Guidance-Fiberglass

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Guidance-Fiberglass

Postby BILLYL » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:48 pm

Howdy-

Just some advice on fiberglass cloth. For the outside what weight should I use - was thinking between 3 - 4 oz. ANd does the weave make a difference. Never used fiberglass cloth before - but have handled epoxy before.

Also- any good online sites to buy it from looking ffor at least 48inch wide by 31/3 yards for the sides and about 3 yards for the top.

Thanks

BILL
"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll
gonna murder you in your sleep...." Frank Zappa
BILLYL
Donating Member

Postby Brad Lustig » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:51 pm

A good online source is Raka

www.raka.com
Brad Lustig
Teardrop Master

Postby Bobgorilla » Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:12 pm

BillyL,I think you're better off with several layers of lighter weight than 1 layer of medium weight.I would start with 1/2 or 3/4 ounce and then go with 1 ounce for a couple of layers. This allows for better contact on corners and better control of the amount of resin, you want to roll and squeeze as much resin as possible out of the glass while making sure it is completely wetted as you lay it up. I also believe this makes a stronger final part. This is based on 4 years of experience in the boat business 20 years ago, so maybe someone with more recent experience can help you more. The weave makes a big difference in the finished surface and how much prep it will take to be ready for paint or gelcoat, I would recommend uni(for universal)directional for a relatively smooth finish. Once again someone with more recent experience might suggest something else. Hope this helps :thumbsup:
P.S. I just looked at thread titled Blueberry Hilton redo, he did a fabulous job and is probably someone you should ask for advice :applause:
if you're not bleeding you're not really working
Bobgorilla
Teardrop Dreamer

Postby Steve Frederick » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:35 pm

I use 4-oz plain weave everywhere on a Tear. On a kayak...(off topic) I use 6-oz on the hull, for impact resistance, and 3 0z on the deck. Light, but strong enough. I don't see the need for multiple layers, unless you are reinforcing a joint. Better to have a tight mechanical , glued joint. The 'glass on a tear is for blending the joints and reinforcing them. If all you wanted was waterproofing, I would just use a couple of coats of epoxy, followed by the finish of your choice.
Here's a built-up panel for my Lil'Diner. The sections are butt joined. The 'Glass adds strength and water proofing.
Check out my site for info on 'glassing. I use Raka 127/350 slow no blush epoxy exclusivly. I get the 'glass from Larry too.
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby BILLYL » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:02 am

Thanks

Steve-

All I am going to do is water proof the 3/4inch sides and top. So the epoxy will just fill the grain and seal the top? That should work nicely.

Thanks
BILL
"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll
gonna murder you in your sleep...." Frank Zappa
BILLYL
Donating Member

Postby Marck » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:15 am

Hmmmm
I wonder how much it would help, waterproof wise, to put a coat of epoxy over a coat of acrylic enamel paint??? after it is all cured and dried I mean???
You want to build WHAT?????

40 isn't middle aged....
IT'S YOUTH PART II
Marck
500 Club

epoxy

Postby tjdale » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:48 pm

I would not put epoxy or epoxy/glass over any paint.
For one thing it will only stick to your project as well as the paint does. When the paint comes off so does the epoxy. And I am not sure what chemical reaction you will be creating--you may just decrease the life of your paint.
For another epoxy needs UV protection so you should paint over it-not the other way around.
I don't think any epaxy manufacturer would recommend epoxy over paint.
tjdale
Teardrop Builder

Re: Guidance-Fiberglass

Postby Joanne » Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:17 am

BILLYL wrote:Howdy-

Just some advice on fiberglass cloth. For the outside what weight should I use - was thinking between 3 - 4 oz. ANd does the weave make a difference. Never used fiberglass cloth before - but have handled epoxy before.

Also- any good online sites to buy it from looking ffor at least 48inch wide by 31/3 yards for the sides and about 3 yards for the top.

Thanks

BILL

I'm waiting for my epoxy & glass to arrive from RAKA. It should be here by Monday. Living in Las Vegas and doing the glass work during the summer, I decided on slow hardener. I ordered 6 oz cloth, not because I needed it but rather cause I didn't know any better. I don't think it will hurt to have the heavier glass though. I plan on painting the trailer a light tan when it's all complete. The frame and fenders will be a dark brown. I like the "earthy" colors.

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby Brad Lustig » Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:42 am

On boats, it's usually recommended to go with the thicker layer of fiberglass as opposed to several thinner layers if you're looking for abrasion resistance. The thinner stuff is pretty easy to scuff up.

You may want to search these forums for advice on fiberglass.

Backyard Yacht Builders
http://byyb.org/pn/modules.php?op=modlo ... file=index

Messing About
http://www.messing-about.com/forum/

Wooden Boat
http://woodenboat-ubb.com/cgi-bin/UBB/ultimatebb.cgi

I believe the search function is down on Wooden Boat, though
Brad Lustig
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion