Getting Started

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Getting Started

Postby jlrelp » Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:12 am

Got started on the tear drop last week. After I drop white paint all over my wifes black car, it was time to stop working on the boat and clean out the garage and start on the tear drop .. Hope it will keep me out of trouble. Building the 8' Cubby on the HF trailer. Have the decking frame done.

photos on www.richarjl.itgo.com

will add more photosany

any new ideas on building the Cubby not in the plans????

Hope to add the deck this week..
John
jlrelp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby beverlyt » Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:19 pm

John,
Nice website. Ahh, those pictures bring back memories of when we had just got started on our Cubby. It'll start looking like a teardrop before you know it.
The Cubby plans are great, but we often had to request help from Kevin at Kuffel Creek (very helpful) and also received much help from sites such as these.
We stayed pretty close to plans. A couple of things to watch out for, even with the plans:
l. Make sure you want the overhead cabinets. We built them in, though at times I wonder if we should have. You really have to watch your "overhead" space or you can bump your noggin. (several times in fact) The cupboards are useful for storage though....
2. DON'T cut your galley hinge off. Leave it long!
3. Make sure you leave enough room for your stove to fit in the galley with the hatch shut. We thought we did... nope...stove has to travel sitting up on it's side.
4. If you plan on putting a footwell in for a table, make sure you center the footwell with the doors. Otherwise, it just plan isn't going to work out. Ours is off center, fine for what it was intended for (porta-potti)..won't work for a table.
No real new ideas...just problems we made that I'd like others to avoid!
Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Thanks

Postby jlrelp » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:17 am

Thanks for all the great ideas on the Cubby.

Also Got the new hitch yesterday. will insall it today or this week end

Saw aobut leaving the galley hinge long will do that.

Still thinking about the overhead cabinets

Have a large stove need to look at that ,also i am not cutting the floor hatch. Again things for all the help, had to email kuffle on the frame size 471/4 and cutting down the plywood deck. my not just make it 4".

like you will go with the plans unti it will be better to do something else...
have a good day
John
jlrelp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby beverlyt » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:06 am

Hey John,
Just checked your site again. Wow, you're cruising right along on your project! The new coupler/hitch looks great!
We're leaving tomorrow for our first camp-out in the trailer. Below Jackson, Michigan...meeting up with Mike and Michelle and Kurt from Indiana. Can't wait!
We'll take lots of pictures.
Again, great job on your trailer! Fun to watch it progress!
Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Return to General Discussion