Waterproofing an EZ Up

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Waterproofing an EZ Up

Postby Shiro » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:21 pm

With my tear, I received a knockoff EZ Up. In a heavy rain, fine mist filters through it. Any suggestions for increase its water resistance? I am hoping there is something I can spray or paint on the fabric to make it more of a rain shelter.

Thanks.
Shiro
Teardrop Advisor

Postby cguardsman » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:39 pm

there is a product to refresh nylon tents that you spray on....walmart carries it but i can't remember what the name is :thinking:
Craig
cguardsman
Teardrop Master

Postby ScottH61 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:01 pm

3M makes one that waterproofs, and it also has a mildew inhibitor. They do carry it at Wal-Mart, about $7 a (spray) can. Took two cans to do my smallish tent. They also carry another brand that just waterproofs, but I like the mildew inhibitor. Look for them in the Sporting Goods section near the tents.
~ Scott
ScottH61
Teardrop Builder

Postby IraRat » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:08 pm

I don't think the stuff lasts that long, right? Like, you're supposed to do it at the start of every "season," but what does that mean?

I also remember that with tents, there's something they sell to specifically seal the seams, and not necessarily the material as a whole.

Another example of how Coleman GETs you!!!
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby Chris C » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:15 pm

I used to "do" crafts festivals almost weekly 5 months out of the year and found nothing to replace the water repelancy of an EZUp tent.........other than replacement. We used to sell our tent about every other season and just buy a new one.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby cguardsman » Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:35 pm

ScottH61 wrote:3M makes one that waterproofs, and it also has a mildew inhibitor. They do carry it at Wal-Mart, about $7 a (spray) can. Took two cans to do my smallish tent. They also carry another brand that just waterproofs, but I like the mildew inhibitor. Look for them in the Sporting Goods section near the tents.

thanks for the assist in the product info.....you must spend too much time at Walmart too! :lol:
Craig
cguardsman
Teardrop Master

Postby Arne » Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:42 pm

There are several brands of sealer, try any sports dept or sporting goods store... the other stuff is 'seam sealer' meant to see sewed seams..
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby ScottH61 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:28 pm

Kenco makes a great seam sealer... they make a water based kind (Seam Sealer 3) for just sealing seams, and a urethane kind (SeamGrip) that's good for seam sealing and for minor repairs. I've had good luck with the water based (as odd as that may sound). It goes on fast and dries fairly quick. The Seam Sealer 3 can be found at Wal-Mart too... look for the tent stakes -- it'll be close by. You'd probably have to go to a real outdoor sporting goods store (REI, Dick's, etc.) to find Seam Grip.

As far as waterproof durability, I generally give mine a good coat or two of the waterproofer and re-do the seam sealer at the start of every spring. It's always lasted at least until the next spring. I haven't had any water in the tent that I didn't bring in with me (knock on wood!)

And yes, I spend WAAAY too much time at Wal-Mart... and too much money too, but who can resist? ;)
~ Scott
ScottH61
Teardrop Builder

Postby Shiro » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:34 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I will try some spray on stuff. If it's really raining hard, I have a hat on and the fine mist doesn't bother me. A baldheaded friend complained that his pate was getting wet. :lol:
Shiro
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Jiminsav » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:57 pm

well, I think if you throw a tarp over the e-z up and then throw a rug on top of the tarp to hold it down, your stop the mist.. :thumbsup:
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby ceebe » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:59 pm

Gee, i'd pay extra to get one with a mist system out here in the desert
ceebe
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion