No Frame Trailer? Would this be safe?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby angib » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:14 pm

Chris C wrote:Is that something I needed to know? :shock: :rofl2:

Well, maybe not, but I thought you might want to know where you can buy one - a 'Peaches' merkin. :thumbsup:

And before you go checking out who Peaches is, I think the phrase 'transexual musician' is involved, but I ain't right sure..... :oops:

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Roly Nelson » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:57 pm

Having used a 200 lb Harbor Freight, trailer for my Woody, I have found that a frame is useless if it is expected to provide non-twisting stability to a properly glued and screwed teardrop body. Take any frame (without a tear on it) and load it with cement blocks on all 4 corners, then jack up only one corner and, Bingo, a major twist will be noticed. I have jacked up the rear corner of my completed tear, lifted one wheel 2" off of the ground and the doors open nicely with no binding, hence the whole unit is like a car unibody, un-twistable.

I have no doubt that building a frameless trailer would work, the question is, for how long. I suppose that many years of water splashing against the wood bottom would take it's toll, and structural failure would inevitabley occur. If a fully loaded frameless teardrop were to break loose from it's tongue or have a spring rip loose due to rotten wood, it could ruin your whole day if it hits you head on at 140 mph. Just my 2 cents, now back to building the 6 foot long 1/4 Nelson Stacker on a 3'4"x4' HF trailer, presently bolted together in my workshop.

Roly Nelson, back from Minden with the 1/2 Nelson Woody......whew!
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby BobR » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:21 pm

Hey Roly,

Any drawings or pictures of the 1/4 Nelson Stacker? Sounds really interesting...I am also sure its going to be another Woody, right?
Bob Richert
Parrish, FL
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars"
BobR
Donating Member

Postby Woody » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:34 pm

Roly,
I agree with BobR, how about some pictures of the 1/4 Nelson. :thumbsup:
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Jiminsav » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:46 pm

I'm willing to wager it's half of a Half Nelson. 8)
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:53 pm

Nah, I'll bet it's at least three quarters of the 1/2 nelson!!! :R Wouldn't that be a 3/8ths nelson? We are gonna have to talk to Roly about the naming convention!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Bobgorilla » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:35 pm

angib wrote:
mikeschn wrote:Here's an example of what can happen when you bolt the axle directly to the body...

But..... impressively, the photo Mike showed is what the trailer looked like after being dragged down the road on its belly at 60mph. Does anyone else think their trailer can withstand this? However, failing to fix the axle on properly was indeed stupid.

I don't think building a frameless trailer is something for a novice to do, but if anyone thinks it can't be done safely, I can tell that they don't know much about structural engineering!

Andrew

Absolutely right!, Andrew. I know a couple of examples of boats and planes that have no real frame, but whoever would design this needs to know an enormous amount about engineering (at least compared to how much I know)
P.S. isn't it pronounced murikin?
if you're not bleeding you're not really working
Bobgorilla
Teardrop Dreamer

Postby engled » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:09 pm

Cutterpup wrote:
[color=red]Build your Tear Drop camper on a flat bed utility trailer that already has a title and there is no need for an inspection to get License Plates.

I would like to know what this guy is smoking I haven't had anything that good in years!
[/color]
Dan

That is very much so, it took me all of 10 miutes to get a tag for my Cubby and it was at home when I did it.
engled
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Woody » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:31 pm

I have been saying that for a year, IT WORKS. That is what I did to get my tag. Take the Certificate of Origin and the reciept for the trailer frame and get a tag. You bypass inspections and all the crap they want you to do for a camper or homebuilt campers. Plus you save money and time to boot

This should be a piece of info that should be readily available in a "sticky"
Woody
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Confused

Postby Cutterpup » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:35 pm

That is very much so, it took me all of 10 miutes to get a tag for my Cubby and it was at home when I did it.

From Alabama Vehicle Registration FAQs

http://www.ador.state.al.us/motorvehicl ... n_FAQ.html

"Is it necessary for the license plate issuing official to inspect the vehicle?

Under Alabama law, if the vehicle is being titled for the first time in Alabama, an inspection of the vehicle identification number is required. Thus, it would be necessary for the vehicle to be taken to the county office in order to make application for certificate of title and for the vehicle to be registered. "

Not Trying to be a P.I.A. but how is it that you were at home and was able to get a Title?

Dan
Cutterpup
Teardrop Master

Postby Cutterpup » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:38 pm

Woody
I have been saying that for a year, IT WORKS. That is what I did to get my tag. Take the Certificate of Origin and the reciept for the trailer frame and get a tag. You bypass inspections and all the crap they want you to do for a camper or homebuilt campers. Plus you save money and time to boot

The "plans show a frameless trailer" who would supply a Certificate of Origin for a homebuilt?

Or are we just talking about two different things?

Dan
Cutterpup
Teardrop Master

Postby Woody » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:59 pm

I was stating about the Certificate of Origin provided by the trailer frame manufacturer. In Florida, I went the court house and presented the Certificate of Origin ( which had the VIN number on it) and the reciept of purchase and got a tag. The teardrop body I then built on on the frame. So we are technically talking about two different things. Getting a VIN for a home buit trailer is a tad more work involved in it. You could always do what some Hotrodders do. A friend of mine had no title for a custom rod he hand built. If I recall correctly, he was refered to someone in georgia from a car magazine and bought an old title, for a car of the same year and make, for registration and tagging purposes. So it may be possible there is some outlet for other types of titles also. I don't know
Woody
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby madjack » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:32 pm

...for a home built trailer in La. you call the State Police, an officer comes to your home and inspects trailer...fenders, lights,ect,ect. He takes out his stamp set and puts vin# on trailer and gives you some paper work to take to the local DMV office were they issue a tag upon reciept of paper work and appropriate moneys
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Cutterpup » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:33 pm

Woody, now we know we were talking about two different things. Apples and oranges make a good fruit salad but either one will squish nicely when you drive over it.

:D :lol: :D

Several posts back it sounded like someone was saying that they could get an inspection, vin number, etc at home rather than towing the finished trailer to an inspection station.

People who build on their tears on already finished trailers have an easier time than those who build their trailer frames themselves. But, they miss out on the bruised feet, strained backs, cut fingers and burn holes in their clothes by not hauling, moving, cutting and welding the steel.

Fortunately ours passed without a hitch (well not really...we needed a hitch on the jeep to get it to the inspection station). Our neighbor, on the other hand, bought an old boat trailer to haul a motorcycle down to Florida, then bought a harbor freight trailer just to get the certificate of origin, etc to put on his bike hauler, registered it then took the parts he needed off the harbor freight and gave us the rest.

Judy
Cutterpup
Teardrop Master

Postby asianflava » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:46 pm

I was at the tag office the other day paying for the registration on our cars. I asked about tagging a homebuilt trailer. She gave me the form and highlighted the parts I needed to fill out. She pointed out the empty weight and maximum weight boxes and said that if the 2 boxes don't add up to 4000lbs, then the trailer DOES NOT need a title.

I've heard that they are pretty lenient here in TX. I guess what everybody said is true. I've heard that you don't have to show the trailer to anyone to get a tag for it.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion