Heating trailer with Kerosene lamp + vent pipe?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby bobhenry » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:00 pm

alffink wrote:Hey guys, remember the point of Jims question.....
He is trying to have a limited source of heat for a Chalet, the "A" frame style pop-up, not a teardrop, that's a whole lot more cubic feet of area to heat.....

now if your willing to run pipe for this, how about the Potbelly stove one of the guys uses, darn, can't remember who has it, itis actually a sales-miniture, just a scaled down replica but appears to be a great solution for him. Sits in a window box, with the chimney never coming directly into the trailer.

:thinking:

WHAT !

A wood stove in a teardrop !

:thumbsup:

Last edited by bobhenry on Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby alffink » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:09 pm

Sorry Bob

Thought it was your tear, but couldn't find a post at the moment to be positive....
I would like to do something similar on a future build, nice and homey with a real country feel to it.
alffink
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:20 pm

34 degrees to 78 degrees in 12 minutes.

Last edited by bobhenry on Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:31 pm

jimqpublic wrote: I've realized that if mounted on a shelf over the foot area of a TD it wouldn't have much of a stovepipe. More like a roof jack and a very short piece of pipe to direct the gasses out. The lanterns I listed are 12" and 15".

I suppose a similar chimney arrangement could be used with a propane lantern, which would provide a lot more radiant heat, but also way too much light.

Ever watch the old cowboy movies or little house on the prarie. The pot belly stove pipe ran forever thru the building this is your radiant heat.
If you look close at my chimney you will notice it is automotive exhaust pipe. Have it bent as a one or two piece stack and run it as long as possible if you make that heated stack air work to get out it will give up 30 maybe 40 % of the stack heat back into the tear without the first fume by radiation from the steel stack. I paid about $15.00 for my little 2 piece stack that's in the picture. :D

As to way too much light put the lantern in a 6" or 8" black stove pipe and punch a few holes as a night light. The more heat up the stack and more to radiate out. The lantern is protected from accidental contact and just adapt down for the stack.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:41 pm

P.S.

A pie pan makes a great non combustable wall thimble.

99 cents at [ yep you guessed it ] Goodwill :lol:
Last edited by bobhenry on Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby rebapuck » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:21 pm

Maybe it's just me, but a flame of any kind in a camper scares the bejeesus out of me.

I do use my propane cooktop, but when I'm done, it's turned off. The manifold is turned off and the tank is turned off....everytime.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Wimperdink » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:52 pm

Bob I saw your wood stove ages ago and loved it.... I've looked all over the internet for one (at the right price) and came up with nothing. What terms do I use to find one like it. Other than mini potbelly stove. :) I have a lot of ideas where one of those would come in perfectly.

I found a lot of stoves but whatever I use needs to be small and skinny. The caboose stoves are neat but pricey and for the most part too big for what I want.
Image You know a man is on the level if his bubble is in the middle.
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:58 pm

I joke a bit about my silly little wood stove but I have made every concession for safety that I knew to make. The floor of Neich is ceramic tile as a hearth. The box was lined with corregated steel as a reflective barrier between the stove and the combustable box. As mentioned there are 2 thimbles one inside and one outside to hold the stack tight and to provide 3" of clearance from stack to the combustable wood box. The stack is braced and clamped solidly to protect it from simply falling off or disconnecting allowing the flue gasses to back up into the trailer.
The entire neich is just clamped to the trailer window opening as a method of quick release in case of a serious problem. unclamp and shove if the situation warrants it. The stack is heavy gage steel and there are no seams or joints inside the tear.

I have not and should have both a smoke and CO detector and a good small fire extinguisher at hand. These three will happen before the next use.

I am a very light sleeper and check and feed it often. The fuel magazine only accepts 4 - 5 baby block sized wood chunks at a feeding. Don't get me wrong it gets HOT and could have disasterious consequences if taken lightly but I do not. I have heated whole or in part with wood in my home since the oil embargo of 78.

I am not afraid of a fire, a fire would wake both of us it is the smoke that sneaks up and puts out your lights hence the smoke and co detectors role.

I have no flamable fluids to spill and rapidly spread a fire just a few coals.

Reacting to the crash you could conceivably scoop up bed cloths and all and toss the accident out the door, lantern fuel might be a bit more of a problem.

Camping comes with risks of all types and even an electrical heater can and has started a fire so being a bit cautious is always a good thing.

P.S. Don't wipe with poision Ivy of torment the raccoons either.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby rebapuck » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:06 pm

Last year I gave away a tiny wood stove. I had found it in an antique shop years ago, before I ever got a camper.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

heater

Postby Bald Cypress » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:08 pm

This looks as if it would work

http://www.heatstick.com/_KanHeet01.htm :thinking:
Bald Cypress
Teardrop Builder

Postby bobhenry » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:10 pm

Wimperdink wrote:Bob I saw your wood stove ages ago and loved it.... I've looked all over the internet for one (at the right price) and came up with nothing. What terms do I use to find one like it. Other than mini potbelly stove. :) I have a lot of ideas where one of those would come in perfectly.

I found a lot of stoves but whatever I use needs to be small and skinny. The caboose stoves are neat but pricey and for the most part too big for what I want.

"Cast iron salesmans samples" (works best)

or "small cast iron pot belly stove"

This exact one show up on e bay about every 3 or 4 months .

Joy Iron works erie PA (i think) is cast in it and it is about 14" tall.

If you are lucky enough to find one have them remove the legs or pack them extra well for shipping as they are fragile. Mine was a little over $70.00 complete with mini tools [poker and top lid lifter]. Some folks are 1/2 crazy and think they are gold plated others almost give them away. Just bide your time and one will show up.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: heater

Postby bobhenry » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:25 pm

Bald Cypress wrote:This looks as if it would work

http://www.heatstick.com/_KanHeet01.htm :thinking:

In Louisiana maybe !!! :roll:

Our 1st winter camping outing was -1 with a -15 windchill. :snowstorm:

P.S. you can build this one for about $5.00
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Mightydog » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:32 pm

rebapuck wrote:Maybe it's just me, but a flame of any kind in a camper scares the bejeesus out of me.

+1
Mightydog
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby kirkman » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:46 pm

Here is some source's for small stoves and charcoal heaters.
This first one is very aforadable.
http://www.fatscostoves.com/

http://www.marinestove.com/sardineinfo.htm

http://www.bengco.co.uk/

http://www.shipmatestove.com/Results.cfm?category=6

And my favorite! how to make your own
http://www.bluemoment.com/simplestove.html

:D :thumbsup:
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:58 pm

:o Combustibles use up oxygen and leave a whole bunch of carbon monoxide. I suggest an air tight anything inside.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide_poisoning

Not an issue for me because I really don't want to sleep with the light on.. :?
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion