Glue dissapointment

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby Chris C » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:23 pm

Like I said, Ol Timer........................it is a good glue, and works great for some people. If you like it, use it. :thumbsup: I just don't like working with it. It's too messy and unpredictable for my purposes. :thumbdown: Kudos to those who use it and like it. :applause: I know people who swear by it. I'd never keep my clients if I used it on my furniture.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby An Ol Timer » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:42 pm

I only wish that people wouldn't let personal prefernces be the determining factor if whether or not a product is of good to anyone else. The constant reference to the use of moisture leads me to believe that you are using a different product entirely and just grouping all PU glues together. You know, like cars, the Spectra being the same as a Rolls. I've seen people here who have been death on the HF trailers and its smaller wheels, but look around and you will see a lot of them used. Present a product you like and give its Pros and Cons and let it go at that, but this constant knocking a product because it doesn't meet your higher standards, is only detrimental to the overall choices that all should have. I've said all I intend to on the subject, so puts some MOISTURE on it!
An Ol Timer
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:56 pm

I've been quiet up till this point. So I guess, now it's my turn...

Glue... yea, I think there's a glue for every reason and every season.

I use polyurethane glue on the subfloor and other places that see extreme moisture. These glue joints are fully backed up by mechanical fasteners.

I used Titebond II on most of my woodworking, but if I were to do it again I would probably use Titebond III. These joints are typically backed up by biscuits or screws.

Yea, can you tell, I like redundant fastening? Anyways, you can probably use what ever glue you are comfortable with, as long as there is some water resistance. And if you are not sure about a joint, put a screw in it!

Above all have fun, and don't sniff it too long! :angel:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Chris C » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:58 pm

Ol Timer,

I was using polyurethane glues in the early 1970's before it was even available to the public. I have used so many thousand gallons of the stuff that I have to admit I have aquired a personal preference to not use it. :thumbdown: Guess that's what makes us all different..............our personal preferences. I've tried to be careful to include in my comments references to the fact it is a personal preference..............it doesn't have to be yours or anyone else's and I don't condemn anyone who uses the stuff. I've just tried to honestly share why I don't. Didn't mean to offend you or anyone else and apologize if my comments came across that way. :shake hands: After all, we are all in the same boat here.............we are all trying to find the best way to build our tears and asking for a lot of advice from others.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby IraRat » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:18 am

I used to love the glue that I made in Kindergarten with flour and water.

You could eat it, too!
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Now we know

Postby Guy » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:29 pm

Dear Ira,

Now we know what is wrong with you. :lol:

As another born and bred in Brooklyn, I knew it had to be something.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Now we know

Postby IraRat » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:29 pm

Guy wrote:Dear Ira,

Now we know what is wrong with you. :lol:

As another born and bred in Brooklyn, I knew it had to be something.

IT'S JUST FLOUR!!!

What part of Brooklyn? Some parts don't count.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

"Mill Basin" "King's Plaza"

Postby Guy » Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:38 pm

In Brooklyn, on East 58th and Ave.U, In what is now ostensibly called "Kiing's Plaza, or "Mill Basin"
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion