Safety glass in windows? or not?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Safety glass in windows? or not?

Postby rlphoto » Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:41 am

Looking to get some windows for the small hybrid camper I am building and it was suggested that I use small aluminum house windows. I was ready to go get some, but I realized they where not safty glass. How importrant is this in a small camper?

Any opinions on this?

Randy
rlphoto
Teardrop Master

Postby fornesto » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:15 am

Not terriblyimportant since you won't be riding in the trailer down the road. Safety glass is designed to keep your windshield from breaking into a million daggers when a piece of gravel cracks it at 80 MPH. Ouch! Once the teardrop is parked, it assumes the same level of hazard as a home. Fugetaboutit.
fornesto
Donating Member

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:03 pm

Wrong...
Check with your state to see what their safety glazing codes are.
Here in California, you are permited to use annealed glass in a teardrop trailer, because it is not going to be carrying passengers while in transit.
However... You are required to have safety glass in the cabin doors and any window that is within a 24" radius of the door opening.
laminated, tempered and plastics are your choices as far as safety glass goes.
The only exceptions to not useing safety glass in a door which is designed for human entry/exit are... the overall lite size shall not permit a three inch sphere from passing through the window opening and use of art glass where came is used, as in leaded and stained glass panels.
Use of overhead glass such as sunroofs, skylights and roof vents... require saftey glass as well.

Postby doug hodder » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:55 pm

I've got the windows from Grant, and I'm glad I did, I screwed up and had one fall out of the door onto the concrete, no breakage, maybe a 2 foot drop....Doug Hodder PS listen to Dean, he's in the glass business, knows his stuff..... 8)
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby len19070 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:01 am

Since your not supposed to ride in the back of a trailer as its going down the Highway. The need for safety glass just isn't there. If you want to use it..that's fine. As far as any kind of code, I've always found that nobody at a DMV knows what a Teardrop is. Building a trailer, yourself is a concept they Just can't grasp. As soon as you ask a question they start flowing information as if you were going to open a 500,000 Square foot Trailer Manufacturing Facility to make 30 & 40 foot Motorhomes in. So when given information by them, you have to make a decision that they can't. What are we doing? We're installing 2 windows that are less than 300 sq. inches each in a box that nobody will be riding in. That (as said earlier) Once parked, assumes the same level of hazard as a home. Fugetaboutit.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby rlphoto » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:30 am

So why cant somebody ride in a tear why it is going down the road?
rlphoto
Teardrop Master

Postby Chris C » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:51 am

It's against the law to ride inside any towed trailer in all states of the Union.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby fornesto » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:06 pm

fornesto
Donating Member

Postby rlphoto » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:01 am

rlphoto
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion