Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Frank » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:18 pm

Yes, the A/C unit pulls in cool air on the sides and the top, it exhaust hot air from the rear, you need a baffle to stop the rear exhausting air from re-entering the sides and top vents in the unit's outer shell. Your unit is 1 1/2 to 2" off the drain pan and I thought you had that much room on each side. If that is correct you can put a baffle across the chimney at the bottom of your unit, thus leting the cool air from the bottom of the chimney to enter underneath the unit going up the sides into the unit exiting the rear of the unit and due to the baffle is forced upward and out the top of the chimney.

Hope that helps, :oops:
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

Postby Jiminsav » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:18 pm

their hot AND they cold...two great tastes in one
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:23 pm

Frank wrote:Yes, the A/C unit pulls in cool air on the sides and the top, it exhaust hot air from the rear, you need a baffle to stop the rear exhausting air from re-entering the sides and top vents in the unit's outer shell. Your unit is 1 1/2 to 2" off the drain pan and I thought you had that much room on each side. If that is correct you can put a baffle across the chimney at the bottom of your unit, thus leting the cool air from the bottom of the chimney to enter underneath the unit going up the sides into the unit exiting the rear of the unit and due to the baffle is forced upward and out the top of the chimney.

Okay, I understand what you are saying. The problem is, there isn't enough fresh air flow if I make an exhaust baffle as you describe. Of course it would work now, that I have that huge hole in the side. :roll:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby john » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:28 pm

I didn't know the hole in the side of your tear had always been there. I thought it was a recent cut to increase air flow and was wondering how the air being exhausted was entering the A/C in the first place. I wondering if the intake routing was too restrictive and decide if it was separated from the exaust. Maybe I need to look at your build pics again.

john
Build I -- Scenic ---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8121727@N04/
Goto the Tear Build file

Build II -- Scenic II ---
viewtopic.php?t=29603

Build III -- Scenic Solo---
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50324

Travel Blog----Now without Political Commentary
http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -2009.html

The Constitution was ratified, not an interpretation thereof...

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Postby Frank » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:38 pm

Ok, if you want to leave that big hole in the side you still need to seperate it from the exhausting air out the top. I put a 4 1/2" X 17" hole in the bottom of mine, and it is working, just can't get it out on the road. :( I forgot what size we cut in yours.
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

Postby john » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:39 pm

I thought you had a build journal but i can't find it now. I remember seeing the hole in the roof solution, though.

john
Build I -- Scenic ---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8121727@N04/
Goto the Tear Build file

Build II -- Scenic II ---
viewtopic.php?t=29603

Build III -- Scenic Solo---
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50324

Travel Blog----Now without Political Commentary
http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -2009.html

The Constitution was ratified, not an interpretation thereof...

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:52 pm

Oh I understand the question now. Originally there is a 2"x22" duct from underneath the teardrop into the ac compartment. It was far too restrictive.

That's why I cut the big hole in the side. I know that works...

Here's the shot from my Baja Benroy, prior to putting in the exhaust baffle

The build journal is at http://www.mikenchell.com/live/index-frame.html

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Frank » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:00 pm

Boy, reckon that engeer (me) screwed that up! You had 44sq" and I have 76sq" Don't seem like a lot more, but mine is closer to the floor like right on it.
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:10 pm

As long as there's a way to recover, right? Now how do I match the paint for the grill to the birch? I guess I just have to drag the teardrop to the store, and set it on the color matching computer... :? :lol:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

12 fans

Postby Guy » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:57 pm

Dear Mike,

The 12v fans are placed blowing between the heat exchanger and the main body. They facillitate air movement around the plate and thus increase efficiency.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:31 pm

Darn Mike
Thats a shame that you had to cut the hole in the side of the Dinner :cry: . But the exhaust problem is why my AC sits on a bench in front of the trailer and ducts through the front window. I have room to put it under one of the benches but I couldn't figure how to duct enough air flow in and out to cool the condenser and compressor. I thought that I could put vents in from the bottom for the side vents of the AC and then vent the exhaust out the side like you are doing the intake on yours but than I figured I only be needing it 2 to 3 months a year and it sounded like to much work for right now. Maybe on the next one.
Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby madjack » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:47 pm

mikeschn wrote:Madjack,

The aluminum is a good idea, but I'm afraid that would cut down the cross sectional area of the exhaust too much...

Mike...

...the only crossectional area you haveta worry about is the opening at the top, a piece of aluminum from the bottom of the AC , sloped to back of the opening would give a dead air space against the galley wall(any space at all would be sufficient) insulating it from the heat and giving adequate exit space for air...virtually as much as you have now

madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:13 am

I want to get one of those vents for my battery box but I'm concerned that water will get in while driving in the rain.

Since you are only allowing for intake on one side (as far as I can tell) you have cut the condenser efficiency in half because cool air hits the coils on one side. If you separate the intake air so that the air hits both sides it may help. Inserting a piece of wood that is even with the top of the unit (parallel to the ground) if the vent is tall enough to allow it.

Another one that is even with the vertical back of the unit will separate the intake and exhaust air. A ramp to allow a clean exit of the exhaust may help also.

Rereading the old posts, I think these are the same thing that madjack said.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Frank » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:08 pm

Steve,
Do you have any of that cherry plywood left? Need a piece about 18" X 36" in order to make a patch for the "Little Diner" shaped like the USA. :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :applause: ;)
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion