CA "Camp" Trailers

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

CA "Camp" Trailers

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:52 pm

Somewhere along the way here, I read that Camp trailers in California, needed to be kept at 15' or less... and I've made references to that information a few times myself. That information was wrong... A Camp Trailer can be 16' and here in California it's 8' maxiumum width.
(From what others have stated, in most other states you can go 8.5' in width)

I found these two sections, one which mentions the maximum length and one which talks about weight and the need for trailer brakes....

Camp Trailer

242. A "camp trailer" is a vehicle designed to be used on a highway, capable of human habitation for camping or recreational purposes, that does not exceed 16 feet in overall length from the foremost point of the trailer hitch to the rear extremity of the trailer body and does not exceed 96 inches in width and includes any tent trailer. Where a trailer telescopes for travel, the size shall apply to the trailer as fully extended. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a camp trailer shall not be deemed to be a trailer coach.

Trailer Coaches and Camp Trailers

26303. Every trailer coach and every camp trailer having a gross weight of 1,500 pounds or more, but exclusive of passengers, shall be equipped with brakes on at least two wheels which are adequate, supplemental to the brakes on the towing vehicle, to enable the combination of vehicles to comply with the stopping distance requirements of Section 26454.

Return to General Discussion