General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby BufordT » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:48 am

Mike,

Wanted to tell you thanks for creating this board. The time, effort and money you have given is unmatched.

I really appreciate the fact that we all can post our tears in different places on this board and not be blasted by the people who try and stop some of us from coming up with different ideas.

We can all learn something and sometimes we find that the old way is the best way and sometimes we find that there is a better way.

Thanks again.

Buford :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Ross Wade » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:19 am

I second that. I don't feel intimidated here. This is a great place to explore different avenues of building. And I must say, a fast growing board too.

Thanks for all that you do Mike. Ross
Ross
Southern Appalachian Tearjerker Chapter Director
Ross Wade
Southern TearJerker

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:43 am

Yes, I am encouraged!!! :D Keep up the good work posting, you guys are doing a wonderful job. Keep spreading the word too! Post links to this forum everywhere you go!!! :wink:

Ross Wade wrote:I second that. I don't feel intimidated here. This is a great place to explore different avenues of building. And I must say, a fast growing board too.

Thanks for all that you do Mike. Ross
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Thanks

Postby Wild Mike » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:59 am

Hey Guys ... I guess I'll add my 2 cents and say thanks also. I've just come out of reading mode and am starting to build my tear. I guess mine fits into the not quite a whole Tear. :lol:

I'm building a small sleeping tear with no galley. I'm a Scoutmaster that has decided ... OK ... my old body is telling me it doesn't like the hard ground anymore. With the scouts all you need to the troop kitchen box and a campfire. I'll be building a small removeable kitchen box to hold my dutch oven (when I get one) and other personal cooking things.

You can see what I've started at : http://community.webshots.com/user/marshal_mello

Again adding my Thanks for all the info the teardrop community has shared with me and the is new site !
Wild Mike
Wild Mike
Teardrop Advisor

Thanks

Postby Wild Mike » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:13 am

Hey Guys ... I guess I'll add my 2 cents and say thanks also. I've just come out of reading mode and am starting to build my tear. I guess mine fits into the not quite a whole Tear. :lol:

I'm building a small sleeping tear with no galley. I'm a Scoutmaster that has decided ... OK ... my old body is telling me it doesn't like the hard ground anymore. With the scouts all you need to the troop kitchen box and a campfire. I'll be building a small removeable kitchen box to hold my dutch oven (when I get one) and other personal cooking things.

You can see what I've started at : http://community.webshots.com/user/marshal_mello

Again adding my Thanks for all the info the teardrop community has shared with me and the is new site !
Wild Mike
Wild Mike
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Thanks

Postby BufordT » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:45 am

Hey Wild Mike. I like the small tear. Some of these things give you a lot to think about. I've got to recheck the truck camper that's on here also. If you have a truck why do you have to have the galley. Take all that stuff in the back of the truck and use it to cook out of.

Keep us posted.

Bufordt :twisted:

I'm building a small sleeping tear with no galley. .

Wild Mike[/quote]
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Re: Thanks

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:20 am

Hi Mike,

That's quite a wild tear. Hmmmm that must be how you got your name, eh? Anyways, I was looking at the curves on your tear. They are quite steep. I think you'll have a hardtime bending 1/8" plywood over those curves long way. You'll probably have to rotate the skin 90* and bend them that way. That is- cut the plywood to 4' x 4' and bend it the easy way, with the grain!

What is the size of that donated trailer anyways?

Mike..

Wild Mike wrote:Hey Guys ... I guess I'll add my 2 cents and say thanks also. I've just come out of reading mode and am starting to build my tear. I guess mine fits into the not quite a whole Tear. :lol:

Wild Mike
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Thanks

Postby Wild Mike » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:58 am

The donor trailer was an old aluminum popup with a canvas top. We had to make a new top when we bought it. Instead of canvas we made it out of Non rip Nylon using the old top as a pattern. After about a year of camping my wife's and son's allergies made it not fun to camp ! I sold it to my brother for $100 bucks about 12 years ago !

A couple of months ago I found the Teardrops as I was surfing the net and was hooked. In talking to my brother about getting another pickup to haul the wood for my woodworking projects, he said he still had the camper and It was mine to haul away. :lol:

I was amazed as I stripped it down ... the floor was 3/4" plywood sitting on top of a small channel frame that measured 3' x 5' box with another 3' for the tongue. It does indicate that most of the new frames are over built and heavier.

The only hassle is that he couldn't find the registration and the BMV didn't have any record of it after 10 years. :cry: So I have to apply for a homebuilt title, but it doesn't seem to involved here in Indiana ... just a police inspection and a side photo and bill of sale for the donor trailer.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it ! :lol: :lol:
Wild Mike
Wild Mike
Teardrop Advisor

Return to General Discussion