My AC solution

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby SonofT@B » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:27 am

Like the ingenuity! Still too big for the 4x8 MYPOD. Looks like I'm first up for the Tears of Summer Rally. Got to Cloudland Canyon yesterday morning. My one pipe a/c worked fine in 90+ yesterday.

Probably see a lot of interesting mods this weekend.
Mike and Jackie in Atlanta
T@Bitha (2004 T@B)
Ford Ranger XLT 2003
SonofT@B
Donating Member

Postby Arne » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:34 am

I'd put an adjustable leg under the frame to give it more support. You have 40+ pounds twisting a long piece of small tubing.. you could position it so it also kept the a/c pressed up against the door.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Archam » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:27 pm

Where there's a will there's a way

Archam[/url][/b]

Last edited by Archam on Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archam
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:47 pm

:thumbsup: Great fix on that Little Guy. If you click on edit in the right corner of your post you will be able to see the string for the img.

Just click on your picture, right click on the url addy and copy. Click on Img in the menu, right click on the post and paste then click on close tags... ;)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby 2bits » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:35 am

Hey Deceiver, that setup looks good. My hi fan speed broke on my AC unit and it cools my teardrop great in 100' weather at low speed, with how small a teardrop is, you want it to cool more slowly anyway so it also has the chance to clean out the humidity. That's why alot of people leave the windows open or install a vent near the AC unit to trick it into running longer. Ice cold but clammy cold is gross feeling. It looks like you have some pretty big gaps on both sides of the AC unit if I am seeing it right, this will work great for that same purpose.

Archam:

I just wanted to pop in and ask if you had the side intake sections covered up. That might be a serious issue. I like the way you customized it though!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby deceiver » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:31 am

2bits wrote:It looks like you have some pretty big gaps on both sides of the AC unit if I am seeing it right, this will work great for that same purpose.

Well I might be in trouble and have to leave some gaps. The foam piece is a few inches square. when pressed against the window there are no gaps at all. Even the bottom of the AC unit, which has no foam, pushes up against the protruded metal rim of the window. In a day or two I'm going to do a cooling test. I've got one of those digital indoor/outdoor thermometers in the trailer. We'll see what happens. Fingers crossed.
Conform and be dull.
deceiver
The 300 Club

Postby SamTHorn » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:14 pm

There's some clever ideas going on around here. Thanks for sharing....I would never of thought about air conditioning in a tear drop.

Cheers.
SamTHorn
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:51 pm

SamTHorn wrote:There's some clever ideas going on around here. Thanks for sharing....I would never of thought about air conditioning in a tear drop.

Cheers.

I am betting you haven't see the ice maker section either ! :laughter:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby nawlinsteardrop » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:07 pm

I made a few attempts on AC til I got it pretty much perfect...

This one used tubes for return and out put air. nice but really froze up when humidity got too high....

Then we cut a hole in the front.

This worked well but it kept freezing up in 90% + humidity. So I added a small fan and a straw over the thermostat wire. This solved the problem.

My T@B has a heat pump, it needs a better fan as well to keep from freezing up...

LOVE AC IN MY TEARDROP :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
Chad

Life sometimes throws you a curve ball, be flexible and courageous enough to still knock it out of the park.

http://www.outsidesupply.com

http://blog.outsidesupply.com
nawlinsteardrop
Teardrop Master

Postby nawlinsteardrop » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:13 pm

Archam nice cut on the back. Looks sweet!
Chad

Life sometimes throws you a curve ball, be flexible and courageous enough to still knock it out of the park.

http://www.outsidesupply.com

http://blog.outsidesupply.com
nawlinsteardrop
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:48 pm

I made no attempt to return the cooled air to be recooled and iit seems to have eliminated short cycling and freeze ups.

I simply diverted the cold air only into the trailer
Last edited by bobhenry on Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby 07rascal » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:51 pm

We added a 5K unit to ours and the pics below are how we are going to do it. We wanted it to use only a few days a year so did not want a permanent mount. It will draw its return air from outside and only blow the cold in thru the lower window. The window will close down to the top of my manufactured "snout". We leave the roof vent open to allow the air to escape and it works very nice to keep it cool/cold inside but dry and not damp. It took the inside temp in the sun from 102 to 70 in about 1 hr 15 min. We plan on just using the GFI plug feature on the unit and reaching out the other door and turning it on and off as needed so as not to freeze in the middle of the night. We also have a deflector I have made to keep the air directed up and back in the TD.

The tote we use for a stand is the one we always take camping with some supplies in it, so we are not adding any additional items to take that will take up valuable room in the Focus!

This is what we have come up with, we wont use it much thru the year as most of our camping is done in October in the UP of Michigan, and heat is usually the requirement then! :shock:

Terry & Lisa
--------------------------------
From our LG Rascal to the Cabin-A.....The LG found a good home!

"When employed, live like your unemployed....so that when your unemployed you can live like your employed!!"

07rascal
Teardrop Master

Postby 2bits » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:46 pm

07rascal wrote:We plan on just using the GFI plug feature on the unit and reaching out the other door and turning it on and off as needed so as not to freeze in the middle of the night.

Reaching out the "Other" door? You must have some long arms or I missed something! :lol:
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby 07rascal » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:33 pm

The A/C cord has a GFI plug on the end of it with a Test and Reset button on it. The cord is about 8' long and will run under the TD to the other side where we can reach it by simply opening the "non-blocked by the AC door" and switching it off!

No long arms involved! :shock:
Terry & Lisa
--------------------------------
From our LG Rascal to the Cabin-A.....The LG found a good home!

"When employed, live like your unemployed....so that when your unemployed you can live like your employed!!"

07rascal
Teardrop Master

Postby 2bits » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:48 pm

SWEETNESS!!! I get it now! You are using the GFI switch as the AC on/off! Mine has the same button on it so I know what you mean now, very creative thinking!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion