Another Wiring Question

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Another Wiring Question

Postby Ross Wade » Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:57 am

This will be the last wiring to do on the teardrop. I have the Auxiliary Wire from the tow vechicle running to the battery compartment of the tear. My question is, How do I connect it to the battery so it will charge while in tow? I don't want to damage either battery by not knowing what I am doing.

Thanks, Ross
Ross
Southern Appalachian Tearjerker Chapter Director
Ross Wade
Southern TearJerker

Postby Shrug53 » Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:11 am

Any time you are using the alternator you need to use some sort of isolator.
I use an isolator for the dual bateries on my Chevy, but in the case of the trailer I will be using an actual trailer charging module.
Check out this link:

http://www.atkinsonelectronics.com/prod ... CM-40A.pdf

You can actually use just abot any isolator. What the isolator does basically is sense when the remote battery is at full charge and then disconnects it from the charging source (alternator). This way you make sure that both batteries are getting a full charge.

Hope this helps.
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby tdhombre » Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:23 am

Great advice from Shrug. Do NOT connect the 12v supply from your car directly to the teardrop battery. An isolator should be used to:

1. detect when the teardrop battery is fully charged and isolate it from further charging while in tow, and
2. isolate your car battery when you are using the teardrop battery when parked to prevent your tow vechicle battey from getting run down.

Good luck and keep us all informed of your progress.
tdhombre
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ross Wade » Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:20 am

Thanks Shrug and thanks Dave. I have read about isolators being used but never really knew what for. Now I need to figure out the amount of amps of my battery.

Also, thanks for the quick response. Ross
Ross
Southern Appalachian Tearjerker Chapter Director
Ross Wade
Southern TearJerker

Postby Shrug53 » Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:36 am

Hey anytime. I may not know much about trailer building, but I have wired up quite a few hot rods in my day. If you really want to get in to detail there is a book called:

RV Electrical Systems: A Basic Guide to Troubleshooting, Repairing and Improvement
by Bill Moeller, Jan Moeller

You can pick this up on Amazon. I am going to buy that and a few other books if I ever get another design client and have some extra money. Other wise they are on my birthday/christmas list (only two days apart, so pretty much the same thing).

It looks like this book will give you all the basics including multiple source usage (inverter/generator/external a/c)
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Return to General Discussion