Crazy Harbor Freight hitch

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Crazy Harbor Freight hitch

Postby beverlyt » Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:25 pm

Hello all,
I noticed on the teardrop forum someone mentioned trouble with their Harbor Freight hitch. Well, I've had problems with this hitch from the start.
Here's a pic:
http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=238
and underneath:
http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=239
We have NEVER seen a hitch like this before. When we tighten down the doo-hicky on top, Bob can barely get it undone, let alone myself! And we believe you have to tighten it down to tighten it to the ball.
This is what we're use to:
http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=240
We are seriously considering cutting off the original hitch and welding in this regular hitch. Anyone else think this is a crazy setup?
Bev
P.S. Mike, I'm glad this forum allows me to post pictures here. I'm all out of room on my free website page! :roll:
Last edited by beverlyt on Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby Jiminsav » Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:55 pm

Hey Bev,
That hitch you have is a all in one hitch..the purpose of it is so that you don't have to change ball sizes all the time..it's a very good hitch, but it does require some man handleing..when we use the one at work, we tighten it snug, and usually have to hammer it off when we are done, sooooo, your not having problems with it, your just not used to beating the heck out of your equipment. :lol:
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby beverlyt » Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:01 pm

Jim,
So I'm suppose to bring a hammer along to beat it loose?
One of the reasons I wanted a teardrop was for a trailer I could handle all by myself. And what should I tighten it down with since I'm not all that strong? I need to know I can get it tightened down correctly and then get the bugger loose!
Frankly, the other hitch sure seems the easier of the two for me.
Thanks for the info!
Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:24 pm

Hey Bev,

That doesn't even look like fun. I would run the trailer down to the local muffler shop and tell them to cut that off. Then have them weld on the normal style hitch like you have in your last picture. That'll be a good investment, ESPECIALLY if you have to hitch up all by yourself!!! :roll:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby beverlyt » Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:30 pm

Mike,
Bob's going to cut it off and weld on the "normal" one for me. I think I'd be dangerous with the other one all by myself! :shock:
Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby beverlyt » Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:38 pm

We worked on our hitch today.
Ground the original hitch down just enough to set the new hitch on top of it. We then drilled holes, inserted large bolts with lock-tite nuts and have a regular hitch again!
This made the hitch about 5 1/2 inches longer than the old one. Should work fine and it's something I can handle!
http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=244
We may also weld it a little...but probably isn't really needed since we attached it to the welded portion already there.
Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

HF Hitch

Postby jlrelp » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:25 pm

I have the same problem I saw on HF web site or on a tear drop site to cut off the hitch and wield on another. I got part cut off after using 8 cutting disc. Took it to a trailer repair place and they cut it off. I had an 2 in. square tubing. weilded it on then after i got home the compler is 2 1/2 in. need to find a 2" Square.

That is an bad design..
John
jlrelp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby beverlyt » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:32 pm

John,
I agree! Apparently they call it a "hand wheel" coupler, though I have yet to find such a critter pictured on trailer coupler sites.
All I know is we really disliked the critter and wanted a conventional type. This fix should do the trick just fine.
Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:53 am

beverlyt wrote:We worked on our hitch today.
Ground the original hitch down just enough to set the new hitch on top of it. We then drilled holes, inserted large bolts with lock-tite nuts and have a regular hitch again!
Bev

Ah, that looks much better Bev!!! Now you can go out and have some fun, sans hammer!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Joseph » Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:20 am

Hey Bev,

Ah! Now that I can see the pictures (all I was getting earlier were thumbnails) I see what you're talking about. What I don't understand is that this is a hitch that came with an HF trailer? Which one? I thought they came with either 2" (on the 1800 lb) or 1 7/8" (on the 990 lb) hitches.

Anyway, glad you got the problem solved!

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby beverlyt » Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:55 am

Joseph,
Yep, I changed my pictures from thumbnail. (I'll get this sending pictures right yet!)
My trailer is the one that Kevin (Kuffel Creek) recommends from Harbor Freight. :
1800 LB. CAPACITY SUPER HEAVY DUTY 4 X 8 UTILITY TRAILER
This workhorse has 3 leaf spring/side suspension for a quiet ride. Heavy 11-gauge steel for a lifetime of service. Comes with large red stop/turn signals and wiring harness. Also includes safety chain and 2'' coupler. Add your own planks for a durable wood bed. Bed tilts to the ground for easy loading and unloading of rider mowers, ATVs, and more.
Load capacity: 1800 lbs.
Overall length: 11-1/2 feet
Overall width: 5-1/2 feet
Tire size: 12'' rim DOT certified 5 lug
ITEM 40597-4VGA
Bob said he'd never seen such a trailer coupler in all the trailers he's seen before. Everything else about the trailer was fine.
We're much happier with the new one.
Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Return to General Discussion