and works fine. It is an "over run" type; when you slow down, the hitch's inner tube moves forward as the trailer pushes forward, tightening the cable and activating the brakes. There is also a parking brake, very handy.

I am considering mounting the tongue to the front of the frame, instead of under it, but will have to look it over very closely to make sure it's strong enough that way. Would also like to change out the AL-KO torsion axle for a TorqueFlex, to get more clearance and to have electric brakes (and easier-to-obtain repair parts). Change from 13" to 15" wheels, too.

But, overall, I really like it! It is very easy to put up and down, is quieter, warmer, and darker (with curtains closed) than a tent trailer, has 6' 2" headroom open and is only 4' high (from ground) when closed. It's easy to move when unhitched, since it only weighs about 1,400 lbs.

Talked to a fellow in Indiana who had one for sale on Craigslist for $1,900, no takers; he then put it on eBay and sold if for $3,200! Person who bought it was in TX...

Esterel's were imported to the US for a couple of years, so there are some around, and they are "Americanized" with DOT regulation lighting, and 110 volt instead of 220 volt circuits.
navigator
Teardrop Master

Postby SonofT@B » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:16 pm

Love it! Can't wait to see the inside pics. We only got to about 90 over the weekend here.
Mike and Jackie in Atlanta
T@Bitha (2004 T@B)
Ford Ranger XLT 2003
SonofT@B
Donating Member

Next

Return to General Discussion